My body

Options
My body is not one that is always welcomed aesthetically.

It is straight, with few curves. It has broad, strong shoulders, and lots of muscles. It is hard from years of running, lifting, hiking, and horseback riding, and long shifts as a nursing assistant. It is not soft, because soft is not its purpose.

My body has a hard job. It's attached to a mind that is ambitious, and asks a lot of it. It has to be able to run 8 miles in the morning, toss hay bales around lunchtime, get on horseback to doctor cows in the afternoon, and still have enough energy to clean the house and chase the toddler around at night.

It has to be able to do all that, yet be gentle enough to wipe up a nosebleed from a toddler's small nose, or hold the arm of a frail 95 year-old as they walk slowly down the hall. It is strong, yet it is gentle; it is controlled.

My body works long hours, and it does not give up, because my mind does not allow it to stop. It wants a break, like all bodies, but it cannot stop long, because it has too many jobs to do to take a break.

It is hard from necessity, compact and strong, and it does not care what others think of it, so long as the job gets done.

My body is a form of its function, and that function is hard work.

What does your body reflect about you? What is your body a function of?