For those who criticize.......

Options
microwoman999
microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
how bad your grammar is!........

I can read it can you?????

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs?
Olny smoe plepoe can. I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd
waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig
to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the
ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer
be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it
whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I was awlyas
tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

I am not an English major and it just stuck with me the last time someone corrected my
spelling and or abbreviation on one of these forums. We are here trying to get advice from others and trying
to better our lives! I wish people would be more considerate with that! I was made fun of
enough when I was a kid for being fat! I don't need to be made fun of now for my incorrect
spelling or abbreviation! I was already scarred for life you don't need to continue!

Please and thank you.

Replies

• xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    lol thats great I'm a horrible speller and i could read that just as fast as anything else.
  • microwoman999
    Options
    I had to post it for fun and to make others aware of how some people may feel. It really caught me off guard but was soo cool :noway:
  • bazuukajoe
    bazuukajoe Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I mean, it's one thing when you're writing a paper away from the computer, but there IS such a thing as spell check, and you DO have access to the internet... Meaning you can always Google a word you're not sure about spelling, not sure how to use, etc. It literally takes 5 seconds.

We literally have access to ALL information but human beings aren't getting any smarter. It's really sad. :cry:

"No, we aren't in English class. But just because we're not in a physics classroom, doesn't mean gravity stops working."
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Love this!!
  • microwoman999
    Options
    I mean, it's one thing when you're writing a paper away from the computer, but there IS such a thing as spell check, and you DO have access to the internet... Meaning you can always Google a word you're not sure about spelling, not sure how to use, etc. It literally takes 5 seconds.

We literally have access to ALL information but human beings aren't getting any smarter. It's really sad. :cry:

"No, we aren't in English class. But just because we're not in a physics classroom, doesn't mean gravity stops working."

I am not aware of EVERY mistake I type.....are you? It is not like I do it just to make a spectacle of myself! I am sure others who make mistakes don't know it either until somebody makes sure to point it out! That is my point. We are HUMAN, we make mistakes and that is life. Everyone needs to get off their high horse.
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    I didn't have a problem reading that, but it was written using correct grammar/punctuation. The words used were spelled properly in the sense that all of the letters needed to correctly spell the words were there. I didn't see a "losoe" in there instead of a "lsoe", and it wasn't written in txt tlk. It was easy to understand because it was still proper English and proper spelling. Proper spelling and punctuation is quite important in written language to accurately convey your message. A misspelled word can have an entirely different meaning than intended thus changing the meaning of an entire sentence, and changing a single sentence can change the meaning of a paragraph.

We should try to write properly on the internet. Most browsers can check your spelling as you type, and then it takes only a second to correct an error. There isn't a good reason why anyone should give up speaking or writing properly.

ETA: None of us are perfect, and we all make mistakes. We shouldn't get upset when those mistakes are brought to our attention unless the manner in which they're brought to our attention is hostile, abusive, or rude. We should learn from those mistakes and try not to keep making the same ones.
  • MrEmoticon
    MrEmoticon Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everyone should be able to read it. The mind is used to reading the written word, and auto-adjusts in some cases. It's why we need spell check, because scanning through a paper you could easily over look a typo, because your mind just won't recognize it if it can make sense of it without. Think of it as a computer translating broken english to proper.
  • bazuukajoe
    bazuukajoe Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I am not aware of EVERY mistake I type.....are you? It is not like I do it just to make a spectacle of myself! I am sure others who make mistakes don't know it either until somebody makes sure to point it out! That is my point. We are HUMAN, we make mistakes and that is life. Everyone needs to get off their high horse.

Misspelled words almost always have a red line under them when typing in a browser... It's pretty glaring and noticeable. You're pretty much on your own for grammar, but that's what proofreading is for. I read every post at least twice before I hit the "send/post reply" button. Just sayin'.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    English is not my native language and it is the case for many of us here. Think about it.

P.s. often I will use a word that I think is right but I use the wrong spelling (soar vs sore) and hopefully my friends tell me
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Was the misuse of 'literally' deliberate in this post?

:-)
  • meerkat70
    Options
    English is not my native language and it is the case for many of us here. Think about it.

Thing is, it's often the case that second language users use English less sloppily than many native English speakers. I've seen many of your posts, and never thought 'wow, that chick's language usage is bad'. Or even worse 'I really can't understand what that poster is saying'. Unfortunately, the same can't always be said for many apparently English speaking posters.

I don't think it's asking a lot that people at least try to make their posts coherent.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I've actually found that those who have english as a second language are better with spelling and grammar, because they have to pay more attention. I'm not an English teacher either, but I do notice when something isn't correct. I never say anything though. I just cringe and move on. I think the people that correct others on their spelling or grammar, just want to feel superior for some reason. Not my cup of tea :flowerforyou:
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what the research finding you mention has to do with grammar. The finding that the placement of letters within a word has little to do with the ability to read, especially when one is essentially skimming (as people often seem to do in forums) is interesting, but does not pertain to issues of grammar and style.

Years ago I skimmed a document looking for a specific key word/subject (a technical term), when I found the appropriate section, and actually tried to read, I figured out very quickly that the entire document was in Dutch. Does my ability to visually scan for a specific term and find that term mean that I could understand the rest of the paragraph that was written in Dutch? No, it does not. My point is that word scanning and comprehension are two entirely different skills, just because I can figure out what word you intended to use (a spelling error) does not mean I can make sense of what you are trying to say overall. So much of what I see written in forums is very "stream of consciousness," often to the point that I do not know what the author of the post is trying to say. I'm not hung-up on grammar, but I'm often left shaking my head at the posts I read.

Also, many people seem to type in either all caps or all lower case, this is very hard to read, especially if they do not use punctuation either.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Melissant, you are entirely right.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Yeah I remember when this was going around the internet like 10 years ago. I've never understood why it says, "If you can read this, you have a strange mind", and then goes on to explain that letter order doesn't matter. Makes no sense at all.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I used to be something of a grammar/spelling Nazi, but not anymore. I learned to read when I was two and write when I was three, so it's always seemed innate to me (since I don't remember learning it). It used to drive me crazy when people would make the same obvious mistakes over and over.

Then I met my boyfriend. He's very intelligent and tries his hardest, but has a serious learning disability when it comes to writing. He knows generally what it should look like but has extreme difficulty replicating it. I've been helping him for years (we've been together for nearly nine years now) and he's made incredible improvement, but it's slow going.

I think a lot of people simply chalk it up to laziness or apathy (which I still think is a significant factor for many bad spellers), but fail to realize that there may be legitimate reasons behind it.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I am a self-confessed grammar nazi, and I first saw this thing years ago, but I still love it.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options

^^O.M.G, I LOVE this :love:
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I think it's more helpful to correct someone than to let it go. What if the person doesn't realize they are doing it?

Also, Firefox, tells me when I mistype, problem solved. Of course word usage can't be helped there..your, their, lose,etc.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I've actually found that those who have english as a second language are better with spelling and grammar, because they have to pay more attention. I'm not an English teacher either, but I do notice when something isn't correct. I never say anything though. I just cringe and move on. I think the people that correct others on their spelling or grammar, just want to feel superior for some reason. Not my cup of tea :flowerforyou:
    Second this. Of all the things we have to worry about in whatever weight struggle we're in, someone's spelling/grammar is really inconsequential. I try my best but I'm certainly not going to worry whether I've spelled every little thing correctly or that I have perfect punctuation. Does that make me lazy? Maybe - but like anything, life is too short to sweat the small stuff. If you don't like how I wrote it, don't read it.