Iron? Input needed

Options
So I was looking at a few reports today and noticed I'm typically eating about 40% of RDA for Iron. That doesn't seem good. What are good sources of iron? And don't tell me fried chicken livers because that ain't happening. Yuck! :sick: :laugh: Thanks!

Replies

• katealim
    katealim Posts: 45
    Options
    Green, leafy veggies.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest liver to anyone, it's so high in cholesterol you're begging for issues, IMHO.

Food sources:
    Beans, pastas that are enriched, asparagus, pumpkin seeds, blackstrap molassas, beef, shrimp, turkey, clams, mussels, spinach, cream of wheat.

I've also been told that if you cook food in a cast iron skillet/cast iron stovetop grill, some of the iron will enter the food - especially with acidic foods.
    http://blog.nutritiondata.com/ndblog/2009/01/cooking-in-cast.html
  • TaraDenise
    TaraDenise Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    In addition to what msarro stated...spinach. I've been anemic most of my life. I will be okay for a while but then I suddenly become tired and sluggish and have no energy at all. I experienced this about a week ago and knew immediately that my iron was low. I eat a lot of foods containing iron regularly, but in times like now, I have to take an iron supplement also. Be careful though, too much iron can be harmful to you as well.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest liver to anyone, it's so high in cholesterol you're begging for issues, IMHO.

Food sources:
    Beans, pastas that are enriched, asparagus, pumpkin seeds, blackstrap molassas, beef, shrimp, turkey, clams, mussels, spinach, cream of wheat.

I've also been told that if you cook food in a cast iron skillet/cast iron stovetop grill, some of the iron will enter the food - especially with acidic foods.
    http://blog.nutritiondata.com/ndblog/2009/01/cooking-in-cast.html

WOW. :noway: That is so interesting! Thanks for sharing that article!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    My biochem teacher told us that we could just lick the cast iron pan to get some extra....:laugh: