Dinner Dilema

Options
Help! I am trying to lose weight while my husband is trying to put on weight. Needless to say this makes dinner time particularly challenging. I am not interested in making two seperate dishes every night. Does anyone have any ideas or recipes that might give us the same base meal ( allowing me to loose) with extras added (allowing him to gain). For now he just eats more of what I'm having but he's not really seeing the results. Afterall Salmon is Salmon wether 4 oz. or 10oz. it still doesn't allow for weight gain.

Replies

• adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    You can have the same main thing, like meat, and he eats more like he's doing now, but you can add side dishes that you won't eat, stuff like potatos, pasta, stuff like that. It's not a separate meal, just a an extra side dish, and you have green salad instead. Or add rolls, bread that he would eat and not you.

I have 3 very skinny kids, one with an eating disorder (texture aversion) and 2 we recently adopted from Africa, and I have to plump them up while losing weight myself. So I feel your pain!

Sometimes I do make separate meals, they love mac and cheese but at nearly 600 cals a cup I'm never eating it again as long as I live... so sometimes I'll make something the kids don't like, usually fish related, and make them mac and cheese or spaghetti. They get to eat something they love with lots of cals, and I get to eat something I like but rarely have. I do that about once a month, and it feels more like a "treat" for me than anything.
  • tiff1632
    tiff1632 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Protein Protein Protein....
    If you are trying to lose and he is trying to gain (muscle) then you both need more protein and less carbs. Make a complex carb side (small), veggies, and a lean meat...and Preso! Dinner both of you can have! Remember he is going to need more protein than you. I sometime have the tendency to eat as much as my boyfriend. I just weigh everything so I know what I need and stop when I have fulfill my intake!
    Get the "clean eating diet" cookbook. WONDEFUL!!!!!
    Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    maybe fajitas and he can add guacamole sour cream and cheese
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Help! I am trying to lose weight while my husband is trying to put on weight. Needless to say this makes dinner time particularly challenging. I am not interested in making two seperate dishes every night. Does anyone have any ideas or recipes that might give us the same base meal ( allowing me to loose) with extras added (allowing him to gain). For now he just eats more of what I'm having but he's not really seeing the results. Afterall Salmon is Salmon wether 4 oz. or 10oz. it still doesn't allow for weight gain.

Actually, salmon is great for proper weight gain. It has more protein in it per ounce than chicken does, and the fats are essential for delivering those proteins to the muscles. If that's what you all are eating, then you are on the right path. Gaining muscle weight (new, not regained muscle) is tough, and is likely part of the reason he is not seeing the gains where you are seeing the loss.
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I second tiff1632 in regards to protein. You may want to also check out some protein powders that are out there and he can have double-scoop smoothies while you have single-scoop smoothies.

Of course, I'm new to protein powders myself, so I'm sure that someone much more knowledgeable about the loss & gain thing will be able to pop on here and give you more guidance.

I also second the "Clean Eating" recommendation. I'm getting more and more into it and it's awesome. :bigsmile:

Cheers, :drinker:
    Deborah
  • ninaellis
    ninaellis Posts: 60
    Options
    another way is if he snacks through the day.
    If possible he could have say a cold pasta salad mid morning or mid afternoon. Ok, a little prep is required but you could make enough to last a couple of days & keep it in the fridge.
    And how about breakfast?? Toast cereal/porridge & a banana or 2 would all help weight gain & are all still healthy

3 main meals a day, starting with a hearty healthy breakfast plus 3 decent snacks a day and he should see the benefit. That way you can still eat the same evening meals.
    On days you're home together you can snack on fruit etc when he's eating if you wish.

I do know how hard it is!! I have to watch every mouthful, where my partner can eat whatever he wants & just can't seem to gain the weight!!! (If only!!!!!!:wink: )
  • katealim
    katealim Posts: 45
    Options
    I do know how hard it is!! I have to watch every mouthful, where my partner can eat whatever he wants & just can't seem to gain the weight!!! (If only!!!!!!:wink: )
    [/quote]

Yes this is exactly how I feel!
    Thanx for all the advise guys..you're all great!