Butternut Squash...

Options
jenna25
jenna25 Posts: 213 Member
What do i do with it? I love squash and have had really yummy butternut squash in my salads before... any low cal yummy recipes?

Replies

• abradley114
    abradley114 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    just steam it and eat very yummy
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    i caramelise mine..... i cut it into cubes, toss it in a bowl with a tablespoon of light brown sugar and a few spray of oil (the 1 cal per spray stuff, just enough to stick the sugar to the squash) then i roast it in the oven for about 30 mins til the squash is soft and the sugar is caramelised !!

its one of my fave things at the moment !! x
  • cjosenga
    cjosenga Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe a nutrition educator shared with me:
    1 butternut squash about 1 ½ pounds
    3 tablespoons softened butter
    1 tablespoon maple syrup
    ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
    Peel and dice squash. Cook in a small amount of water with about ¾ tsp. salt added until tender. Drain. Whip until smooth. Add remaining ingredients, stirring well. Sprinkle with additional nutmeg before serving.
  • heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just roast it in the oven with some pepper and a pinch of cinnamon. Or if I buy those pre-cut trays of it, I microwave them until they're soft. If you don't eat much processed sweets or sugar it tastes yummy just like this.

OR you can make this butternut squash/spinach/carmelized onion lasagna that I've been too lazy to get around to making.
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/butternut-squash-lasagna-50400000116791/
  • jenna25
    jenna25 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i caramelise mine..... i cut it into cubes, toss it in a bowl with a tablespoon of light brown sugar and a few spray of oil (the 1 cal per spray stuff, just enough to stick the sugar to the squash) then i roast it in the oven for about 30 mins til the squash is soft and the sugar is caramelised !!

sounds sooooooo good! deff. going to try this! thank you!
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just quarter it, and place it (cavity down) in a microwave safe dish in 1-2" of water. Microwave it for about 6-8 minutes, until it is soft when poked with a fork. Turn it over and add seasoning to the cavity. I prefer a little butter, cinnimon and brown sugar (it doesn't need much). Microwave for another minute. I usually just mix up the seasoning and the liquid and scoop out to serve. My children love this as a side. It also works for any another similar squash, like acorn or spaghetti.
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    oooh bump! (I want to buy but I don't know what to do with it!!)
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I just cut one in half-take out seeds- put it on a shallow baking pan (squash side down) bake at 400 for 30 min or so....carve the squash to get the "meat" of the squash out and then either mash and or cut up and add a bit of brown sugar or butter for taste...so good and can be super low fat!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I made some delicious butternut squash tacos. I used my technique for refried beans but subsituted cooked squash for the beans and it turned out really well. Someone on MFP had requested the recipe at that time, so I think I have it typed up somewhere if you'd like me to find it.
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options

sounds sooooooo good! deff. going to try this! thank you!

yeh try it !! i get all my recipes from www.food.com free to join and its really easy to use x
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hmm I use butternut squash a lot I roast it, put it in a veggie curry and make soup with it.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I made a simple little bowl of sauteed squash with spinach last week, fry the squash a little while and then add the other ingredients to soften and wilt. For these quantities only 212 cals x

Tesco - Fresh Leaf Spinach, 0.5 container (260 gs ea.)
    Tesco Organic - Butternut Squash, 232.0 g
    Generic - Uk Fresh Tomatoes 100 g
    Generic - Uk Garlic 10 g
    Shaz - Olive oil drizzle, 20 ml
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Oh, one more thing-- there's a butternut squash and chickpea salad from the book Casa Moro that's insanely good:
    http://orangette.blogspot.com/2007/10/sneaky-sneaky.html

If you want to do a lower-fat version of the dressing you can make it with nonfat yogurt instead of tahini.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    roasted, with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of smoked paprika. if you roast the seeds they're incredibly tasty too.
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Just microwave it with brown sugar, butter, and nutmeg. Yum.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump..need some ways to eat it !
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I do this ^^ as well, except I skip the sugar because it's already so sweet. I toss with olive oil, black pepper and a little garlic powder and roast until the natural sugars caramelize. It works well on the grill as well.

It also makes a really good soup. Chop and toss in olive oil, then season with fresh thyme. Chop the top off a garlic bulb, top with olive oil and wrap in foil. Roast both the squash and garlic in the oven until softened, then add both to a pan with vegetable stock until soft enough to puree. I use an immersion blender to blend into a thick soup.

ETA: It's also really good stewed with pork tenderloin and root vegetables such as turnip, parsnips, carrots, rutubaga, etc.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I make an AMAZING Butternut Squash Lasagna with a Sage infused Bechamel sauce. I'm currently re-working the recipe to make it to lower the calories, but it's killer.
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I cut it up into fries and bake it with some cooking spray and it tastes like sweet potato fries.