Replacing the belly with abs

Options
My only fat is around the mid section/stomach area and I can't seem to shift it !

I've read that everyone has abs, but if there is a layer of fat over them your not going to see them.

I have tried lowering calorie intake, doing cardio and weight training (not just abs, but the whole upper body) but I am just getting frustrated that I not seing any progress. I've lost about 9kg, but my mid section has stayed exactly the same since starting

Can anyone help? Anyone managed to get rid of their belly and how?

Thanks

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    My only fat is around the mid section/stomach area and I can't seem to shift it !

I've read that everyone has abs, but if there is a layer of fat over them your not going to see them.

I have tried lowering calorie intake, doing cardio and weight training (not just abs, but the whole upper body) but I am just getting frustrated that I not seing any progress. I've lost about 9kg, but my mid section has stayed exactly the same since starting

Thanks

Abs are made in the kitchen.
    Get your body fat down.
  • anarod0513
    anarod0513 Posts: 119
    Options

Thanks

Very true, watch what you eat

Get your body fat down.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It takes reduced body fat to see them, to achieve the lower BF% you just need:
    a slight caloric deficit (0.5lbs/week loss rate or 10-15% under TDEE, depending on your set up,
    a high protein diet (to ensure you don't lose muscle_,
    heavy lifting strength training program that focuses on Compound lifts (Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, rows etc) (ensure you don't lose muscle, and
    time.

Your deficit can be from diet alone or a combination of diet and exercise (no cardio necessary, but can be incorporated)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Thanks

Get your body fat down.

And lift heavy to maintain or increase muscle mass.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. I do circuit training with a focus on core, and I'm at 1240 calories a day. Still can't get rid of the belly fat.
  • mrmanmeat
    Options

Thanks

Get your body fat down.

Eh, not exactly. To have bulging abs, prolly. But to just have abs, I know plenty of weak people with abs that don't work out except maybe once every few weeks.
  • mrmanmeat
    Options
    Same problem here. I do circuit training with a focus on core, and I'm at 1240 calories a day. Still can't get rid of the belly fat.

Eat more. Weigh less. Get body fat down.
  • zomoro56
    zomoro56 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'd say maybe try throwing in some H.I.I.T(high intensity interval training)cardio, its designed to maximize fat loss.
  • erickirb
    Options

Eat more, lift heavier.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing that you'll see every other part of your body improve before your stomach will. It took a long time for that fat to settle there and it will take just as long to get it off. Just keep eating well and working out, it will burn the fat. Do lunges, squats, and crunches. It WILL improve.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

omg, eat a lot more. like, 1600. and lift. use those legs. dead lifts and squats are your friends.
  • erickirb
    Options

Thanks

Get your body fat down.

Eh, not exactly. To have bulging abs, prolly. But to just have abs, I know plenty of weak people with abs that don't work out except maybe once every few weeks.

I think he was pointing out that you don't want to lose lean muscle as you lose the fat and this is how you retain said muscle
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and the 100 pushups training program is working for me, starting to get bumpy bits around the mid section, lost my belly. And I'm 51. Google 100 pushups training program, it's free. Print out the reference card it makes it easier to track, ( it did for me). Good luck.

Better bodies are built in the kitchen.
    :D
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I think abs become more of a result of your long-term efforts. Meaning, you can tone, look great, be active, and really look good all the way around, but the abs is like that final thing to conquer. And, I haven't gotten there yet. You can look at my profile pic, I've got it all around, but I can't get the middle part. It's strong and defined under there, but I just can't get the little bit of fat to go away. My theory is that you have to continue to modify. Whatever got you to this point, you have to further refine and keep working. I think if you stay consistent and stick to it, it will eventually come off. But, until I actually do it, I can't really say. My goal is by this summer, so we'll see if I'm right or not.