working overtime

Options
Any career oriented folks out there that want to give me some encouragement?

My boss just left on maternity leave, so I am left with a bunch of extra work while she's gone. She told me I'll probably see a lot of overtime until she comes back. I am wondering how I will manage to workout when I get home after a ten hour day or how I will find time to plan healthy meals rather than eating out all the time.

I'm sure that staying healthy CAN be done while working a lot, but it won't be easy. Any advice or encouragement is welcome!

Replies

• Amburglar
    Amburglar Posts: 32
    Options
    You are not alone. I, too have a pretty demanding career, and I love it! I rarely see less than a 12 hour day, and at least 3 days a week, it's even more than that. I consider my workout time part of my work day...as in, it's just something I have to do daily...even after 12, 13, 14+ hour days. Only after that, am I done. I learned a long time ago that, to be successful, I cannot be done when I am tired...I can ONLY be done, when I am finished. Good luck!
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    It's not easy, but you can do it. Here's what works for me: I structure my days so that I know when I am working out, and I make myself do it no matter how tired or stressed I am. I plan and log my meals the day before, or sometimes I'll plan them for the entire week and log them. And if the day turns upside down and all my goals are thrown to the wind, I don't let it derail me. I do what I can do and try again the next day.

I used to struggle so much with work conflicting with my desire to get healthy, but once I decided that I NEEDED to reconcile the two, it went better. Whenever something doesn't go well, I figure out how to tweak my routine so it doesn't happen again, and keep going.

Good luck!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I guess the only way to get my workouts in is to just get them in, even if I'm tired. This will be a real challenge!