Best thing to cook with ground turkey?

Options
dimplzz
dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
I have never tried it and just bought some. I know that I can use in anything that uses hamburger but I am looking for your favorite recipe. I heard that it can be very dry.... Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I make chili with it, it's awesome, and never dry!!!
  • JenniferMann24
    Options
    It is VERY dry. Add some onion and a little canola oil (LITTLE). You can use it for spaghetti, taco meat, chili. Anything you would use ground beef for.
  • musicmom04
    musicmom04 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    this meatloaf always comes out moist, even with 99% fat free turkey. (and my kids love it)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/37857-weight-watchers-parmesan-turkey-meatloaf
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Chili and tacos are my favorites. :flowerforyou:
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Use it just like ground beef! It's just as good if not better....I'm a vegetarian but I have a weakness for turkey burgers.:flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    anything you use any meat for you can sub turkey for. I use it mostly for meatballs, chili and hamburgers. Turkey burgers are great when cooked in the oven and reheat well.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    i am not a fan of burgers or meatloaf with it but anything like tacos, chili, something in a sauce is great! Make sure when you buy ground turkey that you've checked the label some of it is 17g of fat per serving cuz they mixin fat and skin...
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    SPAGHETTI!!!!!!!!! Put some veggies in the sauce too (I usually put zucchini/squash/carrots/big chunks of tomatos) that way you'll eat more veggies so you can put less pasta on your plate!
  • Doitforbaby120808
    Options
    Its not dry unless you dont know how to cook with it. Stay away from adding fats and oil. use milk fat free of course FF buttermilk. Chicken broth and dont over brown it before you add it to your dish

good luck
  • Doitforbaby120808
    Options
    Also a great chili mac! Add canned chili beans without the meat. tomatos onions and lot of veggies to some pasta and some chili powder. topped with low fat part skim mozzerella! yum my hubby loves it and hes not a healthy eater!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Taco soup:

3 pounds turkey - browned
    big can o' V8 juice
    big can pork&beans
    reg can pinto beans
    reg can black beans
    reg can chili beans
    ((WTH - toss in any can o' beans you can find :laugh: ))
    2 cans diced tomatoes
    can o' chilis
    2 packets Taco seasoning mix
    2 packets Ranch dressing mix.

Little high in sodium, but lite & lean & delish. Try it. :drinker:
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Turkey_occos!!!!!!= turkey tacos!!!!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: I:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: them!
  • erinmerriman
    Options
    This is a weight watchers dinner that i love with ground turkey:
    1 pound ground turkey
    1 can mushrooms
    1 jar of pacante sauce
    1 cup of shredded cheese (colby and chedder) fat free or your choice
    Rice

cook your tukey and drain grease
    mix in your pacante sauce and mushrooms
    let it heat
    put a couple of cups of cheese on top and let it melt (putting the lid on for a few minutes helps)
    serve over rice

Enjoy!
  • angelajiniel
    angelajiniel Posts: 115
    Options
    I once ruined spaghetti night (according to my hubby) by using ground turkey and wheat noodles. I have learned to mix it with beef for him OR use it in dishes with a lot of flavor. I mixed it with a few spices and used it as turkey sausage with lasagna and he loved it. I thought the spaghetti was good myself, but some people don't like the taste I guess.
  • Robby
    Robby Posts: 41
    Options
    mix the ground turkey with some fat free motzarella and packeaged bacon bits and a package of ranch. Throw in some minced onions and any other spices. Make into burgers and grill. Use Aunt Millies old fashioned whole wheat buns! A side of grilled zucchini, carrots, and either pineapple or mango (grilled) is to die for! And NOT dry.
    Good Luck!:glasses:
  • lds25
    lds25 Posts: 68
    Options
    When I use ground turkey or chicken I fry it in a tiny bit of olive oil and then mix in a jar of low sodium salsa. I put some low sodium taco seasoning in. I mix up a large salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, celery and onions. I cover the salad with low fat or fat free shredded cheddar cheese and then cover it with the warm turkey/salsa. Put a few whole wheat taco chips on top and voila TURKEY TACO SALAD!!!
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I substitue ground turkey for ground beef in everything. Burgers, meatloaf, stuffed peppers, spaghetti. I love it and you can't really taste the difference. Maybe it's a bit dry, but not so much where it is very noticeable. :tongue:
  • chicaloca6470
    chicaloca6470 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i also just bought my first pack of ground turkey and am making it tonight. i have an idea what i want to do but im looking at recipes just to see what else there is.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I used to just make small patties of ground turkey and pan fry them so they stay moist. Afterwards, top with some salsa.