importance of weight training vs cardio

Options

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    this is a four part process: cardio, strength training, nutrition, and rest. no one is more important than the other.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    this is a four part process: cardio, strength training, nutrition, and rest. no one is more important than the other.

I agree with this. Cardio is important for your heart and lung health; strength training is important for general bone health and functional strength when using compound moves and free weights (I also recently read a study on the neurological benefits of lifting and resting). If your ultimate goal is weight loss you can accomplish this buy playing with your intake and doing nothing else. I mainly do cardio because I like to eat, and when I do cardio I can eat a lot. I strength train to reduce the chance of injury and to look good nekked (or in a bathing suit). I used to just focus on cardio, but I've found by adding intense strength training 3 days a week and reducing my cardio that when I do my cardio I can go faster, longer, harder, and higher. When I used to teach my step classes I felt good and athletic, now I feel like a beast.

Edit: compound moves. Someone brought up bicep curls: so grabbing a curl bar or dumbbells and setting up at a curl bench is an isloation move for your biceps, where as an underhand grip lat pull down or chin up is a complex move using many different muscles including your biceps.
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    As gmpearson indicated, I do weights, cardio, and yoga to help me lose weight. I love my cardio, but I adore weight training. Nothing in the world feels better than feeling muscles develop under the fat, knowing that the more muscle I have, the faster I burn fat. Yoga has been not only a wonderful way to increase flexibility, but also center my mind as I go through the emotional process of losing weight and changing my lifestyle.

If you're a blog follower, you can check mine out at fatandflexible.tumblr.com - It's kind of an all around fitspiration blog that I put all of my experiences in.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me what is classed as strength training?

I do Jillian Michaels 'No More Trouble Zones' twice a week.....and I class this as strength although the weights I'm using are only 3lbs. Low weights, high repitition.

Am I fooling myself?

I hate hate hate cardio, but I do it to create a bigger deficit, around 4 times a week.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It's all important. I'd never neglect cardio in favour of strength.

I lost all of my weight doing cardio alone but the addition of strength keeps me interested in working out (I get bored easily).
  • StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If I had to pick one, I'd pick weight training (and usually do due to time constraints).
    Same. (Not so much with the time constraints -- more with the simply disliking a lot of cardio.)
    Haha - this is me. I hate cardio. I walk occasionally with my boys, but it's only to the park and back. I much prefer lifting weights. I'm currently doing New Rules of Lifting for Women which has challenged my idea of calorie intake and how much weight to lift.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

I do Jillian Michaels 'No More Trouble Zones' twice a week.....and I class this as strength although the weights I'm using are only 3lbs. Low weights, high repitition.

Am I fooling myself?

I hate hate hate cardio, but I do it to create a bigger deficit, around 4 times a week.

JM is just more endurance training. Just because you include weights doesn't classify it as strength training. I don't know if there's an official definition of reps and sets, but I consider weight training to be anything that I can't lift more than 12 - 15 times, and my goal is generally more around 6 - 8.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Am I fooling myself?

JM is just more endurance training. Just because you include weights doesn't classify it as strength training. I don't know if there's an official definition of reps and sets, but I consider weight training to be anything that I can't lift more than 12 - 15 times, and my goal is generally more around 6 - 8.

Thank you. I need me some heavier weights then :wink:
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    They are both important. No need to pick one. Eat less to lose, add some cardio in for endurance and heart health (and to eat more lol), and lift weights for sculpting....i am choosing to focus on running 5 days a week and will lift weights twice a week for now.
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    Just curious.....I still have a lot of weight to lose. But if I strength train (using the machines at the gym), how many sets/reps should I be doing?

Alos, right now I am trying to go to the gym on my lunch break and usually only get a 30-40 minute workout. If I go 5 days a week, should I do strength training 3 days and cardio the other 2?

**I also have an elliptical at home that I could use for cardio and only do strength training at the gym. But would 5 days a week doing strength training be too much?

Thoughts on what would help me to better achieve my goals??
  • kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    Just curious.....I still have a lot of weight to lose. But if I strength train (using the machines at the gym), how many sets/reps should I be doing?

Alos, right now I am trying to go to the gym on my lunch break and usually only get a 30-40 minute workout. If I go 5 days a week, should I do strength training 3 days and cardio the other 2?

**I also have an elliptical at home that I could use for cardio and only do strength training at the gym. But would 5 days a week doing strength training be too much?

With strength training you need to allow time to rest in between. I would say no more than three times a week if you are doing it for long amounts of time. Don't forget to get your protein in as well to help build and repair those muscles.
  • ijustmightbecrazy
    Options

Don't have to follow the days I'm going to outline here exactly, but the important part is not repeating the same lift without a day off in between.

