Not hungry, just wanting to eat

Options
I feel like I have done everything I have read and know about to help with satiety. From eating enough protein and fiber, to getting in 2 tsp of a healthy oil, to eating a few almonds, walnuts, etc., to drinking water, but I still WANT to eat and think about eating all the time. I truly believe I am an addict when it comes to food. I have gained 15 above my goal weight and it keeps rising. It is ridiculously ridiculous! I would actually take a drug to suppress the want to eat if I could find one without caffeine and one that wouldn't harm my body (when I am willing to do this, it's evident that I am desperate). Does anyone have any suggestions that hopefully I don't know about that will help me???

Replies

• teekee2
    teekee2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    have you tried chewing gum? I find that if I chew gum it tends to curb the cravings.
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    Fruits. Lots of fruit. Not dehydrated either, just your run-of-the-mill fruit. I eat fruit as often as I can, and if I manage to get two of my meals as fruit I won't feel hungry at all and I won't want to eat any more. Yet caloric intake from this is still REALLY low.
  • ieva015
    ieva015 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i get this all the time :/ im certain im addicted to food. i think about it 24/7!
  • PreacherRam
    Options
    Look for an Overeaters Anonymous group in your area. I am attending and finding strength.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I read the book 'How to eat what you love and love what you eat' and the main message that I got from it was to answer 'Why am I eating' before I put anything in my mouth. I learned that I eat because I'm bored, stressed, sad or any number of emotional reasons. Once I learned to ask myself 'why do you want to eat' before I ate anything and if my answer was anything other than 'hunger' then I would find something else to take care of whatever I actually needed.

If you are truly hungry, then by all means eat some healthy snacks! Also try drinking lots and lots of water. Sometimes if I think I'm hungry, I drink a big glass of cold water and realize I was more thirsty than hungry.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I love food too! I added more fruit ,complex carbs to my diet ( whole wheat bread) and low fat or non fat yogurt... All have really helped me.. oh... and I eat Breakfast, a mid morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack, supper and a late night snack...I eat about every 3 hours... my diary is open if you want to check it out... I stay under my calorie intact and still very satisfied!
  • mellymink
    mellymink Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    When I feel this way (which is often), I try to step back and think "Am I really hungry?" Usually, the answer is no. I do things like remove myself from the kitchen area to another part of the house, go for a walk, find something to do to take my mind off of food, brush my teeth to signal I'm done eating, or just plain old going to bed. Some days it's harder than others, and I'm still looking for ideas myself. Hope these help!! :)
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This is my major problem, and I've found that distracting myself is the only way to avoid it, because no amount of eating will make it stop! I take a bath, go for a jog or do something else that I need to concentrate on.

Not much use, but hope it helps a little!
  • mlang1955
    mlang1955 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking 8 8oz cups of water daily? Are you bored and therefore eating vice staying active?

If you open up your diary maybe we can see some potential problem areas or places to assist.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I read the book 'How to eat what you love and love what you eat' and the main message that I got from it was to answer 'Why am I eating' before I put anything in my mouth. I learned that I eat because I'm bored, stressed, sad or any number of emotional reasons. Once I learned to ask myself 'why do you want to eat' before I ate anything and if my answer was anything other than 'hunger' then I would find something else to take care of whatever I actually needed.

If you are truly hungry, then by all means eat some healthy snacks! Also try drinking lots and lots of water. Sometimes if I think I'm hungry, I drink a big glass of cold water and realize I was more thirsty than hungry.

I like this one too... if I am hungry when its not time to eat, I ask my self if I am truely hungry, more often than not, I am not! But, i have also learned, if you are truely hungry... eat something! Your body needs fuel to go...and you may not be eating enough!
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    When I "think" I want to nibble all day I put my hands to use~ this way they are too busy to pick up food to put in my mouth...LOL. I also try to go and do some form of exercise when I feel the urge to "splurge". I always think I need to be chewing someting too, so I would suggest also to try chewing gum! Heck, I'm gonna give it a whirl..... :smile:
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    have you tried chewing gum? I find that if I chew gum it tends to curb the cravings.

I agree!!! When I know I have eaten enough and can still feel like I could keep eating....get my munchies on.....I chew gum! It helps out alot. Good Luck.
  • jmilano
    jmilano Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That is something I struggle with also, but I am trying to stop first and grab a handful of sunflower seeds or drink a glass of ice water and then rethink. It's almost like you have to be subconsiouly talking to your inner self! :flowerforyou: you can do it!!
  • feefee34
    feefee34 Posts: 3
    Options
    My tip: Let yourself get a bit hungry and then when you eat you will feel satisfied. Just try it for one day and see if it works.

