Natural Sugar vs. Refined Sugar

2»

Replies

• Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    meh.
  • This is in reference to the comment regarding all sugar being processed the same. I believe it is an inaccurate statement based on the below listed link.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/body-process-fruit-sugars-same-way-refined-sugar-8174.html
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    This is in reference to the comment regarding all sugar being processed the same. I believe it is an inaccurate statement based on the below listed link.

the link makes assertions without backing them up, the glucose and fructose from a sucrose molecule grown in sugar cane or sugar beet is the same as that from the sucrose in an orange or other fruit, or the glucose and fructose in fruits.

So if you have an issue with say fructose and its mechanics in the body, then that applies to fructose whatever the vehicle, to quote Lustig. We seldom encounter fructose on its own, or indeed sugar, so one should look at meals rather than molecules.

Fruit comes with some fibre and a few vitamins but broccoli etc have a lot more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017237-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-faq
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    I had the same question and asked my nurse/nutritionist. Here is what she told me about sugar:
    ~~~
    While on the topic of sugar, TERRIFIC questions about natural sugars from fruit. Fruit does affect blood sugar in the same way as added sugars (sugar is sugar is sugar). However, the difference is that fruit also contains fiber and vitamins/minerals/antioxidants--all of which benefit your body and the fiber can help slow the release of the sugar directly in to your bloodstream. We like to suggest pairing fruit with lean proteins (nuts, low-fat plain yogurts, seeds, etc) to further help slow the release.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    The sugar thing comes up multiple times per week, a search will yield all you want to know and then some....below is a re-post from a couple of days ago where I replied to the question about sugar....from fruit or otherwise...

Here's the thing....if you have Diabetes in your family history, mom, dad, uncles, aunts, cousins...anyone, your chances for needing to track sugar go up.

If you don't have anyone in your family with these sorts of issues, then it's widely held on MFP that you can eat what you want as long as the ultimate caloric goal is within your targets.

Personally, when I was diagnosed with blood sugar issues, the first thing I said was 'but I don't go over my sugar allotment'. However, that's not where the problem lay. The issue is the combination of sugar & carbs can overload a system that is already predisposed genetically to be precarious.

For me, it came together due to the high incidence of T2 Diabetes in my family, and the fact that I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my last child 17 yrs ago. This was further complicated by the shame of the old mindset that 'you ate your way to diabetes' which kept my family members from discussing it, so I never knew....that is....until I was diagnosed & began talking to my aunts & uncles only to find they were all diabetic

Knowing that there is a strong genetic component, I'm now aware that for my children, 17 and 24, at some time in the future when they reach about middle age, there are certain markers they need to look for.

Wish I knew all of this before. To be diagnosed with T2D at 44 is a tough row to hoe considering that though it's not necessarily preventable, but knowing would've lessened the burden & I may have been able to remain subclinical vs full blown, nonreversible,T2 diabetic well into my 60's. Once upon a time, just a generation or so ago, this was a geriatric disorder, not something prevalent at the middle aged stage of life.

Check your family history before you start watching sugar+carbs

ETA: the body does not differentiate between sugar from candy, cake, bread or pasta vs. sugar from fruit...though if you do not have a family hx of this disorder, all the sugar consumption in the world will NOT give you diabetes.