#2: the 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth

Options
00Angela00
00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
This is day two of our education of the 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth. Woo Hoo! Some of these you won't be surprised by, some you will. I'll take one out of each food group each day to mix it up a bit.

All information is from the book by jonny Bowden, Ph.D., C.N.S. "The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth".

Day 2: OATMEAL

Oatmeal has a place on virtually everyone's "best foods" list. It's the muhammad Ali of foods - everybody loves it, no matter where you stand in your dietary philosophy. Even whose who are stringent about keeping carbs low soften a bit when it comes to oatmeal. The "guru" of diabetic diets, Dr. Richard Bernstein, who, one might say jokingly, "never met a carb he didn't dislike," allows oatmeal once a day for his diabetic patients. And of course, it's been a staple of the builders at Gold's Gym with their Tupperwares full of the stuff, usually mixed with scrambled eggs.

* Great source of fiber (55% soluble, 45% insoluble)
* has a fiber called beta-glucan, which helps lower cholesterol levels and significantly reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke.
* Beta-Glucans enhance the body's immune system by turbocharging its response to bacterial infection.
* has a very low gycemic load, meaning it has a very, very modest effect on blood sugar
* Oatmeal has the highest protein contect of any popular cereal. It also contains phosphorus, potassium, selenium, manganese, and iron.

WORTH KNOWING:
the type of oatmeal you buy makes all the difference in the world. Forget about the instant packs; they are not even in teh ball game. They're usually sweetened, making their potential benefits for diabetics disappeaar. the less processing, the higher the fiber, the lower the glycemic load (sugar impact), and the better the oatmeal is for you.

Replies

• KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    I may have to start eating oatmeal again I was always worried about the carbs in it.
    Thanks for the tip!
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I:heart: Oatmeal! TSF:bigsmile:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I am loving your healthiest foods posts! :flowerforyou:
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal I have it almost every morning!!!
  • applepie
    applepie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal lover right here! Thanks for your tips. This is good to know. I look for your healthy foods daily! :D
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    yey for oatmeal, i have it every morning - usualy the oats so simple (weight control in the US) instant stuff though, so may have to buy the standard oats :p
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Oatmeal!
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I noticed some of the steel cut oatmeal in the store. Has anyone ever tried it? It's not like eating straw, is it?
  • Hanni
    Hanni Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I noticed some of the steel cut oatmeal in the store. Has anyone ever tried it? It's not like eating straw, is it?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: how funny!?!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Steel cut is awesome, but it takes time to cook. I have not found a fast way to cook it. Basically you need to boil it for about 30 minutes. On the upside you can make it in bulk because it keeps very well. I love that stuff.
  • schlieffen
    schlieffen Posts: 269
    Options
    Thanks for the info! For a little extra health boost I normally add some blueberries and some cinnamon to my oatmeal! Yum! :smile:
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! For a little extra health boost I normally add some blueberries and some cinnamon to my oatmeal! Yum! :smile:

I was wondering about blueberries because they have it next to the raisens and brown sugar at my jobs cafeteria ... maybe I'll try that next time. :-D
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Steel cut is awesome, but it takes time to cook. I have not found a fast way to cook it. Basically you need to boil it for about 30 minutes. On the upside you can make it in bulk because it keeps very well. I love that stuff.

I make my steel cut oats in the rice cooker--I have a Black & Decker steamer/rice cooker with a plastic rice bowl. Anyway, I make up 4 servings at a time (I use the settings for long grain white rice and the ratios -- oats/water -- for long grain white rice), I eat one serving and then put the others in containers for future mornings. When I go to reheat, I microwave for 1 minute, break everthing up & add 1/4 cup of milk and dried fruit or a banana and cinnamon, and microwave for another 30-45 seconds. Stir and viola! "Instant" steel cut oatmeal! SO YUMMY!!! :bigsmile:
  • angelajiniel
    angelajiniel Posts: 115
    Options
    I have to disagree with your post. I do not like oatmeal, and neither does my husband. I sooo wish I did because it is so good for you (as well as inexpensive). I've tried and tried and the only way I can eat it is baked in a cookie :(
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with your post. I do not like oatmeal, and neither does my husband. I sooo wish I did because it is so good for you (as well as inexpensive). I've tried and tried and the only way I can eat it is baked in a cookie :(

are you disagreeing that it's healthy? I don't understand your post.
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options

I make my steel cut oats in the rice cooker--I have a Black & Decker steamer/rice cooker with a plastic rice bowl. Anyway, I make up 4 servings at a time (I use the settings for long grain white rice and the ratios -- oats/water -- for long grain white rice), I eat one serving and then put the others in containers for future mornings. When I go to reheat, I microwave for 1 minute, break everthing up & add 1/4 cup of milk and dried fruit or a banana and cinnamon, and microwave for another 30-45 seconds. Stir and viola! "Instant" steel cut oatmeal! SO YUMMY!!! :bigsmile:

This sounds good, but unfortunately I don't have a rice cooker:sad: Anybody else have a recipe for steel cut oats that doesn't require a rice cooker?

Thanks!

Mary
  • cardigirl
    Options

This sounds good, but unfortunately I don't have a rice cooker:sad: Anybody else have a recipe for steel cut oats that doesn't require a rice cooker?

Thanks!

Mary

I cook a batch (4 servings) at one time, on the stove top. It takes about 30 minutes. I eat one serving and then refrigerate the rest, and I have oatmeal for the next 3 days.

My "recipe" is this: 4 cups of water to one cup of oats. Bring water to boil, stir in oats for a couple of minutes til it looks creamy, then lower heat to really low, put lid on pot, and let it cook away. You might want to check it from time to time, and stir, but really, it's pretty low maintenance.

After 30 minutes, voila! Breakfast! I add heated milk and brown sugar (organic) to mine, and sometimes almonds.

Very very yum.
  • angelajiniel
    Options

No, I believe it is! Just disagreeing that everyone loves it. I wish I did because it is so good for you.
  • cardigirl
    Options

No, I believe it is! Just disagreeing that everyone loves it. I wish I did because it is so good for you.

Ah, I see. Have you tried the steel cut oats? They are a bit different from the rolled oats we grew up with.

I didn't like it much either when I started, but now I love it. Maybe you can give it a try again in a few years.
  • angelajiniel
    Options
    I'm going to try them again this next week. They are on my grocery list. I know my Hubby won't, but I will. It's either that or switch to omlettes for breakfast. Kashi is just too expensive!