what do you eat pre and post workout?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna read the answer cause the people tends on saying things that are SO wrong

With no disrespect intended, this is ironic.
    How is this ironic?

Most likely, they are referring to the fact that your sentence made no sense.

Nah, it had nothing to do with grammar. It to do with the information contained within the response.
  • bambiemd
    bambiemd Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm not gonna read the answer cause the people tends on saying things that are SO wrong

How is this ironic?

Nah, it had nothing to do with grammar. It to do with the information contained within the response.

So explain yourself please, teach me something I don't know please :)
  • cior
    cior Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana and milk before sometimes. Just something small enough to nom on, so I felt like I started the day. After I eat something typically lunch. I just make sure in my day I have a banana and protein. It helps my body for the next workout or next day soreness.
  • Acg67
    Options

How is this ironic?

So explain yourself please, teach me something I don't know please :)

Ok, where did you get that drinking a protein shake before a workout would increase lipolysis by nearly 100% Why do you NEED protein and carbs right after you workout? And is it whey, casein or the combo of the two that burns belly fat, or maybe it's neither , since you can't spot reduce eating magical foods.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by "workout".. to me "workout" means strength training. It is important to have protein and carbs in your system before lifting. If you consider "workout" cardio then it is not important. I do cardio 1st thing in the morning on an empty stomach. On lifting days (5am) I have a protein shake w/ steel cut oats @ 4am before heading to the gym. Post workout I either have another protein shake or a meal depending on what else I have to do before work.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I find that if I have not eaten very much the night before and do not have something in the morning before my work out, my performance suffers. However, as to when you have it, and what you should have, because there is quite a long window for absorbtion, as long as you hit your macros for the day, I do not think it really matters to the 'average joe'. Now, I am sure that there are some folks who may argue against that, but I really believe that people spend too much time over-thinking these things. Unless you are really really seriously body building/training, keep it simple - just hit your daily calorie goal and your macros.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Pre-workout nothing, just a lunch a couple hours before.
    Post-workout : king feast
  • bambiemd
    Options
    The carb is used to refuel muscles drained of glycogen (the energy source needed to fuel muscle activity). Protein is "instrumental" in rebuilding muscle -- damaged from a tough workout. Combined, they create a 1-2 punch that tops up energy stores in anticipation of the next w-o.

A phenomenon called "hypersaturation" occurs when food is consumed withing 20 mins immediately following exercise. The muscle is starving and it acts like a vaccum to restore the glycogen content.

The ideal mix for most ppl is 30 grams of carbs with 10 grams of protein.

N drinking a carbohydrate-protein mixt before your workout leads to greater uptake of the amino acids in your muscles
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I eat nuts a few hours before I workout. On strength training days I drink a recovery shake (protein and carbs) after my workout.
  • Acg67
    Options
    The carb is used to refuel muscles drained of glycogen (the energy source needed to fuel muscle activity). Protein is "instrumental" in rebuilding muscle -- damaged from a tough workout. Combined, they create a 1-2 punch that tops up energy stores in anticipation of the next w-o.

A phenomenon called "hypersaturation" occurs when food is consumed withing 20 mins immediately following exercise. The muscle is starving and it acts like a vaccum to restore the glycogen content.

N drinking a carbohydrate-protein mixt before your workout leads to greater uptake of the amino acids in your muscles

And why would you need to replenish glycogen immediately after a workout, unless you had another glycogen depleting event shortly upcoming?

The so called window of opportunity/anabolic window persists up to 24hrs

And a small dose of protein without carbs will maximally stimulate MPS
  • bambiemd
    Options

And why would you need to replenish glycogen immediately after a workout, unless you had another glycogen depleting event shortly upcoming?

Ah wow you're making me lose my poker game

Eating excess protein after exercise doesnt refuel the muscles... Carbs r necessary to take advantage of this period of muscle cell hunger.

