Options
    You are soooo right!
  • saynotofat
    Options
    You are sooo right!
  • kbc525
    kbc525 Posts: 149
    Options
    For some reason I wasn't doing well with the new points system on WW and it was making me so upset because I was trying and doing so well with it... I switched to Jenny Craig which is even MORE $$$ but I used MFP to help count and calculate.. so far 3 weeks off Jenny and I'm doing so much better - and MFP is FREE...
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I left WW when they started the "Free" foods BS. Didn't lose anything eating my weight in fruit every day.
  • Girl06
    Girl06 Posts: 12
    Options
    I confess to doing both.. i have the book and calculater and measuring cups so ive been doing it at home. along with myfitnesspal. i jot down my meals for the day that im going to eat in the morning and check for points. than i jot it down on mfp. just to make sure weight watchers n mfp aare on the same pace LOL. So far ive lost 7.. i know my ticker says 5. but thats because i had to start a new account, long story. lol
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I have had success with both. BUT....1. Its free. 2. I don't have to lug around a "points calculator" 3. The support is much better here than anywhere!!!! Save the money and put it in retirement so you can take your beach body on Vacation. :)

this ^^

i have done ww many times , each time it does work .. but i can't stand the new version

the cost is crazy, this site is free and basicly the same thing

ww - you figure calories, fat, fiber (old plan) and new plan i think it added carbs??? ( can't remember)
    MFP - track your calories (you can have it display the rest if you like)

ww- $10 a week
    mfp - free

you can lose on both .. im sticking to MFP
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    I did WW several times over the course of several years. I always had to go out of my way to find a meeting so I could weigh in. This bugged me. Plus my available time was hard to match up with there's. The one and only time I was successful was when I was able to go on their website and read other peoples post....just like here on MFP. Thats what motivated and kept me going. I feel like I know people on this site personally (even though I never met them in person). Like someone else mentioned...at WW meetings I didn't get that same bonding, I could go month after month and not know someones name. On MFP I feel relaxed. I can document as I have time...not when they want me to be there. And at $4 per gallon for gas, I don't have to drive 20 miles out of my way to weigh in, I'm sorry but I am an adult....I document the weight on the scale I don't need someone else doing it for me, And its free. I've learned more from this sight in a few weeks of reading posts then I ever did with WW. But I agree with others...you have to do what works with you.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I left WW when they started the "Free" foods BS. Didn't lose anything eating my weight in fruit every day.

This is one of the big differences between MFP and WW, and this may be the first time it was discussed in the thread.

You log everything in MFP. There are certain things that don't cost points in WW. Anyone with more input on this difference? I think it's one of the main ones (other than meetings and points conversion) that OP should consider.

I haven't done WW, but I have a weight loss buddy who uses it while I use this. The idea of "free food" had me coming over here. I don't want to have any food which is "free" - I need to think about everything I put in my body.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I thought about WW before I started on here but as I have a very restricted medical diet I knew that WW would not be able to fit in with that. I decided to join here as it fits in with my diet and is also so easy to follow. The fact that it is free also is an incentive and dont have to find time to go to meetings.
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    : i lost weight by myself 22lb then came to a standstill, i then joined mfp and lost another 21lb. but then i enjoyed Christmas and couldn't get my head back into gear, so then i joined w,w on line for a change and i hated it. This site is so much better to get around, the people are so much better for support. in all i have put on 16lb!!!:sad: !. i am now back on mfp and have lost 2lb this week..:smile:
    My friends from mfp have been with me all the way supporting me:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • MandieBellie
    MandieBellie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have used both. WW helped my husband and I lose almost 50lbs together. Because of the cost I chose to use MFP. I use the WW priciples with MFP. How long have you used WW? are you close to being a lifetime member, where you would no longer have to pay the membership fee?
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I did WWs 30 years ago, and it worked. My sister is doing it online now, and it works for her.

But,

I can't afford WWs at this time, and to be honest, this site is the best thing I have ever tried. I started here the last week of July '11 and have not looked back.

I still use some of the same weight loss ideas that I learned from WWs. I think that you have to find what works for you. And not everything works for everyone.

I work with a group of girls that do a variety of things to lose the pounds..... some sprinkle on the majic powder, Sensa, some take Plexi Slim, some have had surgery and some take pills. I have seen each of these women have success. I am so proud of all of them.

I think you have to do what works for you.

