Is it necessary to be thin to be a strong runner?

Options
I completed my first race this weekend, a 4-mile one. I was proud of my time ( sub 9 minute miles), but I was mostly in awe of the runners who were there doing the 10 mile race. I noticed that almost every single one of those runners doing the 10 mile race was thin. The four mile runners were very varied--many different body types--but the 10 milers were all very lean.

So I'm asking this: to be a strong long-distance runner who is able to run and not walk the distance, is it necessary to have a fairly low BMI? I have always been around the top of a healthy BMI--would it be necessary for me to lower it in order to be successful at the longer distances? or does it just happen that most people who train that hard are thin?

Replies

• adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Depends on your defintion of a strong runner. I knew one guy in basic training that looked like a small arnold and could run 2 miles like the wind, I was suprised. He will probably never be top notch marathon runner, however. Typically, the heavier you are, the harder long distance and endurance sports are for you. If if is heaviness due to fat, slef explanatory. If you are very muscular, those muscles need oxygen to function and you will tire easier than a person who is basically thin endurance machine.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Bump. I am in awe of what I call real runners as well ;)
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I think to be fast for longer distances (Marathon or longer?), you do have to have a lower bodyfat % and Lean muscle.

I am 5'10" 175lbs(as of today). I run anywhere from 5-10 miles on a given day and can average from 9-11 minute miles depending on my reslove.
    I have no doubt that as I get lighter(25 lbs left to lose) I will get faster and stay stronger, however, I think I am a pretty descent runner as is. So, No, I don't think you "HAVE" to be thin to be a stong runner but, it definatly helps. Especially if your looking into distance running.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    much more difficult to be an endurance athlete with substantial muscle mass even though you may be at a low body fat %. muscle is counter productive in some ways but has lots of metabolic advantages.
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I completed my first race this weekend, a 4-mile one. I was proud of my time ( sub 9 minute miles), but I was mostly in awe of the runners who were there doing the 10 mile race. I noticed that almost every single one of those runners doing the 10 mile race was thin. The four mile runners were very varied--many different body types--but the 10 milers were all very lean.

So I'm asking this: to be a strong long-distance runner who is able to run and not walk the distance, is it necessary to have a fairly low BMI? I have always been around the top of a healthy BMI--would it be necessary for me to lower it in order to be successful at the longer distances? or does it just happen that most people who train that hard are thin?

Recently ran a half-marathon at a 10-minute-mile pace (didn't walk a step). My BMI isn't high, but it isn't low either (23.19--I'm 5'8", 152.2 pounds). Trust me, you can be just as successful at long distances as anybody else--I trained incredibly hard for this half and didn't lose a pound (though I did lose inches) and I'd consider my time a fairly successful one. :smile:
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard such a thing.. A lot of marathon runners I've seen aren't thin. They are in a healthy bmi range but not on the lower end of it and they are very strong runners.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I think you might be confusing cause and effect... Are they strong runners because they are lean? I doubt it. They are lean because they regularly run long distances in preparation for the 10 mile race. Chances are if you made that 10 mile race your goal and trained for it you'd be leaner by the time you actually ran it. Just guessing!
  • supermom2002
    supermom2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You can be healthy, not thin, and still run long distances. there's thin people that can't even run.

Just keep getting out there and doing your best.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by strong. If you mean fast, like olympic marathoners running 7 minute miles, then yeah you probably have to be pretty thin. But that's not a be thin to run thing.. that's a be thin FROM running. Those guys are eating well and running 100s of miles a week, that's *****in cardio.

I completed a half marathon at somewhere around 285 pounds, but I wasn't quick about. I averaged like 14:30 miles.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Bump.
    curious to know also.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Right, I understand that there are tons of thin people out there who can't run. People can run because they train for it, of course. I am just wondering if a BMI on the high side of normal would hold me back, or if I trained hard enough, having a high-normal BMI wouldn't set me back or affect my time/distance.
    But as one commenter said, maybe I'd lose weight/inches anyway, from training so hard.
  • Littlerunner0514
    Littlerunner0514 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is a very good question. MY brother is an elite runner and he is very thin but I am a decent (i'd like to think) long distance runner with (currently) a middle to high healthy bmi and I run 8min/miles on average for half and full marathons...I really think it all depends on the person and what their body is capable.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    from running consistently the body will adapt accordingly to enable you to become a more efficient runner by dropping bodyweight (fat and muscle) and lowering ur BMI
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I'm 180 pounds and ran a recent 10.5 miler, averaging 7:18 minute miles. I've still got 10 pounds to lose, but "thin", I will never be. That's a 4-letter word in my book.

