past stretch marks + weight loss = no stretch marks?

alisha11
alisha11 Posts: 41 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Yea that's my basic question I have quite a few stretch marks, sadly I can't even use having children as an excuse...but I'm curious will they fade or go away after I start losing weight?

Replies

• FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Stretch marks fade but they don't "go away."
    This came up a lot in my health classes.
    Even weight loss won't make them disappear.
    There are some who opt for surgery to remove/reduce the appearance of some marks.
  • rkwestfall
    rkwestfall Posts: 37 Member
    Yea that's my basic question I have quite a few stretch marks, sadly I can't even use having children as an excuse...but I'm curious will they fade or go away after I start losing weight?

Alisha,

Im am sorry to infom you that they do not go away...:sad:

But if they are new and still red then....in time they will fade to a white or reg skin color, but are still visible...

Im in the same boat as you and I havnt had children or been overweight, so you dont need to feel like you are the odd one out:happy:
    There are many women who have them...but at least they dont stay red forever.
  • alisha11
    hmm thats a shame, so the creams and different products out there don't work either I take it?
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    hmm thats a shame, so the creams and different products out there don't work either I take it?

If they did, no one would have stretch marks.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Yeah don't feel bad cause I began to get them in high school before I even had my son.The thing about it I weighted no more than 120 pounds&they were on the sides of my lower back.They come out of no where!!!Please don't feel bad most women have them.I know of men that get them to!!!
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    The reason that creams for stretch marks (to treat or prevent) are all but useless is that stretch marks are literally tears in the dermal layer of the skin. The layer under the uppermost layer, that is. Taking an omega-3 supplement can help improve skin's overall elasticity and health but stretch marks are largely genetic and without surgery they just don't go away. But as PP's have said, many if not most women (and men) have them and many people get stretch marks without every being overweight or having had children.
    There's a point at which we need to stop our obsession over photoshop-assisted human "form" and accept our human nature... when most people on earth have a particular trait, I say said trait should go in the "it is what it is" category :wink: :laugh:

And no matter what, a healthy fit body with stretch marks is better than an unfit flabby body with stretch marks any day! :bigsmile:
  • alisha11
    well this is a little past due but thank you PedalHound for shedding some light on the topic! :flowerforyou:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    I have them on the back of my knees and on my breasts simply because I grew to fast. :grumble:
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    They never go away :(
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Yeah, a lot of them come from growing, I was really underweight at one point as a child due to illness and then I hit a growth spurt and my skin couldn't catch up. Happens to a lot of folks. But like most scars they fade over time.
  • I read cocoa butter lotion would help
This discussion has been closed.