Sets x Reps

Week 1 Mon - 2 x 8, Wed 2 x 8 @ 90% of Mon weight, Fri 2 x 8 @ 80% of Mon Weight

Week 2 Mon - 2 x 9, Wed 2 x 9 @ 90% of Mon weight, Fri 2 x 9 @ 80% of Mon Weight

Week 3 Mon - 2 x 10, Wed 2 x 10 @ 90% of Mon weight, Fri 2 x 10 @ 80% of Mon Weight

Week 4 Mon - 2 x 11, Wed 2 x 11 @ 90% of Mon weight, Fri 2 x 11 @ 80% of Mon Weight

Week 5 Mon - 2 x 12, Wed 2 x 12 @ 90% of Mon weight, Fri 2 x 12 @ 80% of Mon Weight

Each lift should also be warmed up properly by doing 1 Set x Current Reps @ 25% of Monday Weight, and then 1 Set x Current Reps @ 50% of Monday weight prior to doing your 2 Sets x Current Reps.

Any week you fail to make all your sets x reps, repeat the week until you do. Once you've successfully completed the 2 x 12 week, increase the weight by 10% and start back at 2 x 8 again.

For machines, you'll want to do this on a minimum of the Leg Press (do your calves between sets by dropping your feet to where just the balls of your feet and toes are the only thing on the foot pad), Chest Press, Shoulder Press, Seated Row (Back), Back Extension, Bicep Curl, Tricep Extension. Free weights would be better for the secondary effect on other muscles (such as squats work your abs in addition to your legs by sheer fact of holding yourself upright with extra weight on your shoulders), but this will at least give you something. I understand your time constraint and the faster weight changing will be better for that. If you reach a point where you can go outside of work completely with more time, it would be more beneficial to switch over to free weights.

On the other two days, do some cardio/ab work.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

Look into a program if you're not familiar with lifting, I used NROL4W and to switch it up a bit will probably roll off onto Strong Lifts next but I'll look into a few. Doing compound moves instead of isolated moves on a machine will decrease the amount of time you spend in the gym and increase your overall functional strength. The potential issue with machines is that you don't work the stabilizer muscles and therefore while you may become stronger at lifting the plates on your machine, you will basically only be stronger on that machine and not in every day life since our bodies don't really work in isolation. Not to say that machines don't have their purpose. What program you use will determine 1) the amount of time you spend in the weight room, and 2) the number of days you spend in the weight room. I lift 3 days a week, NROL4W is generally 30 - 45 minutes of lifting (except in the last stage which takes me just over an hour).
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    Thanks, kassied09, ijustmightbec & allabtlm!!! I am excited about trying a different approach. And I definitely want to check out NROL4W at some point. I have heard several ladies mention this.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Cardio is great for endurance and heart health but is not needed for weight loss. The deficit needed to lose weight can be done through diet alone, cardio will allow you to eat more and have the same deficit.

While this statement may be true, it's also a little misleading. All other things being equal, a person burning 500 calories doing cardio every day will weigh less than the same person, eating the same diet and sitting on the couch. So cardio can help you achieve the calorie deficit needed to lose weight. True that it might not be the most efficient way...
  • ijustmightbecrazy
    Options

Cardio is great for endurance and heart health but is not needed for weight loss. The deficit needed to lose weight can be done through diet alone, cardio will allow you to eat more and have the same deficit.

While this statement may be true, it's also a little misleading. All other things being equal, a person burning 500 calories doing cardio every day will weigh less than the same person, eating the same diet and sitting on the couch. So cardio can help you achieve the calorie deficit needed to lose weight. True that it might not be the most efficient way...

Read what you wrote, eating the same diet. Therefore, the deficit created by the cardio in person A on the same diet is not present in the diet of person B, eliminating the deficit. Yes, 2 people eating the exact same foods with one doing cardio, one will lose weight and the other will not. You're completely ignoring the fact that its the calorie deficit itself that causes the weight loss, not the method in how the deficit is established.

Person A does zero cardio, has a total daily energy expenditure of 2000 calories. Person A needs to eat 1600 calories a day to cause a 20% caloric deficit to induce weight loss.

Person A now decides to do 500 calories of cardio, raising their total daily energy expenditure to 2500 calories. Person A can now eat up to 2000 calories a day and still be creating a 20% caloric deficit to induce weight loss.