If you eat when you are not hungry then no matter how much you eat you do not feel satisfied, and you can eat and eat and eat!

I struggle with this all the time...as soon as I start eating when I'm not hungry then I lose control of food and find it really hard to get back to eating normally. Once I start listening to my body and only eat when I'm hungry then my food cravings stop and I feel in control and I stop thinking about food all of the time!

I am currently in a 'thinking about food all the time' mentality so I will take my own advice and wait until I am hungry before eating again and try and get the control back.

Good luck!!
  • luckygirl5918
    luckygirl5918 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You're certainly not alone...for me that time comes - well once a month but I'm afraid its more then enough to sabotage my weight loss goals.

So I have some ideas...I'm arming myself before it happens and I can share with you. I used to tell my clients this and it worked when I was in the weight loss industry.

Maybe snack alot - you can snack on jello or carrot sticks and hummus or a little bit of low fat dressing.. -it helps me to have snacks pre-cut and prepared int he fridge in a baggie so I can just pul them out.

Its getting warm so I like to freeze healthy yogurt to make a nice cold treat.

Whats also yummy to me ithough it may not sound so - try it ! - cut up a slice of bread - rye bread or something within your carbs for the day and put dressing - salad dressing on it and bake in the oven like its an Hors d'oeuvre...really yummy -you can experiment with dressings...

! I always like to have tea or warm water about twenty minutes before eating too....I'm much more full and it helps digestion.

Choose low sugar fruits to munch on too - someone already suggeste that though. Ooh you no what else is good - frozen grapes. http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/GrapeFreeze.htm Thats just an article about freezing grapes for a nice treat. Its good!

You can even make your own trail mix - nuts are really good - protein and a healthy snack. Save some calories for later by putting salsa on your potato instead of butter.

I don't know...I hope some of these ideas help.....I have the opposite problem - my weight hasn't budged and my medication and my RA suppress my appetite so last week i started this and started eating more often and - more and i lost seven lbs..but still below my calorie goal - but more then before....but now my period is coming and thats when food starts finally to taste good. lol. So have to watch out for those days. I also start to crave something besides water...like lemonade or fruit juice but way to my sugar etc! My husband who knows I'm trying to lose weight...and trying to eat gluten free to see if it helps with inflammation and fatigue etc...went shopping after I did and bought my downfalls - sausage stuffed tortellin - so yummy - its like way more then one serving but I can easily eat all and he brought more then one -I'm the only one who eats those! so its for me and ice cream...and ....etc Wish me luck lol
  • gades772
    gades772 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have the same problem and I have realized I tend to eat when I am bored or just want to keep my mind away from something else. My trick is to have several healthy snacks during the day. Anything from fruit, to veggies or a frozen fruit bar.

I also try not to buy anything that will sabotage my efforts for loosing the weight, but this is sometimes difficult as my partner loves sweets and he always tries to have something sweet around the house.

Just do not deprive yourself from eating!

Find things that you like and that are low in calories and fat, in this way you will feel ok when you eat them and little by little you will find yourself thinking about something else :)
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    If you're right about this and it's in your head, you need to address the source. Write about it in a journal. Explore what's going on in your mind when you want to eat. I worked through a great workbook awhile back that's great for this. Called "If I'm So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight?" It's great for attacking these kinds of issues. i highly recommend it.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Steamed broccoli, apples, chobani yougurt and water...those are my go to's when I want to eat just to eat. Or you could pick up smoking. J/K :smokin:
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free gum, and decaf coffee. Making coffee or tea is bonus for me because then I get the feeling like I have actually prepared food, not just opened a package and eaten it. That really makes a difference to me.

Now that I think about it, actually, I think the preparation is really important as far as eating and feeling satisfied. I made tacos for dinner last night and was practically full before I started eating.
  • luckygirl5918
    luckygirl5918 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    looks like you got the nuts thing in lol..what if you made a trail mix with just a few little pieces of chocolate - and I'm all for gum....my little one is such a picky eater but he adores a lot of carbs - as long as they're plain - so I hand him a snack and pop in some gum - everyone who mentioned sugar free gum is a genius!