Why do people call certain guys "handsome"?

Options

Replies

• juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I use handsome to compliment male family members when they look nice... because, I think it would sound really wrong if I told them they looked hot or sexy instead. :P

Conversely, it seems weird calling some women "hot" but pretty or similar words seem inapplicable.

Hot profile pic btw.

Oh and only RunningJen ever calls me handsome. But that's because she's so sweet.

Pretty sure she's not the only one to have called you that....
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Handsome is the word I always get called. It makes me feel like maybe I don't chalk up to "hot" "sexy" etc.
    It is most-likely because your facial structure makes you traditionally handsome. Someone can be hot or sexy without being 'handsome'. Billy Bob Thornton is my fav example of this. I don't think he is 'handsome' but he is sexy to me.
    I suppose you can be handsome and not be sexy too. I have a friend that has the face and body of an Armani model and the personality of Will Ferrel. Its hard to take him seriously.
    Handsome you can not control. Sexy you can. Go with handsome my friend.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different view on what a handsome is. What is good looking for you may not be that attractive to me. In my case I say it to someone who was used to be "ugly" until I saw him more polished to mean he looked great in that suit with his more polished look.

Likewise it is like how you feel when you see a female in a sexy dress with a nice hairstyle even though she may just look plain when in a t-shirt.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I don't care if he is your grandson, but handsome should be reserved for handsome people like me!

LMAO :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Handsome is always accepted happily. :bigsmile:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Handsome is always accepted happily. :bigsmile:
    Good answer, handsome!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I use handsome to compliment male family members when they look nice... because, I think it would sound really wrong if I told them they looked hot or sexy instead. :P

Ok, that is an acceptable answer. Wouldn't want to tell little brother timmy he looks delicious enough to eat. But I am talking about the reverse, inflating the egos of butter faces.

Well, you don't have to necessarily be aesthetically pleasing to look presentable or proper. There are plenty of people who are less than "beautiful" or "perfect" physically who can still look good wearing a suit and tie with a neat trim haircut. :) So yes, handsome would be a nice word to use for that since it's more descriptive of overall appearance I think and doesn't just apply to sexual attraction.
  • BCKS
    BCKS Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    that-made-me-feel-sad-thumb.jpg

Aaawwwwww!! :cry: :flowerforyou:
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    375550_2939281756770_1102922983_33145537_1727737204_n.jpg
  • silcock69
    silcock69 Posts: 50
    Options

YES!! finally got one :flowerforyou:
  • BCKS
    BCKS Posts: 287 Member
    Options

YES!! finally got one :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Here's one more for ya. And you're handsome, too.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I like the word handsome for very few men on this planet. One is my dog, Gunnar, because he is dapper as fukk. Two is my boyfriend, because he's one of the best looking men I've ever seen. He's thin and muscular with amazing features. Handsome is one of the best words I can use to describe him, but, really, it doesn't do him justice.

But, yeah, when uggos get dolled up, I just say, "Hey! You look different!" and smile real big. Because, hey, if you interpret my words as a compliment instead of an observation, it's WIN-WIN!

:laugh:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    A well put together person looks good. Period.

Yup! This applies to women too.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Handsome is the word I always get called. It makes me feel like maybe I don't chalk up to "hot" "sexy" etc.

Don't be so hard on yourself man. If I were gay, I'd bone ya.

^^^ What he said!!!

:blushing:
  • elbandito
    elbandito Posts: 157
    Options
    Handsome is a great word.

Much better than 'cute'... which is what I used to always get. :(
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    memes-philosoraptor-i-am-handsome-every-night.jpg
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options

This is a good thing! Calling a man handsome (in my books) means he's a class act! A class act always trumps 'hot' or 'sexy'. Besides, if a person is hot or sexy, they just are...it's just there. People can't fake those two traits without coming off as desperate or downright silly.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    me too!!
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    awwwwwwww.....:flowerforyou:
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    When I call guys "handsome" it is intended as a really big compliment. In my mind, "handsome" is the male equivalent of "beautiful". For me, "handsome" and "beautiful" is so much more than saying someone looks good physically, I take it as everything about the person is attractive: personality, the way they carry themselves, etc.