There is a calculation, which basically states for every pound you lose, you drop 2 seconds per mile from your pace. Hopefully, when I lose those final 10 pounds, it'll mean I'm 20 seconds faster per mile in my races.
  • medkid7
    medkid7 Posts: 1
    Options
    That's a good question. I ran some college track and the body types fell into three categories. Sprinters (less than half a mile) were "stockier" in build. They had incredible capacity to build muscle and spent more time doing it for explosive bursts of speed. My best friend was a sprinter and often complained about her thighs not being able to fit in her jeans any more because they were so muscular, but in contrast she could probably toss me 200 yards. The middle distance runners (half a mile to a mile distances - which is what I am: 5'9.5" 135 lbs now, 124 lbs then) were lean but we had middle capacity to build bulk. We didn't really want a ton of bulk, we want a medium amount. We also ran cross country but we usually weren't the best at it. The best long distance runners had the least to carry with them. Tiny little girls with tiny bone structures (if you watch the elite marathoners on TV they are like 5 feet tall and could fit in your suit case). They lifted rarely, and gained most strength from training. That being said our nutrition was DEFINITELY sub-optimal. It seemed like we could never get enough food in. In the long and middle distance crews menses were lost or greatly diminished, and stress fractures were the norm (aka I was basically the only girl on the team that got away without one likely due to the fact that I started with higher body fat than the other girls - read: normal :). This is NOT GOOD or healthy for the body. By training 60+ miles a week it's hard to maintain anything but a lean body habitus (and remember we weren't appropriately nourished).

All that aside, it is very important to remember what healthy means for you. Many of the leaner intense long distance runners in college are not healthy. I put myself at risk for osteoporosis dropping down to 124 considering my bone structure lends itself to a medium build (and made my poor mother cry!), you are likely much healthier than I was right here and now. Your under 9 minute miles is AWESOME, and truly an accomplishment. Your body may become leaner if you wish to train for those longer races by default but don't forget to increase your calories accordingly, and listen carefully to your body if uncharacteristic aches or pains come up that may foreshadow serious injury. You may indeed be the sort of woman whose body's ultimate athletic potential l is built more for middle distance or sprinting or some other field event in the end (which is powerful and beautiful as well :), but we don't have a lot of local sprints or hammer throws out there, and longer distance races are fun and challenging to run and train for. I have found it better to focus on overall health (which means not ignoring weight training despite my hatred of it, as well as increasing my food intake to appropriate levels leaving me a fat pad that protects my bone health). Your body type sounds similar to some of the most outstanding rowers I have had the pleasure of meeting!
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Options
    Thank you for the responses!
    Especially medkid7, thank you so much for taking the time to write a lengthy reply and giving me some perspective! My health is the most important thing--you are totally right.
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    it really depends on your fast versus slow twitch muscle fibers. A lot of it is genetic, you're born with more of one type than the other. Slow twitch muscle fibers use oxygen to generate energy and are typically for endurance, while fast-twitch ones are typically for short bursts and tired quickly (look at a marathoner compared to a sprinter).

I can't remember exactly, but in my Anatomy and Physiology textbook I think I remember it saying that your muscle can convert to another type and back, but only to an extent that is independent for every person. So its probably not necessary to be thin to be a strong runner (in the distance sense) but you will need more of those slow twitch muscle fibers if you want to go further without getting fatigued easily.
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    I'm 5'6.5" 168. bmi of 27.1.. I have a muscular frame. I'm really more of a sprinter but I can run a 10k (6miles) in 50 minutes (8ish minute miles) and I am an asthmatic ;-P

I dont see myself ever running more than 8 miles ever (in one shot, unlike the 12 mile tough mudder on this coming sunday!)

I feel like I can go at a 9 minute mile and run even longer but I dont have the attention span, really.

So the answer, no you dont have to be thin. But the more weight, and more muscle especially, the more cardiac-fit you need to be.
    Another user said oxygen is used by muscle. Mostly true of course (the legs and butt have the biggest muscles!)
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    MelKut -> not a bad summation! :-). being in med school, I tried to refrain from that type of stuff, but yes that's a HUGE part of the equation. Well done
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Options
    Interesting about the slow and fast twitch fibers. I remember hearing about those types, but didn't know you could convert a certain degree of them.
    I've got exercised-induced asthma, too, delco714....I just take my meds and I'm good, as long as I don't run in really cold, dry air.