Struggling with calories.

Options
I planned my entire menu today and had the hardest time trying to get in all of my calories without going way over on protein and fat, while being quite a bit under on carbs. I seem to go over on protein and under on carbs every day.

What are some healthy foods that are high in calories? Carbs too? I'm only looking at trying to eat about 1350 calories a day so it doesn't seem like it should be hard, but I'm really stuggling. Granted, it's only been a week, but I'm still frustrated.

Replies

• jillybillygoat
    jillybillygoat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't even want to think about how I'll get extra calories in when I start exercising. Yeesh!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat the protein.

Eat nuts, avocados and drink milk if you need to take in more.
  • sandas23
    sandas23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was just reading an article in a fitness magazine that said whole grain cereal should be a part of your every day diet. Just make sure that you are eating whole grain and, perferably, one without sugar listed as one of the top 3 ingredients.
  • joannap1119
    Options
    I use the list all the time and it helps me a lot. There is the link :http://whfoods.org/foodstoc.php
  • jillybillygoat
    Options
    Don't sweat the protein.

Eat nuts, avocados and drink milk if you need to take in more.

So it's not a bad thing to be consistently over on protein and under on carbs? If that's the case then I think I won't have such a hard time with it. I'm just trying to get my meals, or at least my day, as balanced as possible.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    All natural premium ice cream (like with about 3 or 4 ingredients) is where I would love to spend some extra calories. :happy: But that's just me... Nuts are good too.
  • jillybillygoat
    Options
    Thank you for that list, Joanna. I bookmarked it and I am sure it'll come in handy.

Sandas, I do generally eat whole grain cereal every day, although I ran out of it this week and haven't had the chance to buy more yet. Maybe that's part of the reason why i'm struggling with my numbers the last couple of days. Thanks. :-)
  • jillybillygoat
    Options
    All natural premium ice cream (like with about 3 or 4 ingredients) is where I would love to spend some extra calories. :happy: But that's just me... Nuts are good too.

Mmmm, good idea, PAH. I might have to hunt for some good quality ice cream. Nuts are generally my go to, but if I eat anymore nuts than I already am than I may turn into one...lol.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    things like steel cut oats, whole grain breads, veggies, potatoes, sweet potatoes, long grain wild rice, whole wheat pasta

all contain a lot of good carbohydrates, and lots of good calories. Most contain some protein too, but generally are a majority of cabohydrates.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein at 15% of your daily calories which is pretty low. Try changing it to 20-25% and adjusting carbs down. You may find it's a better for you eating habits and still quite healthy especially if you are trying to gain strength.

P.S. I'm the same way. Started eating more fruit and cream of wheat or oatmeal for breakfast.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I am always over on protein too - you're ok!
  • jillybillygoat
    Options
    Thanks y'all! (Yes, I am Southern. :bigsmile: ) I won't worry so much about my various levels then if it's not a bad thing to be always over in protein and under in carbs. Or maybe I will manually adjust my percentages.

I do eat all of those things you mentioned, Banks, but perhaps I should just up my intake of them a bit more. I swear I feel like I'm having to eat every hour just to get all my food in. Not really, but it kinda feels like it. Truly, I'm exaggerating. I've always been a chronic undereater.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thanks y'all! (Yes, I am Southern. :bigsmile: ) I won't worry so much about my various levels then if it's not a bad thing to be always over in protein and under in carbs. Or maybe I will manually adjust my percentages.

I do eat all of those things you mentioned, Banks, but perhaps I should just up my intake of them a bit more. I swear I feel like I'm having to eat every hour just to get all my food in. Not really, but it kinda feels like it. Truly, I'm exaggerating. I've always been a chronic undereater.

lol try it with my calories, I need 3300 just to stay my weight. It's friggin hard! It was much easier when I only had to eat 2400 or so. And EXPENSIVE as hell too. Good food is expensive!
  • jillybillygoat
    Options
    lol try it with my calories, I need 3300 just to stay my weight.

Oy vey. The thought makes me nauseous.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    It's most important to NOT go over on calories. Then it's important not to go over on fat... MFP sets protein pretty low, so I wouldn't worry about going over. But the bottom line is, don't go over on calories and work on getting the fat down over time (low fat or non fat stuff, etc).
  • sassycat
    sassycat Posts: 108
    Options
    It's most important to NOT go over on calories. Then it's important not to go over on fat... MFP sets protein pretty low, so I wouldn't worry about going over. But the bottom line is, don't go over on calories and work on getting the fat down over time (low fat or non fat stuff, etc).

What about the sugar intake? It seems like everything has tons of sugar in it. Even the Special K bars or the fiber bars. I will do ok with calories, but I am always going over on the sugar & fat intake--mainly the sugar. Any suggestions?
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

What about the sugar intake? It seems like everything has tons of sugar in it. Even the Special K bars or the fiber bars. I will do ok with calories, but I am always going over on the sugar & fat intake--mainly the sugar. Any suggestions?

less pre-made food types. More natural stuff like vegetables, lean meats, and whole grains. Things that are pre-made and packaged up tend to have more sugar, and preservatives to make up for the lack of freshness.
  • sassycat
    sassycat Posts: 108
    Options

less pre-made food types. More natural stuff like vegetables, lean meats, and whole grains. Things that are pre-made and packaged up tend to have more sugar, and preservatives to make up for the lack of freshness.

Thank you. I will purchase more vege's, and try to stay away from the pre-made foods. This helps. I will be glad when my real vege's get ready in my garden! :smile: