What to cook?

Mazzyx
Mazzyx Posts: 131
I've got some turkey to use tonight but im trying to reduce my carbs in the evening, as I do tend to overload on carbs a bit. I'm also wheat free so have to consider that. But what should I cook?! Anyone got any recipes? Particularly cheapish ones? I'm in the Uk btw. :smile:. Thank you in advance. :flowerforyou:

P.s. if anyone also has any good recipes for low carb evening meals that would be great as well! Or in fact any advice on what to substitute for what again that would be great! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• RAF_Guy
    RAF_Guy Posts: 230 Member
    Got this from the BBC Food website:

Nigel Slater dresses leftover turkey up with a sweet-and-sour marinade and a zingy citrus salad.

Ingredients
    4-6 good handfuls leftover roast turkey meat

3 garlic cloves

2 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons soy sauce

a tablespoon chilli sauce

a tablespoon tomato ketchup

a tablespoon grain mustard

black pepper

225-250ml/8-9fl oz turkey stock

a little vegetable oil

For the salad
    2 oranges

a grapefruit

4 handfuls watercress

Preparation method
    Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.

Strip the cooked meat from the turkey, keeping the pieces as large as you can. They will stay juicier that way.

Peel and crush the garlic and put it in a mixing bowl. Stir in the honey, soy sauce, chilli sauce, ketchup, mustard, turkey stock and a drizzle of vegetable oil. Season with a little black pepper, then add the turkey meat. Toss gently then tip everything into a baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the meat is glistening.

Meanwhile make the salad. Peel the oranges and grapefruit with a sharp knife, then slice thinly. Toss with the watercress.

To serve, pile the hot turkey onto the salad and serve.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Here's a link to the low carb group on MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

There are lots of recipes and meal ideas on here, in particular the "Whats on your menu today" thread.

I too am in the UK. One of my go-to turkey recipes is Turkey stroganoff with cauliflower 'rice'

Turkey (chopped)
    Mushrooms
    mustard (2 tsp)
    pinch of paprika
    Black pepper
    cream/sour cream (2- tbsp)
    onion (1/2 onion)
    garlic (1 or 2 cloves)

Cauliflower rice:

1/4 head cauliflower, blitz in a food processor or grate on a cheese grater until it resembles rice. put in a microwavable bowl and put a plate over the top. Microwave on high for 3-4 mins, no need for any liquid- it will steam in its own moisture.
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    bump
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Turkey-Broccoli Alfredo - use zucchini for your "pasta" by slicing into ribbons with a peeler, or a specialty peeler to turn it into julienned threads.

Shredded turkey quesadillas using a low-carb pita pocket (Josephs makes an excellent pita pocket that is extremely low carb). The pita cooks up just like a tortilla wrap when you want to get it nice and crusty-crunchy in the pan.

Throw in some shredded cheesed, sauteed onions, peppers, tomatoes, habanero sauce (if you are gutsy like me), homemade salsa - totally awesome meal and very low carb
  • Mazzyx
    Mazzyx Posts: 131
    Ooo Thanks for the replies. I shall certainly be given them a go some point this week and joining the group. :flowerforyou: thanks :smile: