Vitamin B -12

Options
Hi i am new here but i just wanted some advice on vitamins. I am constantly getting sick or can never get over being sick ,fatigued and have been shedding a lot more hair than normal also sometimes my fingertips go numb like they are frozen and my nail beds turn purple. Will taking vitamin B-12 help with this? I normally do not take vitamins because they make me nauseus. Especially womens daily. Thank you !

Replies

• jcmk87
    jcmk87 Posts: 57
    Options
    This isn't something you should be asking on a public forum, best is to consult with your doctor.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi i am new here but i just wanted some advice on vitamins. I am constantly getting sick or can never get over being sick ,fatigued and have been shedding a lot more hair than normal also sometimes my fingertips go numb like they are frozen and my nail beds turn purple. Will taking vitamin B-12 help with this? I normally do not take vitamins because they make me nauseus. Especially womens daily. Thank you !

you should probably seek professional medical advice on that, that sounds like a serious problem
  • jcmk87
    jcmk87 Posts: 57
    Options
    Also take note when supplementing with vitamins that you might be influencing another vitamin's ability to be absorbed by the body...
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    It really sounds like you need an all round vitamin mineral, and a trip to the Dr. As for the being sick part, you could try vitamin D, and fish oil, and pro boitics to help build up you immune system. If you are taking gel cap vitamins then sometimes it is the gel that makes people feel sick so perhaps you could try taking a multi vitamin and mineral in a different form, like liquid (I can't give you a brand as I only know Swedish ones) they are usually pretty gross tasting, but its like a table spoon or 2 and it may not make you feel as sick.

Also make sure you are eating a balanced diet, with special attention to fruits and veg, esp leafy greens (broccoli, spinach, cale, silverbeet, asian greens etc)

To be honest, I'm not sure its just B 12 that you need.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I think a doctor visit is in order. The things you are describing need to be brought to a doctor's attention as it sounds like it may be more than a vitamin deficiency.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Cor. Bad circulation: you smoke? You undereating? anorexic? Or conversely extremely obese?

Numbness in fingers - often due to neck injury. Nerves get pinched and you get numbness. I get it a lot.

You ever had whiplash? A car crash? A fall off a horse or motorcycle?

Shedding hair: you 35? :D Most of the people I know lost hair at about 35. That or it all migrated to their chins. Yay. :)

Nutrients: what are you eating? Do you eat anything? A balanced diet should give you all nutrients but perhaps a decent shake like complan or vitaplan once a day would ensure you got a reasonable dose of goodies.

Vitamin B is very good for you but it isn't a magic cure. Tends to improve energy, mood, lower stress levels. :) Constantly getting sick is improved by healthy eating, healthy activity and healthy amounts of sleep in a house that doesn't have things like black mold or other pathogens. How dusty is your bedroom?

See, there are too many variables, but above is a place to start. :) Good luck.
  • Girl06
    Girl06 Posts: 12
    Options
    It may be nothing. but i would go to the doctor to be sure. especially if your going to dieting and exercising. good luck!!! :smile:
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options

Definitely something to see the doc about. I am b12 deficient and have to take a shot monthly as well as a sublingual 3 times a week. But this is closely monitored by my doctor.
  • FitSid
    FitSid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    if you're vegan or vegetarian, taking a b12 supplement would help, but otherwise go see your local doc.
  • leez1984
    leez1984 Posts: 22
    Options
    As someone with Pernicious Anaemia (immune disorder which prevents my gut absorbing b12, leading to b12 anaemia) I can tell you that not all of your symptoms are b12 related, only the fatigue and hairloss. The temporary nerve problems are not a b12 problem (b12 anaemia can cause nerve damage in the extremities if left untreated as mine was, but it doesn't come and go). The purple nail beds are not b12 related. If in doubt, ask your doctor to do a b12 anaemia check but even if you are positive, taking an oral supplement wouldn't help as your body (unless your diet is absolutely horrific) likely cannot process it through the gut.

My advice (as with everyone else's above) - see a doctor to discuss your symptoms.
  • jessienmiller
    jessienmiller Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who replied! Here are some of the answers that people have been asking me. I am 30 , a smoker ( wanting to quit), I exercise, eat my fruits and veggies do not like much meat ,hate milk . I currently weigh 114 so im not overweight and not anorexic either. I have not had any falls or injuries havent been in a wreck since 2001. So maybe this can fill the questions inmore. I was seeing a doc for a while i had other health problems too . Last year she did a CBC, iron and several other tests. She said it all seems to be stressed related. But no matter what kind of problem i am having she either doesnt know or she blames stress. So im going to see about getting a different doctor. I also have nigt sweats atleast 3-4 nights a week ,dizziness,headaches. ?????
  • heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A b-12 deficiency will mess you up. I had one and I felt like I was drunk 24/7. Dizzy, shaky, my legs wouldn't move properly like they were disconnected from my body.. my doctor asked if I was a vegan because my levels were so low (I'm not).

Sometimes this can be remedied with b-12 shots OR oral b-12 but you might have a problem that prevents you from absorbing it.

I also just read an article written by a vegan who took all her b-12 supplements and her bloodwork showed good b-12 levels, but the hormonal birth control she was taking was preventing her from absorbing any of it. Let me know if you want it and I can find a link to the article for you.

Edited to add: smoking can sometimes mess up your b-12 receptors too, from what I've read anyway.