Fat in Almonds?

Hey All,

I've been eating Almonds (Dry Roasted/Unsalted) lateley as I heard they're good for you and help promote a boost in metabolism. I've defintely noticed a change in metabolism! They contain about 14g of Fat but only 1g of Saturated Fat and 0g Trans fat. Does anyone know what the remaining fat is and if it's bad for you? They take up alot of my "Fat Count" on my MFP counter but my dad said that it's good fat and not to worry. Does MFP not separate between the different types of fat, I.E. good fat and bad fat? Confused :(

Replies

• RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    It's monounsaturated fat which is definitely a good fat. My rule of thumb is: All fats are good fats as long as they are not chemically created or chemically processed. And as long as you get what you need and not consume excessive amounts.

Some other interesting stuff about almonds:
    http://www.rillsmenu.com/2012/03/food-facts-almonds.html
  • lollypop_ginger
    lollypop_ginger Posts: 69 Member
    Your dad is right. Everybody needs a certain amount of fat in their diet but it is better to come from food such as nuts than junk food, obviously. I eat nuts and peanut butter almost every day and sometimes even go over my daily allowance but I've had no trouble losing weight!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    I ignore the fat % if it is high due to eating healthy fats: Salmon, Nuts, avocado (don't eat this but is part of the list of healthy fats), EVOO, eggs. This is what I eat often.
    If my fat % is high due to eating junk food then I will pay more attention.

I baked some awesome cookies during the weekend to take to a cookout. Of course I kept some. There are 9 gr of fat in a 1oz cookie, I had about 3 on Sat and the same amount yesterday. I had 1 today. This is the kind of fat I need to eliminate but because it was a splurge and not something I do often I was OK with it.
  • jmapes9
    jmapes9 Posts: 144 Member
    Raw almonds, peanuts and walnuts are great for you, regardless of their fat content. I carry a baggie of raw almonds & walnuts to work with me each day... I call it my 400 calorie nut pack! I measure 1 oz of walnuts on the food scale (190 cals), and add 30 almonds to it (raw almonds are 7 cals a piece).

Eating these nuts together makes it taste better, and it goes well with drinking water. I loathe drinking water, but I find it easier to drink it when you are rinsing your mouth out after eating the nuts.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 866 Member
    I am always over on my fat, not from junk food, but from eggs, coconut oil (almonds until I cut those out...I could not stop eating them...like candy!!) and I have lost weight. I do not think all fat is bad, so I would not worry about the fat in almonds.
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Fat in almonds is the "GOOD" fat that everyone is talking about...Almonds help boost metabolism, give you healthy fats (the kind that are not saturated) and the protein in them helps you feel fuller longer. I LOVE ALMONDS...But I also know that yes although some fat is good for you, you do still want to keep your fat intake (good or bad fat) limited to a certain amount if you want to lose weight. You want to make sure that you are not adding more fat than you can burn off.

That is why I love this site...When I enter in my food it gives me my "recommended amounts" of different categories of nutrition. I can alot of times see that my fat intake is higher than suggested, but then I log some exercise and I can see those numbers go down.

Almonds in my opinion are truly a "miracle food"
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Almonds are always an healthy option .. I eat around 10-12 almonds almost everyday ..
    and dont worry about the fat contents thats all good fat.. not saturated fat
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Almonds contain healthy fats.

Here is a good article on fats based on medical science: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol/index.html

Fats have more calories per gram than carbohydrates or protein, so for weight loss it is good idea not to overeat them, but they are important for health so you also don't want to go too low fat.

MFP does have settings for saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat. I track both fat and saturated fat. I try to hit the general fat goal but stay under the saturated fat goal, then I know most of my fats are the healthier kind.
  • Letters24You
    Letters24You Posts: 263 Member
    Thanks for all the quick and informative info!! I feel much better about my almond intake and my weigh in on Wednesday! I love the MFP community!