I would need to talk about adenosine triphosphate just to get into the oxygen/protein/fat/glycogen-carbs matter and my english is not good enough for that. So unless you're french and want to talk about it, I suggest you do some research on the last studies made, and keep yourself up to date with fitness magazine because what they thought 10 years ago isn't right anymore, and the proved it.
  • muppetsbear
    muppetsbear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    On cardio mornings I start at 6 am. I have a large glass of water, porridge with skim milk or an oikos yogurt and a banana along with 5 grams of Glutamine. I do 65 mins of cardio 30 ellipticle HI, 20 mins interval running and 15 mins incline bike this is 4 days a week. When I finish I have a glass of chocolate milk (skim) within 15 mins followed by 2 poached eggs if I have time before work or at least 2 slices of 12 grain toast with jam (low sugar). Followed by 5 grams glutamine.

For weight days at night water and supper. I do weights followed by chocolate milk (skim)

I'm no good at math it's 65 minutes of cardio.
  • Acg67
    Options

Ah wow you're making me lose my poker game

Eating excess protein after exercise doesnt refuel the muscles... Carbs r necessary to take advantage of this period of muscle cell hunger.

I would need to talk about adenosine triphosphate just to get into the oxygen/protein/fat/glycogen-carbs matter and my english is not good enough for that. So unless you're french and want to talk about it, I suggest you do some research on the last studies made, and keep yourself up to date with fitness magazine because what they thought 10 years ago isn't right anymore, and the proved it.

Likewise on the keeping up to date. Did I miss you substantiating that protein before a workout will increase lipolysis by nearly 100% or that whey/casein/a combo specifically targets belly fat?

Carbohydrate does not augment exercise-induced protein accretion versus protein alone. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011 Jul;43(7):1154-61

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21131864

CONCLUSIONS:

Our data suggest that insulin is not additive or synergistic to rates of MPS or MPB when CHO is coingested with a dose of protein that maximally stimulates rates of MPS

Disassociation between the effects of amino acids and insulin on signaling, ubiquitin ligases, and protein turnover in human muscle

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/295/3/E595.full

"However, it was surprising that adding insulin at higher than systemic postabsorptive concentrations had no further effects on MPS or LPS. We cannot account for these differences except to raise the possibility that in our studies the stimulatory effects of amino acids stimulated protein synthesis to a maximal extent and that further addition of insulin had no additional effect
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Good discussion. As a side note, there is merit to the pre- and post-workout nutrition thing but the problem is the "timing" that is advocated. The level of immediacy and timing people think is needed is a little nuts. I know Alan and Lyle have both advocated for consuming nutrients around workout.
  • mignon_ette
    Options
    Protein and carb mix exactly 42 minutes pre workout. Use an analog watch and sip on the protein when the second-hand is at 15, and sip on the carb when the second hand is at 45. Try to finish it within 5 minutes, for optimal delivery of the nutrients into your stores. Exactly 9 minutes after the workout, have a 14 oz recovery drink which has been cooled to exactly 36 degrees Fahrenheit. Drink it in 3 even gulps of exactly 4.666666667 ounces each. Then finally, and this is very important, crack your knuckles and exhale purposefully.

Just kidding. It doesn't matter.

This has to be the bestest thing I've ever read.

I hate eating by numbers... takes the joy out of food. Then again - maybe thats why I'm here.

In addition

I think that hot french girl and hot abs guy should just get a room and compare notes...... ppppfffft! :laugh:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Coffee before for some energy, otherwise depends on the day
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Protein and carb mix exactly 42 minutes pre workout. Use an analog watch and sip on the protein when the second-hand is at 15, and sip on the carb when the second hand is at 45. Try to finish it within 5 minutes, for optimal delivery of the nutrients into your stores. Exactly 9 minutes after the workout, have a 14 oz recovery drink which has been cooled to exactly 36 degrees Fahrenheit. Drink it in 3 even gulps of exactly 4.666666667 ounces each. Then finally, and this is very important, crack your knuckles and exhale purposefully.

omG i freakin GIVE UP!!!! hahahahaha:flowerforyou:
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    babies
    GetInMyBelly.jpg
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

LMAO
    OMG ... I was fully reading it goind OMG this person is hard core ... how the heeck do they know that ... then i see 'kidding' ... nicely done!!!
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    bump