Is there such a thing as "too much fiber"?

Options
BMcC9
BMcC9 Posts: 4,380 Member
I am often over on my "Fiber alotment" before I run out of minimum calories for the day. Most of it is coming from fruit and veg, sweet potato instead of white potato, ww bread instead of white, and the occasional high-fiber Ryvia crisp bread or high fiber cereal.

Is this supposed to be a problem?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If you're not having any digestive issues, it's fine.
  • BeckyProctor
    BeckyProctor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I always go over! Fiber is a good thing. Just make sure that you are drinking plenty of water to help move it through your system.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Unless you're constipated, or have the runs, nope. No such thing. I'm trying to always be over on fiber. Not easy to do when I can't eat many grains!
  • alli4350
    alli4350 Posts: 38
    Options
    You'll know when you have too much fiber. My stomach hurts when I have too much.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I am often over on my "Fiber alotment" before I run out of minimum calories for the day. Most of it is coming from fruit and veg, sweet potato instead of white potato, ww bread instead of white, and the occasional high-fiber Ryvia crisp bread or high fiber cereal.

Is this supposed to be a problem?

Fiber isn't like sodium or something similar that, if taken in larger-than-recommended dosages, can really hurt you. Besides, keep in mind that the "fiber alotment" that you're referring to is just a recommendation. It's not an OMG-if-I-go-over-that-number-I'm-really-in-trouble kind of thing. :smile:
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    The fiber total is a minimum, not a maximum. You want to go over that number.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    yes if you dont drink enough water. I've been there and done that and if you can forgive the TMI... can you say anal fissure? No joke, hurts like a mother..... like crapping razor blades. All from too much fiber and not enought H20. this was years ago but I'll never do that again...
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. At least not natural fiber--if it's coming from fruit, veggies, beans, grains, etc. If you're getting it from fiber one bars, low-fat foods, etc. then, probably yes.

As for MFP's level, it's too low. My understanding is that we should get 25-30 grams daily (start out slowly and work your way up to this). MFP has it set too low, so don't worry about going over.

It keeps you full and binds to fat to block absorbtion.
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Beavers don't seem to have an issue with too much fiber. But I stick to what the MFP nutrition model goal is for me.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    one night when i was dating my wife years ago, she had a bowl of dried apricots dipped in chocolate on the table. I didnt think much of it so I ate 6 or 8..... oh GOD..... I paid for that the next morning... real DUH moment.....
  • leahnoelle31
    leahnoelle31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Usually no...unless you are currently experiencing The Curse of the Chickpeas. That was a rough 3 days, let me tell ya...:noway:
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I almost always go over on both fiber and protein. I actually don't mind seeing those red numbers :tongue:
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My goal is 25-30g a day. How much are you getting?
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    My goal is also 25-30 grams a day. I used to have issues with digestion because I did not consume enough fiber..

Lots of fiber is a super good thing!
  • bxtr87
    bxtr87 Posts: 17
    Options
    FARTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!! Sorry, couldn't resist!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BMcC9
    Options
    My goal is 25-30g a day. How much are you getting?

MFP default setting of 14 gm
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Technically, yes you can have too much fiber. You won't get there by accident or from eating a couple sandwiches and nuts. Unless you're downing five pound bags of lentils- you're most likely ok.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    luck you, with a strong stomach
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!. I have upped the default to 20 gm for now (about lower end of what I was eating anyway) and will do my best do drink all the water I am supposed to.

Meow!