Question for you fellas about lifting for teen boys

Options
13»

Replies

• BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with lifting weights. But if you are still not sure about it he can always do body weights. Try to get him to build up to 100 pushups and he will feel like a boss.

I know when I was in middle school and the beginning of high school I care about how many pushups and chin ups I could do because I wanted to do more than my team mates.

If you do let him lift weights, please make sure he is taught the correct form and is supervised by someone who knows something about lifting weights. Form is way more important than how much weight one can do. I wish I wouldn't been taught this at a younger age.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you want guidance on this subject, I would go to the position statements issued by the appropriate professional groups.

The National Strength and Conditioning Association, The American College of Sports Medicine, and the American Academy of Pediatrics are all in agreement that weight lifting (strength training, resistance training) is safe and effective for adolescents, according to the following guidelines:

1. Avoid maximal lifts.

2. Avoid heavy overhead lifting.

3. The younger the exerciser, the more emphasis there should be on proper lifting form and training techniques. Body weight exercises are often the best choice, but resistance machines, free weights, bands, cables, etc can all be effective as well.

4. All workouts should initially be supervised by adults who are trained in or knowledgeable about proper lifting form and appropriate training guidelines for adolescents.

5. Younger exercisers should not be allowed to engage in "lifting contents" with friends or teammates. They should also not be pushed if they show signs of excessive fatigue, poor coordination, or disinterest. That's a big cause of injuries.

6. Expectations should be realistic. A teen does not produce the hormones necessary to achieve large amounts of muscle growth. They can significantly increase muscle strength, but substantially increasing muscle size requires a more mature body.

The generalized fears expressed by some about physical or development damage caused by weight lifting in adolescence has been shown to be unfounded--if guidelines are followed. Weight training per se will not stunt growth or lead to epiphyseal fractures. The younger or less experienced the exerciser, the more emphasis there should be on functional and balance movements in order to teach greater coordination and kinesthetic awareness.