Aside from the stamina and cardiovascular health, CARDIO IS A TOOL TO LET YOU EAT MORE. Strength training increases your lean body mass, which increases the amount of calories you need just to exist, thus letting you eat more.

Cardio = Immediately allows you to eat more, but the increase stops if you stop doing cardio.

Weights = Slowly allows you to eat more, but the increase fades away slowly as well.
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    Cardio isn't a necessity for weight loss. It's a tool for creating a bigger calorie deficit and there's health benefits to doing it, but to claim that it's a must for weight loss is just plain silly.
    Agreed. Though I can definitely see how, psychologically, some people can view it as a necessity. I think that when some people go for a run or pound away on the elliptical -- or whatever -- it puts them in the "weight loss" frame of mind and more conscious eating goes along with it. They don't want to "spoil" their hard work, so to speak. On the flip side, it can also make people ravenously hungry, so much so that they go off the rails and do, indeed, spoil their deficit. Also, I wonder if cardio can have someone different hormonal effects on people. (Note, I don't have any actual basis for this, it's just what I've observed and my own speculation.) Cardio often makes me less hungry -- at least temporarily. I can be relatively hungry, go for a 30 minute run on an empty stomach, and then not feel like eating for several hours. Other people have said as much too. Now, maybe this is evidence that I wasn't actually hungry, but rather bored or just wanting to eat, but I do find that some intense cardio has always gone hand in hand with keeping my eating in check.

Mathematically, of course, I know that a deficit is a deficit and how I got their shouldn't really make a difference.

To the OP, definitely don't wait to lift weights. Weight lifting will do more to shape your physique than cardio is going to. When you lose weight while lifting, you'll be losing mostly fat, and you'll reveal the slim, strong body you are probably after. When people lose weight doing only cardio, they often lose a lot of muscle and fat and end up looking just like smaller versions of the same out of shape person they were before. They might look good with clothes on, but not naked. :happy:

I do not know the answer to this question... but I do agree with the post above that losing weight with just cardio can make you look "like a smaller version of the asme out of shape person they were before". I feel this way about my weight loss and have now just started to incorporate strength training. I waited until the end of my loss, but I now feel that I should have begun strength training earlier.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Read what you wrote, eating the same diet. Therefore, the deficit created by the cardio in person A on the same diet is not present in the diet of person B, eliminating the deficit. Yes, 2 people eating the exact same foods with one doing cardio, one will lose weight and the other will not. You're completely ignoring the fact that its the calorie deficit itself that causes the weight loss, not the method in how the deficit is established.

Person A does zero cardio, has a total daily energy expenditure of 2000 calories. Person A needs to eat 1600 calories a day to cause a 20% caloric deficit to induce weight loss.

Person A now decides to do 500 calories of cardio, raising their total daily energy expenditure to 2500 calories. Person A can now eat up to 2000 calories a day and still be creating a 20% caloric deficit to induce weight loss.

Aside from the stamina and cardiovascular health, CARDIO IS A TOOL TO LET YOU EAT MORE. Strength training increases your lean body mass, which increases the amount of calories you need just to exist, thus letting you eat more.

Cardio = Immediately allows you to eat more, but the increase stops if you stop doing cardio.

Weights = Slowly allows you to eat more, but the increase fades away slowly as well.

I agreed that the original statement is true, my point was that it should not be misinterpretted to say that you can't lose any weight doing cardio. The point was that if you are not changing anything else (e.g. diet), doing cardio is better than doing nothing at all. At no point did I say that this is the best way to lose weight...clearly it's not!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if you left things out to simplify or not, but if not...you're missing huge portions of what these things do for (and to) your body...and none of them directly have to do with calories or what you can eat.

Additionally, why do you recommend only two sets with higher reps? Just curious.
  • ijustmightbecrazy
    Options

I'm not sure if you left things out to simplify or not, but if not...you're missing huge portions of what these things do for (and to) your body...and none of them directly have to do with calories or what you can eat.

Additionally, why do you recommend only two sets with higher reps? Just curious.

I was simplifying intentionally to keep the scope of the discussion on track, which was weight loss.

The reason I keep the sets low with higher reps, is to keep the scale of progression closer in line with what you can actually gain in mass over time. When you drop back down to 2 x 8 but at 10% increased weight, your 1 rep max is slightly under your 1 rep max for 2 x 12 at the previous weight. For someone who has already established a good base of strength and mass, I would have recommended something entirely different, such as muscle group by day working each muscle group out one day a week with sets/reps based on 4 x 10-12. What I put down is purely a beginner routine meant to help someone get going who has either never lifted or hasn't lifted in years.