For those stuck at home

Options
KLaurean
KLaurean Posts: 112
I'm just wondering, is the economy affecting anyone else on here to the point where you are out of work/school?

I live in Southern California and I've been out of a job for a year now...and on top of that I can't even get into any classes at the community college thanks to overcrowding.

So my question to those stuck at home, what do you do all day to keep yourself entertained? I go to Zumba almost every night, but I'm really looking for something else to keep myself occupied.

Replies

• iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of jobs out there, u just gotta swallow your pride and take something you dont want to do.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of jobs out there, u just gotta swallow your pride and take something you dont want to do.

head-in-the-sand.gif
  • iam_thatdude
    Options
    it is 100% true....loook at the want ads...mayeb it isnt the job you want or doesnt pay what you want....but ya know what? grow the F up and take the job...its called being an adult.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    yeah, sorry... Im going to have to agree. Theres always something you can do. If youre financially stable and dont need to work - volunteer your time.
  • iam_thatdude
    Options
    yeah, sorry... Im going to have to agree. Theres always something you can do. If youre financially stable and dont need to work - volunteer your time.

Thank you
  • KLaurean
    Options
    I don't need to be attacked. I wasn't on here to ask for advice on finding a job.
    Maybe you're the one who has growing up to do......
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I've been a stay at home mom for 3 years now. I've put out a few apps, but nothing has come of it. My oldest is in school, so it's just me and my youngest. I'm planning to start school and hopefully find a job once I move back to Cali.
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I am, hours got cut, but also looking for work
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I don't need to be attacked. I wasn't on here to ask for advice on finding a job.

I hope you dont feel I was attacking you. I believe in the power of networking and volunteering is a great way of doing just that. Plus it keeps your mind sharp, your skills up and you can do something beneficial for someone else.
  • AssembledIncorrectly
    AssembledIncorrectly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I didnt see her type anywhere that she was offered a job and didn't take it because it wasn't good enough? You guys are mean she was simply asking for some ideas of things to do throughout the day to keep her occupied..Bashing her isn't cool...and like she said maybe your the one who needs to grow up.
  • iam_thatdude
    Options

Maybe, I dont deny a streak of immaturity, but sorry if I decry a pity party of "oh stuck at home, schools are filled and havent worked in a year".......u cant get into an online school? u cant find a job? its all BS and its self pity. MFP of all places shouldnt let ppl wallow in self pity. Self pity is what causes our problems.
  • KLaurean
    Options
    I hope you dont feel I was attacking you. I believe in the power of networking and volunteering is a great way of doing just that. Plus it keeps your mind sharp, your skills up and you can do something beneficial for someone else.

I probably should have specified who I was referring to. I don't think anything you said was attacking at all. Like I said I'm looking for ideas to keep me busy :)
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    I have an awesome resume.. and you know what.. i can't get a full time job.. i sub at the schools but as for looking for a second job, it has been hell. I am told by walmart and target that i am overqualified...Sears wont hire me for 6 months because i didn't get to the drug testing place within a certain time frame (btw, according to my math.. i did). other places just never even send a note why I don't get hired.. maybe where you live there are lots of jobs.. but where i am.. not so much.. and at this point, i am williing to take just about anything to get some extra cash in the house.. too many people in my area looking for jobs.. too little jobs.

so please don't get on her for not having a job, you do not know the situation.

as for her original question.. when i am not subbing, i exercise, work on the garden, work on art to sell, run errons, doctor appointments, on and on.. never a moment of down time.
  • iam_thatdude
    Options
    I have an awesome resume.. and you know what.. i can't get a full time job.. i sub at the schools but as for looking for a second job, it has been hell. I am told by walmart and target that i am overqualified...Sears wont hire me for 6 months because i didn't get to the drug testing place within a certain time frame (btw, according to my math.. i did). other places just never even send a note why I don't get hired.. maybe where you live there are lots of jobs.. but where i am.. not so much.. and at this point, i am williing to take just about anything to get some extra cash in the house.. too many people in my area looking for jobs.. too little jobs.

as for her original question.. when i am not subbing, i exercise, work on the garden, work on art to sell, run errons, doctor appointments, on and on.. never a moment of down time.

Again I call BS....look in the sunday paper of any city and you're telling me you couldnt get hired for not one of those jobs? I think not.
  • KLaurean
    Options
    Maybe, I dont deny a streak of immaturity, but sorry if I decry a pity party of "oh stuck at home, schools are filled and havent worked in a year".......u cant get into an online school? u cant find a job? its all BS and its self pity. MFP of all places shouldnt let ppl wallow in self pity. Self pity is what causes our problems.

Are you serious??????? I am NOT trying to have people pity me. All I wanted to do was to explain what is going on so idiots like you wouldn't come on and say "why don't you get a job?" but I guess that didn't work out so well.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    In the past, I have taken a job which wasn't what I really wanted. And, it's always easier to find a job if you are working than if you are unemployed; even just a part time job. Prospective employers admire someone who will "do what it takes" (within reason) instead of laying back and waiting for something better to fall in your lap. I know this because I ended up being a person on the side of the table hiring those people.

On the other hand, the person suggesting doing some volunteer work has an excellent idea. Another idea would be to join some kind of sports type league or learning how to sew, knit, or crochet (lost arts).

Oops... hey, if you aren't looking for employment, disregard the first paragraph. No offense intended.
  • iam_thatdude
    Options

Are you serious??????? I am NOT trying to have people pity me. All I wanted to do was to explain what is going on so idiots like you wouldn't come on and say "why don't you get a job?" but I guess that didn't work out so well.

um your post is titeld "stuck" at home and you "cant" get into college....both of which is BS if u strip it down to its core. It's self pity and you will be better off once you accept that. Maybe what I says BURNS, but its' not out of meanness.
  • KLaurean
    Options
    um your post is titeld "stuck" at home and you "cant" get into college....both of which is BS if u strip it down to its core. It's self pity and you will be better off once you accept that. Maybe what I says BURNS, but its' not out of meanness.

lol.
    I don't need to explain myself and what my situation at home is to you.
    Go find other people to bully online. I'm finished hearing your "advice".
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options

Again I call BS....look in the sunday paper of any city and you're telling me you couldnt get hired for not one of those jobs? I think not.
    there are maybe 10 jobs listed in the want ads of today's paper.. most i am not qualified for (nurse, teaching cert) and the other two are ones that are mostly "men" jobs and the chances of me getting hired are about 0.. believe me.. i put out at least 3 resumes a week.. and am working on a buisness plan with the small buisness bureal to try to start something on my own.. not bs.. not sitting on my *kitten*..
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options

I just got my current job because I volunteered with the organization for several months before I applied for a position. There wasn't even an interview because they already saw how well I worked with them. Definitely recommend this route to anyone!