Sodium

Options
Is it reasonable to keep your sodium between 1700 and 2000 on a 1400 calorie diet?

Replies

• leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    not sure, mfp tells me my daily goal for sodium is 2500 and i am on a 1200 cal.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    MPF is high on the sodium. The average adult is only supposed to consume between 1700mg and 2300mg a day. Any excess will cause water retention and bloating.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you should only have about 1500 mg per day, MFP is really high on the sodium, i change mine to 2000 and i'm usually way under anyways.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Yep, that's reasonable! I changed my sodium in the goals section to 2000... but sometimes I still go over. :ohwell: Seems most of my favorite low cal treats get their yumminess from salt. But I try... :indifferent:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    MFP is high on sodium - but what's really sad is that the average American gets anywhere from 4-5000mg a day! Pure craziness!
  • shavasana
    shavasana Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I need to be educated here.

I have always heard you should watch your sodium intake but I don't really know why.

Is it because it dehydrates? Contributes to high blood pressure and hypertension? I would appreciate anyone bringing me up to speed here.

My real concern is whether my sodium intake impacts my goals to build muscle. I noticed in my food diary yesterday that I almost doubled my daily goal of 2500mg of sodium per day. Should I be concerned and cut back on some of the higher sodium foods I am eating?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    2500 sodium is fine, really low levels (like under about 1000 mg) and really high levels (like above 7000 mg) a day can have some pretty bad side effects like nervous system issues, high blood pressure, muscle contraction failure, and other issues, but generally we are fine within the 1500 to 3000 mg bubble. Course more sodium means more water retention, and nobody wants that.

Don't worry, your kidneys expel excess sodium, and unless you go crazy with it (like, chug a salt shaker), you should be fine.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    2500 sodium is fine, really low levels (like under about 1000 mg) and really high levels (like above 7000 mg) a day can have some pretty bad side effects like nervous system issues, high blood pressure, muscle contraction failure, and other issues, but generally we are fine within the 1500 to 3000 mg bubble. Course more sodium means more water retention, and nobody wants that.

Don't worry, your kidneys expel excess sodium, and unless you go crazy with it (like, chug a salt shaker), you should be fine.

You mean I have to give up my secret salt lick addiction? :angry:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

You mean I have to give up my secret salt lick addiction? :angry:

LOL, nahh, go nuts. Just chug a gallon of water after, and remember not to walk or breath to heavilly for a few hours after. :glasses: