Fat Free Dressings!?!? HELP!!!!!!!

Options
What are some of the fat free salad dressings that you've found to be edible? Because alot of the ones I've tried are absolutely gross. I love salad but I'm trying to cut the calories in the dressing that I use...your input would be helpful thanks.

195234.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter

Replies

• YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use apple cider vinegar instead of dressing...its delicious!:flowerforyou:
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I use Red Wine Vinegar. LOVE IT! :love:
  • dskline1
    dskline1 Posts: 123
    Options
    Hello,

I really wished I remembered all the info to back up this statement...I remember seeing it here on the posts somewhere....fat free salad dressing interferes with breakdown and absorbtion of the salad ingredients - pls look at past posts to gain further info on this. I was always told too, that the fat from the salad dressing helps with feeling satisfied with your salad per say....I do believe that this is where portion control is vital. IMHO I would rather have just a bit of great tasting dressing than a gallon of awful tasting dressing. Again, my info is a bit gray, but, I wanted to offer an opinion. Hopefully, others will chime in on this as well.

Good Luck!
  • zippy111
    zippy111 Posts: 2,241 Member
    Options
    I love the Newman's own light balsamic.
    :smile:

222778.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • skittlesoup
    skittlesoup Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I mix fat free ranch dressing with salsa. I use more salsa than dressing and it's really good. I even have my husband eating it. If you like a little kick to it, use hotter salsa. I will use 1/2 tbsp of dressing and 1 tbsp of salsa.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I don't want to hijack, but........

I make my own with Olive Oil, Balsamic Dressing, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and maybe a clove of garlic.

I use it very sparingly and account for the calories.

For me I want to ENJOY what I'm eating and FF salad dressing, for the most part, is krap.
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The Newman's Own Lighten Up! line of dressings is pretty awesome. They have a lime vinegarette that is perfect for a salad on a hot summer day. Love the sesame ginger with chicken or tuna and rice. Everything from Newman's is good IMHO except for: Raspberry and Walnut Vinegarette :grumble:
  • lgolden
    lgolden Posts: 164
    Options
    The Newman's Own Lighten Up! line of dressings is pretty awesome. They have a lime vinegarette that is perfect for a salad on a hot summer day. Love the sesame ginger with chicken or tuna and rice. Everything from Newman's is good IMHO except for: Raspberry and Walnut Vinegarette :grumble:

Newman's Own Lighten Up gets my vote! I just bought a Walden Farms dressing that has zero calories but haven't tried it yet.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Hello,

I really wished I remembered all the info to back up this statement...I remember seeing it here on the posts somewhere....fat free salad dressing interferes with breakdown and absorbtion of the salad ingredients - pls look at past posts to gain further info on this. I was always told too, that the fat from the salad dressing helps with feeling satisfied with your salad per say....I do believe that this is where portion control is vital. IMHO I would rather have just a bit of great tasting dressing than a gallon of awful tasting dressing. Again, my info is a bit gray, but, I wanted to offer an opinion. Hopefully, others will chime in on this as well.

Good Luck!

This is true. The fat in salad dressing (or any kind of fat, really) does help your body absorb the nutrients from vegetables and greens. I personally really love Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing. It's full fat, but also full flavor. Also, watch out for added sugars in fat free and reduced fat dressings. They can also be very high in sodium.

As a happy medium, I would stay away from fat free dressings and go with reduced fat instead. You will cut about half the calories, but still have some fat that will help keep you full. Botsford Farms makes a good ranch dressing made with yogurt that's pretty good, and I do like Kraft Light Italian and their organic Raspberry Vinegrette.
  • Connie1979
    Connie1979 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You mean to tell me I've been torturing myself with this fat free junk and the full fat and full flavor dressing is better for you....:frown: .....I'm going to try some of yalls suggestions...thanks

195234.png
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    also, put your dressing on the side and dip each bite in, you use way less dressing.
  • dskline1
    dskline1 Posts: 123
    Options
    You mean to tell me I've been torturing myself with this fat free junk and the full fat and full flavor dressing is better for you....:frown: .....I'm going to try some of yalls suggestions...thanks

195234.png

I have to agree...fat free dressing is torture to me too!!! stick with the good stuff...just limit the amount!!! You will fall in love with your salads all over again....:laugh:
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I tried a lot of ff dressings. I agree, they're all nasty. Either they're watery or waaaayyyy too sweet.

I went back to full fat and I am a lot more satisfied. Plus I don't eat a lot of fat through the day anyway. Turns out carbs and sodium are bigger enemies of mine than fat, so I try to not pay the two tablespoons any attention.

I second making your own- it's quite simple and you can make anything you like. Which is great if you're a picky eater like me.
  • sincereme
    sincereme Posts: 276
    Options
    This is my favorite homemade dressing. It is so good and tasty:

Ceaser Dressing full of flavor
    2 Minutes to Prepare and Cook

Ingredients

2 tablespoons fat-free Greek yogurt
    1/2 garlic clove
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon malt vinegar
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Salt and black pepper (to taste) * Sodium count will vary depending on how much you put in. It is not calculated in the nutrition count.

Directions

combine all the ingredients into a small mixing bowl and stir together with a whisk. Taste and season before setting aside.

Number of Servings: 2

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 2
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 71.6
    Total Fat: 6.8 g
    Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    Sodium: 73.5 mg
    Total Carbs: 0.8 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.0 g
    Protein: 1.4 g