How to tell a friend that she eats unhealthy

Options
I have this friend and she eats fast food EVERY SINGLE DAY. Now you may say this isn't my problem, but she always says things to me like, "Let's go to McDonalds!" or "You like Wendy's, right?" I really want to help her, because it's the same people that are making our world more unhealthy. At the same time, I want her to know that I am trying to be healthier and really don't want to follow her example. But I don't want to hurt her feelings.

Advice would be helpful!!!!!:smile:

Replies

• loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Is there a healthier place that you can say "Oh, I was going to go to ________. Do you want to come with me?"
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt tell her that she is unhealthy, I would just say that you are trying to be healthier, I might grab something from ..........(somewhere that has healthier options). She can either do the same or meet up and eat together. Hope it helps:happy:
  • abr25
    abr25 Posts: 179
    Options
    Sometimes try approaching it at a different angle. My friends were this way too....and since I am still in college and working my butt off for the money I have, I approached my friends with phrases like...."Well thats a lot of money to spend tonight. Lets make something at home and hang out instead!"

Worked for me, and in fact saved me money to hahah!
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Come up with a healthier option to share with her before she makes up her fast-food mind.

Suggest Subway, soup/salad combos, or that the two of you brown-bag it and have a picnic for lunch!
  • rbeglen
    rbeglen Posts: 37
    Options
    I have a friend like this. I love her to death but she eats fast food every day like three times a day. It makes me sick. She also wonders why she can't lose weight, and is always broke. But I guess thats what friends are for, we don't judge! Offer to have a day where you can cook together, is your friend into cooking tasty, but healthy foods??
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Everyone's already given my suggestions...suggest somewhere healthier, picnic it, or cook together at home...I LOVE Wendy's, and they have some really healthy options-side salads are perfect with a light dressing! You can order healthier stuff and be a good example for her (for those times you do go out to fast food places)

One thing I like to do is research nutrition content at my favorite restaurants that my friends and I frequent, and keep a list on my phone of what the healthiest things to eat/drink are (including sizes and calories) so it's always handy! Then I don't have to worry about overeating, going over on calories, etc.

Hope this helps!! :flowerforyou:
  • shellygirl
    shellygirl Posts: 36
    Options
    I've found that if that person is not asking for advice, then they may not be very receptive to it. That's not always true, but I think the majority of the time it is. I know for me, if my head isn't in the game, then my "diet" doesn't last long. So if her head isn't ready, it might just go in one ear and out the other. You can try telling your friend how you feel about her choices, but personally, I would try to lead by example. If you two are going out, try making plans beforehand of what you are going to do for lunch, or dinner, or whatever it may be. You can explain to her that you are trying to be healthy, and therefore eating healthier foods, and you would like to choose a place that has some healthy options for you. Or, if it is always fast food, maybe you could bring a sack lunch with you and she can go through the drive through (or sonic, where you both eat in the car anyway). There are some days that I can't choke down another grilled chicken sandwich! You have to make the right choices for YOU, and if she doesn't see that you are committed to that, or doesn't take you seriously, then start planning your outings in between lunch and dinner, or after dinner so that you can keep your healthy lifestyle. Hopefully, just telling her what you are doing will make her sensitive to your needs, and seeing you accomplish your goals will influence her into making some healthy changes as well. I hope this helps! and good luck! :flowerforyou:

221986.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I think that the best way to encourage her to be healthy is to be a good example. She will see you making changes and it will speak much more loudly than telling her anything. Wait for her to ask you questions about what you are doing and then go from there. Part of being that example is to let her know that you aren't eating fast food anymore, but you'd still love to meet her for lunch somewhere healthier. Make it all about you for now, and I can almost guarantee that she will come around! :wink:
  • Christin09
    Christin09 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When my friends ask me to go to those place i say "do you know how many calories that place is???" And point out something that she eats that is high in calories. I know its mean and blunt but I find that they have stopped asking me to go to those place and they actually cut back on eating there!
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    I have told so many people about this site! If she is your friend tell her about MFP. I say wow I have found this website, it is great at helping me track my exercise, calories, weight loss progress and many already to their goal people use the site to stay fit, I just had to share it with you, we could be MFP buddies! She can learn all on her own without the nudge from a friend telling her she is a crap gobbler! No intent to offend anyone! I was absolutely floored when I first came onto this site how many calories were in a Double cheese with Bacon! Who knows your friend might be looking for answers too!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Alot of my suggestions have been said, but will repeat it from my point of view.

I loved fast food, it tasted great, if someone said to me want to go for a sub.. I'd think.. hmmmm roast beef, chicken, turkey, or would i rather have a fried burger or deepfried chicken with fries. We all know which one we picked back then.

Her mind needs to want to have something healthier.
    If she doesn't know about calorie intake, help her out. We were all in the same vote, and that's why we got here. I had no clue how many calories I was actually eating on daily basis. I thought I would have 2 meals a day, that should be good.

What Christin said........Tell her, examples "You know there's over 1500 calories in a Big Mac/Large Fries and Large Coke."
    Most people here, that's their daily intake.

Find out what foods she likes. Besides burgers, and go shopping and have a bbq, a picnic.

Last, telling her about her eating, might go through one ear and out the other. If your a good friend you need to perhaps help her. Give her the confidence that the two of you together can make a difference.

As a start, when you go meet her for lunch/dinner/coffee make sure there's a 20 min walk in there afterwards.

Good luck.