Good luck to you in your choice. You will do great!
  • MandyMcAwesome
    MandyMcAwesome Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot on weight watchers and I liked going to the meetings, but it was kinda like church. You go once a week, feel inspired, and by the end of the week your debating how many snicker bars you can eat in one sitting. I feel like I get more consistent and down to earth support here than there. With that being said, I felt like having a specific weigh in and paying for it kept me more accountable. Then again, I feel like MFP will stay with me longer than WW.
  • Jules2589
    Options
    I have been on both, and although I have been on MFP only a couple of months, here is what I have found:
    1. MFP works because both my husband and I are doing it together, (he wouldn't have ever gone to a WW meeting, and counting "points" seemed silly to him, counting calories is very visible and user friendly if you are at the grocery store for example.
    2. MFP is FREE, I wasted a lot of money on WWonline. I did enjoy the meetings, but never really "connected" with anyone, and on MFP you can opt to discuss what YOU need to hear, for answers, inspiration, suggestions, recipes etc. Sometimes the WW conversations turned to an avenue that didn't really apply to your life.
    3.I think the accountability factor (having to weigh in at WW meetings) could force you to make wiser choices sometimes.
    4.Our close friends are doing MFP with us and we are a great support for each other. Again I think MFP is something that is much easier for men to get on board with thus making it easier for couples to do it together.
    5. The results of adding in exercise are very tangible.. you can immediately see what how many more calories you have to work with after working out.
    6. MFP is free. Oh yeah, I already said that.

I do take some of my WW lessons and apply them here, "If you bite it , write it" and little tips like dipping your fork into the salad dressing then into your undressed salad..
  • kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have been using both for almost 2 months. WW makes it a little easier if you are just getting started with weight loss. Also, there are a lot of prepackaged foods available with points values on the labels. That is helpful, especially when buying snacks (no one can live on carrot sticks and celery forever....a girl needs an occasional 2 point ice cream sandwich). That being said, MFP is great AND free. I think it is personal preference till you start tracking macros...then MFP is the way to go. WW doesn't really do that.
  • gettingfit1961
    Options
    Wow! If I read this correctly, you just posted and you've received a LOT of replies! That right there is testimony to the MFP community. First off, my hat is off to you for being so considerate of your wife and wanting to find a plan that works for both of you. What a guy! Friends of mine (husband and wife) have been on Jenny Craig for about 9 months. He has lost 60 pounds and met his goal. While she has had success, it hasn't been as fast or dramatic. There are several reasons for this. He is Army and works out at least 5 days/week. She has had health issues that prevent her from exercising. Regardless, supporting each other is very important -- even if you find yourselves on different plans. I don't think one size fits all.

My husband and I both had success with WW online. You get a handle on portion control, making smarter food choices and increasing your activity -- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY TRACKING ALL THIS. We continued our online subscriptions for a year or so. At some point, we felt like we knew what we needed to do. It was a matter of sticking to it. That's when we ultimately dropped WW (it does get pricey). We had both used SparkPeople for a while. I later found MFP, but he still uses SP. When he retires this summer and moves back home (he's mobilized Army Reserve), I hope to get him on MFP. I find the interface much easier to use.

If your wife needs a little kick-start, you might want to suggest to her the Digest Diet's new plan. It's a 21 day plan designed to help your body release fat. I am in no way affiliated with the program! My husband read about the diet in Reader's Digest and we ordered the book (beware, it can take 6 weeks to get). You can go to their Facebook site to read about others' experience with it. It's fairly regimented, but it's very healthy. If your wife has plateaued, it might be a good psychological boost. I've lost about 3 pounds in less than a week. Most of it is fluids, I'm sure because the diet restricts your salt intake... but it makes a strong case for including healthy fats.

I also started using the FitBit. www.fitbit.com. There is probably a community of FitBit users here on MFP. Again, I am not affiliated with the FitBit people. But I LOVE this little device. It will cost you $100 up front, but the online tools are free -- no monthly subscription -- AND it integrates beautifully with MFP!

Enough blathering for one morning. Best of luck to you and your wife!
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    I've done both, find MFP way easier, more honest and real.
  • jlynwhet
    jlynwhet Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was a WW member off and on for years and lost and regained. I finally got my head straight and lost 50 lbs the last time I re-joined. It took me about six months and I felt good. Unfortunately, I gained most of it back following the death of my husband the following year. I contemplated WW again this year when I was ready to get back on track, and then a co-worker led me to MFP. I tried it instead and I'm so very glad I did! It has all that WW can offer me and its free which is a big plus in my book. I like the tracking which definitely spurs me to stay on course. I also get encouragement and gain momentum from my "friends."
  • tubbytracey
    tubbytracey Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am on both right now and it is a bit time consuming, but I am using iTrackBites app and it was only 1.99 compared to the $15 a month the WW app is. I have three more weeks on weight watchers and then my membership expires so we will see how I do after I stop going to the meetings. Since starting WW (7 weeks) I have lost 9.6 pounds. MyFitnessPal has a great support system!
  • tdavis092206
    Options
    I have been on WW forever and I never seemed to lose any weight. I started MFP on 2/26/12 and I am down 15.4 lbs already. Not sure which is better but I seem more motivated on MFP. I have gotten several of my friends to join too.. Love it!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!