Fitbit, Fuelband, etc..

Options
2»

Replies

• Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    KH, Thanks for the explanation---especially about how the Fitbite website and MFP communicate with each other. So, let's say that from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. you are exercising and using the HRM to figure how many calories you burned. How do the logistics work? Do you leave both the Fitbit and the HRM on while exercising? Then do you manually enter the exercise and calories burned in your exercise diary on MFP? How does Fitbit know to adjust calories or what period of time should be discounted from the Fitbit? Do you do something to let the Fitbit know that exercies activity occurred at a certain point in the recording?

One other question---does Fitbit figure your activity and estimated calories burned on a 24-hour basis, from 12:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.? If so, then if you're using the Fitbit information to determine how you should be eating and your readings vary significantly from day to day, do you just use the readings from the previous 24 hours for the current day?

From what I've read so far (and I have started reading some of the Fitbit forums, as well), I think I would really like to get one, but I'm trying to understand just how it can or cannot be used before I purchase it.
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    stick with a good HRM. if you want to count steps, you can get a pedometer for $4 from amazon.
  • KLD81230
    KLD81230 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bumpity-bump-ump-ump...
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    stick with a good HRM. if you want to count steps, you can get a pedometer for $4 from amazon.

Decided on a Polar. Fitbit is more than a pedometer...but also kind of a pedometer :) Neat but not exactly what I need right now, which are numbers to help me understand my work out, cal burnt, fitness level, etc.
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried Fitbit, Nike Fuelband or similar products? Curious about your experience and recommendations. Thanks!

I have a Nike + that i use with my itouch..I have a sensor that clips on my shoe and away I go :) I have no complaints ..If you have a newer iphone/itouch it should the app and all you need is the sensor and something to secure it to your shoe.

I also have a Polar HRM but then I realized i already answered this post too lol :D /facepalm
  • Razzlebari
    Razzlebari Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know you didn't ask about it, but I love the body media fit type devices. I use a bodybugg, but the interface and stuff is better for body media fit. Some people think it doesn't do well with biking and you can't wear it while swimming, but I pretty much just wear it all the time and eat 500 less than whatever it tells me and voila! instant deficit.

I'm seconding the BMF. These devices are really fabulous motivators, and they do more than track steps and motion. The sensors that touch your skin on the band are collecting data that they then transform into calories burned. From my experience, it's been pretty accurate, and a great reminder for those days I need to be more active.

Check it out: http://www.bodymedia.com/Shop/CORE-Armband
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    love the fit bit- long story short had both body media fit & fitbit they told me the same calorie burn give or take 50 calories for a week. Teh fitbit is accurate enough to tell you your tdee so you can creae your desired deficit & I LOVE IT> As everyone else has said its a hige motivator & connects with mfp :)
  • mandalu292
    mandalu292 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have had my Fitbit for about a month now and LOVE it. I haven't had it fall off at all, and I find that if you clip it on the inside of your bra (for the ladies out there) it stays perfectly. I forget it's even on there. Granted, if you want to check your stats and you're not on the computer you do have to reach into your shirt. lol

I love that it syncs with MFP... what I have found is that Fitbit is much more accurate with my workouts. I used to log my exercise into MFP. Now that I have my fitbit I let it sync up itself. MFP was OVERestimating my calorie burn during my workouts by a couple hundred calories every time! I also like that it gives me an accurate count for things like running errands, or cleaning the house. Those are things I'd never add as exercise, but the Fitbit does it automatically. I feel like I really know now what my true burn is every day and what deficit I need. I would highly recommend it to anyone! It keeps me striving to get more activity each day.