Quitting Smoking

Options
Sooo tomorrow is my quit date!! I am excited and scared...if anyone has any suggestions on how to cut down on eating once you quit....please let me know. Thanks!!:heart:

Replies

• angiepc
    angiepc Posts: 6
    Options
    Congrats on making the decision to quit smoking! I'm glad you aren't quitting like I did. Major heart attack at 53 made it really easy to put them away.

My friend quit like you are, with a quit date. He walked around the block as fast as he could every time he had a craving. By the time he was done the craving was gone. Here's where it gets funny! He got walking so fast he had to not only lengthen his walk to make it last long enough to get rid of the craving but he's LOST weight!

Good luck!
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if you're doing it cold turkey? I don't think I could have ever quit without the chantix. All I can say is stock up on a lot of sugar free gum and stay busy!:flowerforyou:
  • The_BoSS
    The_BoSS Posts: 32
    Options
    well congrats for your decision... i have quit smoking and it's about a month now and beleive me i was fanatic smoker... you will feel great that's for sure but be careful cuz you can easily get cold... this situation will last for a month... congrats again!!!:flowerforyou:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    (Pre)Congrats!

I quit 3 weeks ago after 34 years of smoking. I was really worried about the weight gain, so I planned for the changes I would go through. I've not cheated and haven't gained any weight, so far.

* I did it when I was on vacation so I would not be tempted by the routine that normally involved smoking.
    * I bought EZQuit artificial cigarettes to give my hands/mouth something to do (instead of eat).
    * I had tic tacs for when I really had an oral craving.
    * I had gum, just in case (although I don't like gum).
    * I got rid of all my smoking equipment (cigarette case, lighters, ashtrays) and put 5lb dumbells near my usual smoking spots. Whenever I'd want a smoke, I'd pick up the dumbell instead and do 10-15 curls.
    * I bought celery and carrots to munch on, as well as pretzels.
    * I rewarded myself for each week that passed without smoking by giving myself a treat (dessert or drink or something I enjoy).
    * I keep a large jug of water nearby and sip at that when I want a cigarette. It helps :).

Good luck!
  • Sher43
    Sher43 Posts: 3
    Options
    I quit smoking 10 weeks ago. I smoked 2 and a half packs a day and smoked for 22 years. WHEW! It helped to drink A LOT of water and fruit juices the first 3 days. I chewed a lot of gum. I took long walks, when the cravings were bad. I cut a straw the size of my cigarette and took a little bit of a paper towel and folded it up and put cinnamon oil on it and inserted it into the straw and puffed on that. I still chew a lot of gum...sugarless. When I finish a meal....i like to put a piece of gum in my mouth. I would say that the physical addiction lasted about 2 and a half days. I am sooooo glad that i quit and now i am eating healthy and working out 6 days a week for an hour every morning!
  • JenniferMann24
    Options
    DO NOT....I REPEAT DO NOT USE THOSE DRUGS THAT HELP YOU QUIT. ...... THEY CAUSE MAJOR SIDE EFFECTS.......THEY CAN NOT ONLY MESS UP YOUR BODY BUT ALSO YOUR MIND!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I quit 2 years ago with Chantix. I took a dose every morning for 11 days and I was done. Haven't had one since, or really wanted one.

Good luck - stay with it... I think the take a walk advice is terrific. Wife and I quit together and had cuddle-times when we craved, so that was cool. :blushing:
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    :happy: congrats on a wonderful decision! HOW EVER YOU ARE GONNA DO IT!!!! it is a great thing to do!:bigsmile: Living proof right here:happy:
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I LOVE CHANTIX! For me, it was the only way. I have been smoke free for months and can't imagine how I ever DID smoke to begin with. I am almost finished the program and I know that I won't go back. I, like millions of smokers, tried everything. Chantix is a miracle!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking the big step to quit smoking!
    For me, the first three days I felt like a zombie... I mostly slept because my body just felt like absolute crap. After that I was fine, and started chewing lots of gum, especially during cravings. Cleaning the house or going for a walk also helped when the cravings hit. The key I think is to keep yourself constantly busy, keep your hands occupied and you'll be fine.

I gained 6 pounds when I quit (mostly due to rewarding myself by allowing me to drink soda again) but here I am a month and a half later and I dropped that weight and now I'm back on track to reaching my weight loss goals. It sucks to gain, but don't sweat it if you do... the small amount of gain is absolutely worth the health benifits of quitting.

Good luck to you! You can do it! :flowerforyou:

Edit - Not sure if your going cold turkey or using an aid. I used the nicotine patch and it works really well!
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I did it cold turkey and havn't looked back:) in 9 hours it will have been a MONTH!!!!:bigsmile:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Congrats on such an important decision. I quit it early April and I already feel so much better. I still cravings but they do go away. I probably did eat a bit more than normal but since I associate drinking with smoking I basically gave up drinking too so I guess my calories have balanced out.

If you feel like you need your hand to be busy or need to have something in your mouth keep some raw fruit and veggies and gum on hand. Also, I've started drinking herbal tea which has helped me.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I did it cold turkey and havn't looked back:) in 9 hours it will have been a MONTH!!!!:bigsmile:

WOW GRATS! You have got some crazy will power! I tried cold turkey once... I lasted a day and a half, I was flipping out balling my eyes out every time a craving hit, my chest hurt like crazy and I was coughing up all sorts of crap and shaking like a mad woman. :laugh:
  • Laura817
    Laura817 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thank you all for the encourgment! It means alot to me!! So everyone knows, I am going to use patches....However, see that all of you have quit makes me feel better!! So i know I am not alone in this....Trust me I will keep you all posted on this and the weight....Thanks again! I am excited to be smoke free!! :):smooched:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    :happy: How is it going so far?