Eat What You Want And Still Loose Weight

Options
13»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Whether I'm gaining or losing I always eat what I want, as does everyone who is not force fed. I eat mostly healthy foods because I want to be healthy.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    YES! but I noticed that (hahaha since it is a liftstyle change) I noticed my food changed. I went from eating less and bad food to eating more and healthier food. Guess it did what it was suppose to do :wink:
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    i eat what i want in moderation and in my calories .. however i do eat at home more so i can make the same foods just healthier and i am trying to get in more veggies etc
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much what I want... but it might be better to say I don't eat what I don't want. I'm not going to force down something I don't like just because it's good for me. So everything I eat is something delicious and enjoyable.

I'll also put in a lot of effort to make sure I burn enough calories that something like pepperoni pizza or a bacon cheeseburger fits in my calories.

And there's substitutes, like instead of a regular candy bar, I'll have a protein bar that tastes just as good, but for the same amount of calories as, say... a 3 Musketeers, I'll get 15g of protein.
    THIS. Exactly, this.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want (including eating out/ fast food) and I still lose weight. I just try to stay under my calorie goal and on days where I know I may go over, I try to work out a little harder. I admire the people who eat clean, but my husband is not doing this with me and sometimes, I have to make arrangements for him and what he likes (he's picky). Plus, I'm of the mindset (because I know myself and how I work) that if deprive myself too much too often, I have a tendency to binge. And I don't mean like 500 calories over binge, I mean like 1500 calories over binge.

No thanks. I'd rather have a little bit of something than too much of a good thing. It may slow me down or make me lose weight differently, but I'm satisfied and not feeling like this is torture. On top of that, if this is supposed to be a lifestyle change, not just a diet, why would I deprive myself of something I love and would never be able to eat again? I'd rather learn about better portions, than deprivation.

This is exactly me! :smile: Only thing I'd add is that I don't even worry if I go over my calories now and then because those are usually special occassions. Once every month or two, if I'm out with hubby or my girlfriends, I'll go ahead and try that yummy sounding dish or drink and not feel guilty about it one bit. This is how I see my slimmer friends lead their lives and I truly believe it works. Be good 90% of the time and don't worry too much about the other 10%.
  • LadyofLight08
    LadyofLight08 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have one cheat day where I do all that, but it small portions.
  • Melyssaks
    Melyssaks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that is pretty much what I do. Though I have found that being more conscious of my food often leads to healthier food choices, I am by no means a purist and a fair amount of "junk food" makes it into my diet. I lose weight with no problems at all.

Great point! I don't have any food I completely refuse but I do find that I will eat a healthy/ low calorie breakfast & lunch so that I can eat that Taco Bell or chocolate bar at night. Once you're more weight conscience you often choose healthier options. Also, it's impossible to stay under calorie goals if you eat truly "whatever you want".

I see nothing wrong with rewarding yourself with junk food if you've done a good job with calories & exercise the rest of the day :)
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I believe so BUT with the proviso that I watch my sodium and sugar intake as I find that high-socium days cause me to gain weight (fluid retention?) and too much sugar causes me to crave more sugar

As far as sugar goes, I prefer to limit myself as far as added sugar goes, to stabilise my blood sugar (I am not diabetic) as it is the higher sugar days that release my craving/binging.

I also avoid 'white; foods such as white bread, buns, pie crusts, and white rice (which I do have now and again).

Other than this I eat what I like but not foods high in fat.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yes, for the most part.

It depends on your goal. For some, you might have to cut fat and watch the carbs in order to get where you want to be. So, it's a little more than just watching calories. But, if you just watch calories, you will lose weight to a certain point.

Not true. There is a recent study where they put three different groups on three different levels of macros (I forget the exact percentages) and the same calorie deficit. All three groups had the same results. You can play with your macros all you want. They might help your energy levels or help not be so hungry, but they don't make a difference in your weight loss.

Cite it. I don't believe it. If I ate 1800 calories of twinkies daily, I would have a different result than eating wholesome food. I believe that pretty passionately. Id have to see the study, who conducted it, where, who were the participants and the results and conclusions.

You so took what I said out of context. You said you needed to watch your carbs and fat. I said that wasn't true and you went and put words in my mouth. Thanks for that.

Since you can't google it yourself, I'll do it for you.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0804748
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

Great point! I don't have any food I completely refuse but I do find that I will eat a healthy/ low calorie breakfast & lunch so that I can eat that Taco Bell or chocolate bar at night. Once you're more weight conscience you often choose healthier options. Also, it's impossible to stay under calorie goals if you eat truly "whatever you want".

I see nothing wrong with rewarding yourself with junk food if you've done a good job with calories & exercise the rest of the day :)

that's not true...everything i eat now, i ate before i started my "lifestyle change" - i really haven't changed anything. I have always abstained from eating: Fried/Greasy Foods, Meat, Fish, Poultry, Dairy, Eggs, Pizza, Chips, Tacos/Burritos, Mcdonalds... etc.

The only thing i've cut out almost 100% is my 1 snapple a day, because I would rather eat my calories than drink them. Not everyone who has weight issues stuffs themselves with fried food and pizza and mcdonalds - some people have health issues that make weightloss a major challenge. I have 2 that I was born with, and it truly is a battle.
  • jcperkns
    jcperkns Posts: 109
    Options
    I do a little of both. During the week I try to eat as clean as possible (lots of fruits, veggies, and lean proteins). As far a bread/pasta goes, I will only eat whole grain and no soft drinks EVER, including diet. I much prefer to eat my calories and the sugar count is awful (and the aspartame in diet sodas is no good for you either). I do this so that during the weekends I can have some leniency. If I go out to eat I won't feel bad about having buffalo wings, as long as I don't go crazy and eat like 20, for example.

Basically I feel like moderation is the key. If you completely deprive yourself of foods you love you will eventually binge and then feel bad about it. Having one scoop of ice cream a couple of times a week isn't going to kill your progress. But if you have four scoops everyday, that will.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Yes, for the most part.

It depends on your goal. For some, you might have to cut fat and watch the carbs in order to get where you want to be. So, it's a little more than just watching calories. But, if you just watch calories, you will lose weight to a certain point.

Not true. There is a recent study where they put three different groups on three different levels of macros (I forget the exact percentages) and the same calorie deficit. All three groups had the same results. You can play with your macros all you want. They might help your energy levels or help not be so hungry, but they don't make a difference in your weight loss.

Cite it. I don't believe it. If I ate 1800 calories of twinkies daily, I would have a different result than eating wholesome food. I believe that pretty passionately. Id have to see the study, who conducted it, where, who were the participants and the results and conclusions.

You so took what I said out of context. You said you needed to watch your carbs and fat. I said that wasn't true and you went and put words in my mouth. Thanks for that.

Since you can't google it yourself, I'll do it for you.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0804748

Interesting. Thanks.
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    I eat what I want but what I want to eat has changed drastically in the last few years. Gone are the days of craving cheeseburgers and deep fried cauliflower. Now what I want are chicken sandwiches or a salad. I have evolved a little tiny bit.

I've definitely lost my taste for a lot of food I used to eat. Most are just way too salty or too sweet now. I do miss some stuff, but I'm finding new and better options that fulfilling new cravings every day.