Cruise Cuisine?

Options
plm209
plm209 Posts: 222 Member
I'm going on a 5 day cruise to Bermuda this Saturday :drinker: and I was just wondering if I should abandon all hope of sticking to a super strict eating plan and just try to eat in moderation? Its my first cruise so I have no clue what to expect. Anyone out there that can give me a little guidance?

Replies

• Luludog1
    Luludog1 Posts: 119
    Options
    The last cruise i went on offered a nice variety of health foods. I see no reason you cannot stick with your diet.

Besides...i was busy going swimming/snorkeling, etc to over indulge.

My only problem was the alcohol...lots of rum on the rum boat.

Have fun...I love cruises.
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you go to the diner seatings, you can make a pretty good selection. I never had a problem ordering meals on the healthier side. Many of the items at the seatings will be offered at the buffet as well, so your only caution at the buffet is controling your own temptations to overeat.

My husband and I (he actually proposed on our last cruise) spent breakfast and lunch at the buffet, and i never had a problem of overeating. I would drink a cup of hot tea before and after my meal, only placed food on 1 plate and never went for seconds.

I didn't gain any weight on our 7 day cruise. I also went to the gym every morning for some cardio and my husband and I walked the deck every day!

And we ONLY took the stairs.. no matter what!

Have fun!
    Ileana
  • nguill6
    nguill6 Posts: 133
    Options
    I don't know what cruise line you're going with but the last cruise I went on had plenty of healthy options and at the formal dinners the servings were tiny (ie the proper amount). There are usually plenty of calorie-burning activities too. Take a dance class, play some pool volley ball, go snorkeling, have a drink but dance it off. You can totally do this! Good luck and don't forget the sunscreen:wink:
  • jonirogers
    Options
    Food is everywhere! The buffets are the worst. I would avoid them at all costs and order something healthy from the dining room. My best suggestion is make sure you continue to exercise while you are on the ship. There is a lot of walking involved, but you might also want to use the ship's gym to burn off some of those extra calories. I don't mean to scare you b/c I love cruises, but it's easy to go overboard on the food and alcohol. Have fun and good luck!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Like others have said you can find healthy choices on a cruise. Moderation for alcohol and foods you might not be eating much of now will be the best way.

I always check the dinner menu in the morning and plan my day around it. If creme brulee is for desert I make sure I plan for it! I love creme brulee!

The buffets for lunch are not bad. Fill up on lots of greens and fresh vegetables and get some chicken or beef for protein.

Take the stairs as much as possible and be active. Walking, swimming, snorkeling....

I don't deny myself to much because for me it's usually a once a year vacation. I just get back to my regular eating/exercise as soon as I get home.

I usually do see a change in the scale but it's water weight from the change in how food is prepared. It's gone within a few days to a week. Drink alot of water to help with that.

And most of all enjoy your cruise! It's always a good day to be cruising!:happy:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    You can choose healthier meals & try the buffet.
    That's what we did on our last cruise & it worked fine. We had the omelet bar guy make healthy eggs for breakfast each day & then we hit the buffet for meats & veggies.
    It was great.
    They will make any changes you want when you order in the dining room. Just remember how much you're paying for the cruise itself & that they are there to serve YOU, don't be intimidated. Ask for whatever you want.
    Have fun!:drinker:
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Great advice everyone! I especially like Georg's comment that they are there to serve me and if I want something served a certain way I can have it! I'm so excited!