I'm new, how do you stay motivated?

Options
2»

Replies

• Revenga1980
    Options
    As each day passes I try and remind myself why I am doing it and what things make me feel good everyday after doing it. For example I feel stronger now, I can breathe better and my skin looks fantastic. So I remember those things and it pushes me to keep going. On the days I find myself making excuses I do it anyway and at the end of the day I'm always happy I did
  • MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Keep coming back here....everyday and read the forums of people who have lost weight! That motivates me to no end and I love this site~ Keep coming back!

also, ONE DAY AT A TIME.....just put One foot in front of the other! YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Be kind and gentle to yourself and be your own best friend instead of your worst enemy~! And above all.........WANT THIS....want it more than anything...for yourself!

^THIS reading the success stories keeps me motivated! Feel free to friend me :)
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    Options
    I just made it a routine. I mapped out what I expected of myself everyday and infused it as part of my daily routine. I'm a creature of habit due to my OCD so it makes things a lot easier to make it part of my ritual.

Then when I did my first weigh in and realized I had lost something I felt empowered. I am feeling better from eating better and exercising and that makes me happy. I like to challenge myself and this is a GREAT way to do it.

This site helps too cause if I force myself to fill it in I won't miss a day. I also don't want to eat crap or skip work outs or days cause I have people on my friends list who would know!
  • seanwebster
    seanwebster Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've come too far to go back now.
  • regina2063
    regina2063 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    stay on MFP. it helps me out alot and also keeps me laughing
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    I think mentally of the body I want, how much I want it ( a lot) , and how long will it take me to get there. Something that has helped me is thinking before I go to eat 'just a bite of something' is that does my body really need it and will it get me any closer.

'Every bite of food you put in your body will determine how it will look like'

Stay healthy and clean :D
  • jaroyan
    jaroyan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! Like everyone else is saying, find something that drives YOU! Whether it's a photo of a gorgeous man/woman you'd like to look more like or someone you'd like to bed, or even an outfit. Logging in consistently is important and once things start changing, those numbers (calories, weight, measurements) are going to be reward enough on most days. Good luck out there!
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You came to the right place, hun.

There are TONS of people here who are ready to support you throughout your journey. For me, I've looked at a bunch of the success stories here at MFP, and it helped me to realize that I CAN become the person I want to be. I don't have to settle for the body I'm in now. I CAN SUCCEED. This was a huge deal for me.

The best advice I can give is to remember that as long as you try again, you will never fail. Promise yourself that you will always always always TRY AGAIN. And you will definitely acheive your goal. You might have bad days, but that's fine, because the next day you'll try again. As long as you stick with it, you'll succeed.

Friend me if you like, especially if you like funny/goofy blog posts and a positive attitude. :P

Good Luck!! <3
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I just decided that this is a way of life, not temporary. And as long as I stick to it. I will get to my goal. 1 year 4 months and 115 pounds down!
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Great MFP'ers to help me stay motivated, keeping clean food in my home, having a routine and sticking with it, rituals (like if I am on the treadmill I have to stay for at least 3 miles. Use to be one mile, then two, now three), staying away from negativity (makes me stressed and want to eat or drink over my alloted calories), doing excersises you find fun, getting your friends and family involved so you are not alone and buying a pair of shorts or whatever in the size you want to end up being in and looking at them everytime you feel like not working out or what not. GOOD LUCK, you can do it! Feel free to add me as a friend =)
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    -Watch youtube body transformation videos
    -Read success stories on this website
    -Look at celebs and friends who are skinny for inspiration
    -Get a work out buddy
    -Get a gym membership, you will not want to under work your body in front of others.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I do some of the challenges that are posted. Here is the link for the 3500+ calories burned. You can do less than 3500 calories but it is a great weekly challenge. I do it EVERY WEEK as it keeps me focused on my workout goals. ENJOY! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/571657-3-500-calories-burned-challenge-4-23-4-29?hl=3,500++Calories+Burned+Challenge&amp;page=1#posts-8104338
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Stay with MFP, set realistic and achievable goals, learn all you can and know that losing weight is only part of the process.

What you want will change over time as your body changes, so don't get bogged down with long term goals.

On a cautionary note, most of what you read in the forums is rubbish, so take everything with a pinch of salt - though not literally, as you need to keep sodium under control :laugh:
  • kataan3
    kataan3 Posts: 1
    Options
    Top 6 things I do:

1. Remind yourself everyday of Why you are doing this.
    2. Review your Goals every day. If you don;t have writeen down goals, do it.
    3. Your workout time is sacred. It is like brushing your teeth.
    4. Keep workouts interesting and change up your routing from time to time.
    5. Be, patient with yourself as you work through plateaus and the curve balls life will throw at you. Also be honest with yourself.
    6. Remember it is not a race. It is a lifelong change, a process. Building new habbits an keeping them takes time.
  • gussie1026
    gussie1026 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who are telling you to keep coming back to the forums and reading about others' success. It really helps me stay motivated.
  • JamesOfLondon
    JamesOfLondon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I heard once (when someone was commenting that they just couldn't stay motivated) that being motivated was like being clean.

You have to shower/bath every day.

Solid point.

A hot bath should raise your heart rate by maybe 15 to 20 percent, resulting in increased calories burn.

I think the U.S. military did some research on this at one point.
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Forget about perfection! "If you think in all-or-nothing terms — that you've blown your diet simply because you've overdone it at one meal — you’ll drive yours crazy. Even if you feel like you’ve fallen off the wagon, just take your next meal as an opportunity to get back on
  • orangetomato
    Options
    As several others have said, it's not a 'diet' it's a 'lifestyle change.' If you think that you can diet for a few months / year and then go back to how you ate and lived before, the unpleasant surprise is that your body will also go back to how it was (I yo-yo'd for years before realizing it, and keeping that last 15 off for about a year now)...which means the changes you make shouldn't be torture, but should be enjoyable positive changes that can last! :) Those changes keep me going.

If you keep that in mind, it's easier. Here are some examples:
    - Instead of depriving yourself of the foods you like, cut down the portion sizes. I.e. have extra vegetables with dinner, but still have a small piece of your favorite fried chicken.
    - Enjoy a healthy lunch of broth soup and salad (light on dressing!) and a dinner of broccoli and chicken, and then enjoy a small serving of ice cream.
    - Instead of committing to an unreasonable amount of exercise every day (I'm going to burn 800 calories so I can eat more!), commit to something that you enjoy, like a bike ride, or a walk with the dog, and do something every day.
    - Come to MFP every day and log every bite! When you have a bad day and eat 18 caramel Hershey Kisses, put it in the MFP log. Seeing the number of calories and fat eaten will also be a motivator! But don't beat yourself up. Learn from the mistakes.
    - Reward yourself (not with food) for all the good things you do, and before you know it you'll be 5 pounds lighter. And then 15.
    - Negative talk isn't healthy. If you eat those kisses and then berate yourself, all you'll do is eat more! Instead, say to yourself "Oops, well, that was a mistake, but I ate lots of vegetables today so it isn't a wasted day."

I love feeling healthy. When I exercise, I feel more energetic for the rest of the day. When I eat healthy foods, my digestive system feels happier. When I am hydrated, my skin is nicer. AND THEN...when these acts add up so that my jeans are looser, it's amazing!

It's a lifestyle - embrace it and the motivation will be there too! Good luck! :)

(Whoops, that was rambling, sorry!) :)
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend for a start :-P

I found that all the little victories keep me motivated, staying under calories, having a workout you are proud, having to use that smaller hole on your belt.