Heart Rate Zone Question

I have a question regarding heart rate zone. I am 43 years of age and my current maximum fat loss zone is 142 – 153. The problem is that when working out in this zone it seems a bit too slow. I only perspire a little and feel like I am not really challenging myself. I have on a few occasions got my heart rate in the 170s which feels like more of a challenge. I am seriously sweating, working hard, and feel like I am accomplishing something. Is it dangerous for me to work out in this zone even though I feel as if I can handle it? As previously stated, staying in the maximum fat burn zone of 142 – 153 seems soooo slow; any advice?

Replies

• Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Sweating has nothing to do with working hard and working within the target heart rate zone.

A good indicator of a good cardio workout is that you cannot have a conversation while working out. If you have to stop and gasp for air every sentence to every other sentence then you are working hard enough. If you cannot catch your breath and feel short of breath you are working to hard. If you can have a conversation without gasping for air you are not working hard enough.

170 is pretty fast but it is still below your maximal heart rate of 177 so I don't see to much concern with it.
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    bump
  • RAF_Guy
    RAF_Guy Posts: 230 Member
    The 170s zone you are reaching is quite close to your maximum HR for your age - 176 - so you need to be careful. It might be worth looking at the following webpage to see where you should be aiming for:

http://walking.about.com/cs/fitnesswalking/a/hearttraining_2.htm
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    I am 39 and usually workout with my heart rate in the 160's-170's. This is where I am when I'm really working hard (sweating and huffing & puffing) My heart rate monitor shows that I burn alot more calories when I am in that range.

So from my experience the "zone" is a myth. If I'm sore I do a lighter workout and the calorie burn really suffers. (ie: 36 min treadmill, average HR 131, burn 310 cal; 37 min treadmill, average HR 141, burn 365 cal; 37 min treadmill, average HR 162, burn 487 calories). These are readings from my heart rate monitor with chest strap (not from the machine) for some recent workouts.

I'm a firm believer that if you want results it takes "hard" work. I'm sure some will disagree but this has been my experience.
  • DrJackson6
    DrJackson6 Posts: 156 Member
    Thank you all for your comments. I to tend to agree with you and feel the same way. I think I will compromise and work in the high 150s low 160s and see how that feels. I just don't want to have a heart attack while working out, that would not be too good.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    I have a question regarding heart rate zone. I am 43 years of age and my current maximum fat loss zone is 142 – 153. The problem is that when working out in this zone it seems a bit too slow. I only perspire a little and feel like I am not really challenging myself. I have on a few occasions got my heart rate in the 170s which feels like more of a challenge. I am seriously sweating, working hard, and feel like I am accomplishing something. Is it dangerous for me to work out in this zone even though I feel as if I can handle it? As previously stated, staying in the maximum fat burn zone of 142 – 153 seems soooo slow; any advice?

Your intuition is serving you very well here. The so called "fat loss zone" is not the best method for most otherwise healthy people to go about burning fat. As long as you're healthy, then you're not going to get a heart attack from getting close to your max heart rate. Your max rate is simply the max rate your heart can beat. It's not some sort of danger zone that means cardiac arrest is imminent. If you feel okay, then doing intervals where you hit close to your max heart rate is nothing to worry about. For one, your true max heart rate might be higher than is calculated. Second, unless you have heart disease, then there is very little evidence to suggest that that exercise can provoke a fatal heart attack in a normal heart (I would actually say zero evidence, but I'm not a cardiologist).

The "fat burning zone" got it's name b/c at that heart rate your body burns slightly more calories from fat then at other heart rates. However, since you're not working out as hard, you're actually doing yourself a disservice. If you burn more calories via other methods of exercise, then your fat will eventually get burned later anyway. If you can healthy enough to handle higher intensity exercise, then that will get you far better results than the "fat burning zone."
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    If you have heart problems then I would ask your doctor about it. My dad had a heart attack and has a stint... The cardiologist told him to stay between 140-150 on the treadmill. I also wouldn't push yourself to the point of dizziness or gasping for air... But if you feel good and can sort of sing along to your iPod... Then you're probably fine! :flowerforyou: