looking for some good recipes for spaghetti sauce....

Options
dimplzz
dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
I have always used jarred stuff and would LOVE to make my own. Please share what you do.

Replies

• Gayle583
    Gayle583 Posts: 3
    Options
    I only make my own, I like to do it myself because I can do whatever I want with it, just start with the basics, and have fun, but I never use a recipe, so good luck with this:

Start out with a little olive oil in a sauce pan and add a few cloves of freshly crushed garlic ( I like a lot, but you may be ok with one)

I let that cook for a bit, then add a can or two of tomato paste - depending on how much I want to make

Because I like chunky thick sauce - I add a whole can of diced tomatoes (do not drain out the water), and whatever other vegetables I have sitting around that I can chop up and add in, best are
    mushrooms, olives, zucchini, peas, or more tomatoes, but you can add whatever you want.
    and if you don't add a can of tomatoes, you will need to add water to thin out the paste.

Then I add oregano, parsley, basil, salt & pepper to taste, and let it all simmer for a few minutes.
    Then if it's too thick for you, you can add more water until it's right.

If you want meat in your sauce you can add some cooked ground beef or meat balls - but I think it's better without.
  • FINALLY4ME
    FINALLY4ME Posts: 643
    Options
    I make mine every Sunday....would you like w/ or w/out meat? LOL.....jarred sauce....no no no.....:noway: just say no! :laugh: :wink:

here is a marinara recipe I use its easy and quick and I'm not sure the calories though.....

2 cans crushed tomatoes
    1 can tomato paste
    3 cloves of garlic chopped fine
    1 small onion chopped fine
    1/2 cup romano cheese
    1 crushed tomato can of water
    splash of balsamic vinegar or red wine
    olive oil enough to coat the pan
    italian seasonings
    bay leaves

if you like veggies a lot you can use variations by adding peppers (sort of makes it like cacciatore) mushrooms, etc...

heat olive oil in sauce pan, saute onions and garlic until translucent, add veggies if you like....until softened.....then add paste and vinegar/wine, saute until thick and add a little water if too thick or starts to stick.....then add crushed tomatoes and one can of water.....stir and add in spices and 1/2 cheese and two bay leaves......stir to mix and then bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 45 mins top over favorite macaroni and add remaining cheese if you like : )

hope you like..... :drinker:
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I love making my own! It's so fun :) I like a light, chunky and veggie sauce. I have two kinds that I make.

First- Chunky Basil

1-2 cans diced no sodium tomatoes
    1 tbsp olive oil (NOT extra virgin because the pan's too hot)
    2 tbsp garlic, chopped (I use the jarred stuff because I'm a lazy bug)
    1 bag Kroger frozen, chopped, 3 Pepper and Onion Blend
    1 tbsp Balsalmic Vinegar
    1 small can Small Sliced Olives
    Tons of basil
    pinch of salt.

Throw in the oil and pepper/onion blend. Sautee them for about ten minutes- you want a little crunch on them for contrast in the sauce. Toss in the garlic until it turns lightly brown (like a biscuit). Then toss in all the other things. Cook for about half an hour, uncovered, or until it reduces enough for you. Salt at the table.

Second
    Summer Squash Spaghetti Sauce

Take out the balsalmic and olives- replace them with frozen yellow squash and zuccini. Add a moderate amount of basil but add other spices- oregano or any Italian blend spice mix. Add a pat (little pat) of butter and a little amount of milk. It's a light and creamy sauce. This one you have to keep an eye on because of the squash. Takes a little longer to cook down- but it's worth it. It's great cold or hot.
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I make mine every Sunday....would you like w/ or w/out meat? LOL.....jarred sauce....no no no.....:noway: just say no! :laugh: :wink:

here is a marinara recipe I use its easy and quick and I'm not sure the calories though.....

2 cans crushed tomatoes
    1 can tomato paste
    3 cloves of garlic chopped fine
    1 small onion chopped fine
    1/2 cup romano cheese
    1 crushed tomato can of water
    splash of balsamic vinegar or red wine
    olive oil enough to coat the pan
    italian seasonings
    bay leaves

if you like veggies a lot you can use variations by adding peppers (sort of makes it like cacciatore) mushrooms, etc...

heat olive oil in sauce pan, saute onions and garlic until translucent, add veggies if you like....until softened.....then add paste and vinegar/wine, saute until thick and add a little water if too thick or starts to stick.....then add crushed tomatoes and one can of water.....stir and add in spices and 1/2 cheese and two bay leaves......stir to mix and then bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 45 mins top over favorite macaroni and add remaining cheese if you like : )

hope you like..... :drinker:

With the 2 cans of crushed tomatoes do you drain the liquid or use the liquid?

Thanks everyone! All these recipes sound soooo good! I can't wait to make one of them soon!