Seeking advice for beginning weight training.

Options
I am a 25 year old woman, and I really want to add significant weight training to my fitness regime. I previously worked with a personal trainer specifically for weight training, so I have a fairly decent knowledge of form/technique, my problem is I simply don't know how to set up a"program" for myself to determine WHAT exact exercises I should be doing on a given day, and to gauge reps, etc.

i would love any advice or book recommendations? I have access to a well-stocked gym, but I do not currently have anyone to work out with (I am new to the area and have a deployed spouse).

Thanks!

Replies

• J0ET
    J0ET Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Weight training is the absolute best way to transform your body and lose fat. If you haven't trained with weights for a while, you'll see a difference in your strength, endurance and figure pretty quick. How many days a week do you want to weight train? Based off of that, you can design a plan to hit all body parts within your time frame.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you plan on doing your lifting at the gym instead of at home. I was going to suggest getting the ChaLean Extreme program from beachbody b/c it is all about lifting. You can print the log charts out though from their website and it will give you pretty much a list of the lifts that are done in that video. I personally loved that workout b/c it taught me how to lift but if you already know that then I would just say print the workout sheets out and take them to the gym with you.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    new rules of lifting for women, or, starting strength by rippetoe
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    New rules for lifting or Stronglifts 5x5.
    If you go the Stronglifts route please follow the program to the letter.
    Youll be squatting 225 in 12 weeks if all goes well.

Starting Strength is fantastic as well but IMO SS and SL5x5 are just about the same.
    You willw ant to add chin ups or pull ups to both programs.
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the book "101 Muscle-Shaping Workouts & Strategies For Women" by Muscle & Fitness Hers (my favorite magazine). It addresses your entire workout - whether you're a beginner or advanced and gives sample routines with how-to pictures. It also has a "non-gym" routine option for each section in case you're traveling, etc.

Good luck! I have had a blast in the weight room!