Smoothie suggestions

Options
bearxfoo
bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
I love making smoothies, especially in the morning - it's a great way to get a good fill of fruits and veggies.

The only problem I have is that I'm constantly going over my "sugar" because of it. I know that fruit-based sugars is different than say, high-fructose corn syrup, but in general I'd like to stay under my sugars, and the binder I use for my smoothie, yogurt, is usually the issue.

Any suggestions on a different binder than is maybe better? I've also thrown in some soy milk but I'm afraid of my smoothie being too watery and not... smoothie like, lol. It seems that even soy yogurt is loaded with sugar, so I'm at a loss!

Replies

• jukemaster
    jukemaster Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Skip a binder. Unless you're drinking your smoothie at an incredibly slow rate and in a cup that you can't shake, you don't need it. If you drink slow, get a blender bottle and you'll always be able to keep it well mixed. Just change your water levels to get your desired thickness. You can also freeze some of your fruits beforehand to make the shake thick. I usually keep a ton of frozen raspberries and blueberries on hand for that very purpose.

Another option is to cook some plain instant oats int he microwave with some water and blend that into your shake. This, of course, only works if you can take the carbs and the processed grains in your diet. I used to do this as part of breakfast, but I've trimmed down a lot of my grain intake at this point.

If you really need a binder, a great option is powdered egg whites--you'll get a ton of protein and no sugar and almost no carbs. To some folks, powdered egg whites sound a little yucky, but I swear it's not gross at all. You don't really even know they are present. Just mix the powdered whites with a tiny bit of water in the blender for a little bit, then add your fruit and more water and blend to the desired consistency. This works amazingly well.

For the protein, check out Rose Acre Farms' product at http://www.sportprotein.com/. The price isn't bad compared to other protein powders and there's no fat or sugar.
  • bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll try this :)