Protein Powder/Shakes...what type of powder do YOU use???

Options
knowak82
knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
I have never, ever used protein powder ever in my life, but since I'm now tracking and trying to better acheive my "macro-nutrient" goals, I notice that I've been SERIOUSLY lacking in the protein department :sad:

I want to try a good tasting, not-horribly-expensive (under $1 per serving) protein powder...I've done a teeny tiny bit of research and found one that I think I might give a go:

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Natural Vanilla/100% Whey Gold Natural Chocola

I'd like to find one that doesn't have artificial flavors/sweetners, but still tastes relatively good mixed with just water (since I might be on the go and not have a chance to mix it with anything else)...oh, yeah, and I LOVE chocolate, especially dark chocolate...

Any one else have any favorites they would recommend???

Replies

• MzFreeSpirited
    Options
    Jay Robb Egg White Protein --- has no added preservatives. 24 grams of protein and ZERO sugar :)
  • kimsimm
    kimsimm Posts: 5
    Options
    The Optimum Nutrition is a very good protein, but not the best tasting one. My advice is buy vanilla protein, and if you want to make it chocolate, add a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder. That will give you more bang for your buck. :)

My husband owns a supplement shop, so I have tried just about everything out there. The best tasting protein, by far, is the Dymatize Iso-100 line. It's a high quality protein and it doesn't have that vitamin-y aftertaste. It is a little pricey though.

Hope that helps!

:)
  • jfield6
    jfield6 Posts: 56
    Options
    I have the Jillian Michaels Triple Chocolate and it's not that great. I'm wondering if it's because its still chunky. I want to order one of those BlenderBottles to break it all up. I do NOT like it with water. I tried it with skim milk, but again, it was chunky.

I'm really interested to see what people suggest!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    The best one I've tasted is Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey in the Double Rich Chocolate flavor.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My hubby brought home some Cinch shakes, chocolate flavor. I make mine with some crushed ice, milk and a bit of peanut butter, I also use my hand held blender.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Costco's whey protein :) (Chocolate flavor, tastes really good)
  • bighouse51
    bighouse51 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Body Tech Whey from Vitamin Shoppe. All flavors are pretty good, it mixes well and tastes good. Not too expensive either.

jfield6 - Walmart has a great shaker cup with a metal mixer inside for 4 bucks, I've been through all kinds and it is one of my faves.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I like the body fortress chocolate peanut butter, 130 cals per scoop and 26 g of protein. I mixed it in my fage yogurt for breakfast with strawberries this morning and it was delicious
  • ktsurly
    ktsurly Posts: 7
    Options
    The best one I've tasted is Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey in the Double Rich Chocolate flavor.

Ditto -- I think it's really, really good. I add a little crushed ice to mine and it's like a milkshake. :)
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight so I don't need a protein powder that is overly complex. I was using Body Fortress Super Advanced Chocolate. Now I am using Cytosport Whey Protein Chocolate. I like the Cytosport a little bit better but they are both good. Again, I am not into a super complicated diet right now. Just want to get my protein with limited carbs. Carbs:Protein is 3:27.
  • kristieds
    kristieds Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been using Dr. Mercola's Miracle Whey Protein. Does anyone have an opinion on them? I think they're kinda pricey but they taste awesome (at least the choc, van, & straw do) and supposedly very clean...
  • Marine_1972
    Marine_1972 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Nectar™ - Whey Protein Isolate Crystal Sky (taste like Crystal Light) is my favorite however most Nectar Products are great tasting high Protein low Carbohydrates. Also I use Gaspari Nutrition - Myofusion Probiotic Series - Vanilla, (tastes like a vanilla milk shake). Go to your local Vitamin Shoppe and they can give you a taste of most popular protein shakes. (this way you can make your decision by YOUR taste) Hope this helped.
    Good luck
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition.
  • jfield6
    jfield6 Posts: 56
    Options
    jfield6 - Walmart has a great shaker cup with a metal mixer inside for 4 bucks, I've been through all kinds and it is one of my faves.

Great! Thanks! I don't know why I haven't thought to look there!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition. Great quality, price, and calories/protein ratio.

Syntha 6 is delicious but it's too high in calories for me. :)
  • keegannati
    keegannati Posts: 114
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey and 100% Casein are both really good. (don't waste your money on the hydro whey)
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to see the answers. I have used protein powder in smoothies, and now I put it in pancake mix before I add the liquids. This is my new favorite breakfast, if I have time to cook it. 3 or 4 protein-fortified pancakes will keep me full for over 4 hours! The calorie content is not bad, either. My entire breakfast, including coffee creamer, some sugar free syrup, 3 pancakes, and a puff of whipped cream from a can costs me about 250 calories.

I have used EAS whey protein--vanilla flavor.

I'm going to try adding it to hot cereal next, but I'm afraid the taste may be affected, so I will be checking back on this thread for suggestions!
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress in Vanilla, you can buy it at walmart and it is really low in sugar compared to some of the others (only 1g per scoop).

I also have a big tub of Biorhythm Afterglow Post Work-Out Drink in Orange Push up I bought at GNC which has 20g of protein per 2 scoops. I've been using that lately instead and I prefer it although it does have more sugar and doesn't taste very good (I've heard bazooka berry flavor is better). After I run I drink one scoop mixed with water and I really do get a euphoric feeling from it when combined with the runners high haha. It also has something in it that reduces muscle soreness. I love it!

ETA: Do NOT buy the jillian michaels protein powder it is terrible tasting! It has a very mild chocolate flavor, very bland! It also thickens up really bad and if you mix it with certain things (coconut milk is one of them) it turns into this weird pudding that you have to basically eat with a spoon it's so thick. Blech!
  • glacier81
    glacier81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    ViSalus - Body by Vi Shape Shake. Tastes like cake batter! I add everything from fruits to spinach to it and I feel amazing energy.

Low sodium, no added sugar, high fiber, only 7 carbs!
    Proprietary Tri-Sorb™ Protein blend targets fat while building lean muscle
    Prebiotics & Digestive Enzymes for balanced pH & increased absorption
    Non-GMO Soy (not genetically modified) & Isoflavone free
    Full serving of fiber curbs hunger & supports digestive health
    Diabetic friendly & promotes healthy blood sugar
    Gluten Free
  • 2BAD
    2BAD Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ive tryed a few different protiens i wood recommend a really good protien is (Dymatize ISO.100) it has no fat no cabs and no lactose
    flavour gourment berry
    the protien im useing at moment is nitro-tech hardcore pro series very good