Weighing in clothes?

Options
So I might sound like a total noob but i weigh myself with clothes & shoes on (because i use the scale at the gym) so should i be subtracting something from the number it gives me? I seen another post on here about it but couldnt find it when i went back to look for it.

Replies

• janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I weigh in my clothes too (I don't think the people at Curves want to see me naked LOL). Don't worry about the weight of your clothes ... unless you are wearing a parka. Just wear the same outfit on the days you weigh, you might be off a pound or two for your naked weight but you will still know if your weight is going up or down.
  • Doll483
    Doll483 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    No. It gives you an idea of how much you've lost. If you reallyyyy want to be super accurate though, substract about a pound.
  • lyricalLies13
    Options
    Thanks! I read somewhere else something about fully clothed you need to subtract up to 5 pounds and I was like...theres no way thats possible lol
  • JuzG
    JuzG Posts: 3
    Options
    Not an exact science sadly lol. all dependent on the style of clothing (Hoodie instead of tank top, sweatshirt or t-shirt, sweatpants or leggings or shorts), fabric
    (cotton, lycra, Corduroy lol), shoe type (light weight running shoes, combat boots). Usual number can be anywhere from 3-6lbs depending on your fashion sense :-). Hope this helps.
  • 19danno77
    19danno77 Posts: 84
    Options
    Weigh your workout gear at home on a food scale in a bag on a tared plate. OR if you don't have a food scale, put all your stuff in a clean plastic bag and weigh it in a produce scale at the grocery store. Then, subtract that weight from your clothed weight.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Let me answer your question first - it depends on the clothes. Usually they're ~3 lbs (including shoes), but I would NOT exclude them.

But to get the most precision, the key is consistency... if you don't have your own scale - make sure you are wearing the same 'amount' of clothes. try to make it around the same time of day... and since you are doing it at the gym, make sure it is either before OR after your workout... don't flip-flop.

Most people prefer morning weigh-ins, because a lot less factors come into play( water retention throughout the day, amount eaten in a day, calories consumed prior to weighin) but that is just preference.

Being consistent with how/when you weigh in will give you the best estimation of your loss.

**EDIT - altered 1st line for clarity
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    So I might sound like a total noob but i weigh myself with clothes & shoes on (because i use the scale at the gym) so should i be subtracting something from the number it gives me? I seen another post on here about it but couldnt find it when i went back to look for it.

I weighed my clothes. I know which outfit i'm wearing (w/ or w/ out shoes) is either 2-3lbs.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    if you're weighing yourself at the gym, you've probably had at least a drink that day, even if not food! You may not realise, but a big glass of water weighs 1lb!

As you seem interested in accuracy, forget the gym scales and buy some of your own so you can weigh yourself first thing in the morning.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    weighing in clothes makes a big diff i think...when i weigh in clothes i generally weigh 3 lbs more...3 lbs is a big diff to me at least.
    Oh and you should weigh first thing in the morning before you eat or drink anything.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I find the most accurate measurement is in the morning, just after I wake up, before I drink anything, naked.

The variation throughout the day is up to 10 pounds, after I have eaten, drank coffee, put on clothing, make up, hair care products. So invest in a home scale, I personally find it helpful.
  • jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    Options
    I weigh myself in shoes and clothes too because I do it at work, but since I do it every day like that I'm not too concerned about it because it's a pretty good idea.... As long as you do it like that each day and not mix it up, it should be pretty accurate.
  • lyricalLies13
    Options
    I find the most accurate measurement is in the morning, just after I wake up, before I drink anything, naked.

The variation throughout the day is up to 10 pounds, after I have eaten, drank coffee, put on clothing, make up, hair care products. So invest in a home scale, I personally find it helpful.

Wow maybe I should look into getting a scale for home.

Thanks for all the answers. =]
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I read somewhere else something about fully clothed you need to subtract up to 5 pounds and I was like...theres no way thats possible lol
    With a winter coat, jeans and boots, with car keys in your pocket and a bit of loose change, it could easily be 10lb.

You can't just pick a figure, it will vary wildly. You could try weighing yourself in the same clothes every week, but honestly just get a scale and weigh yourself naked!
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    yeah you'll weigh more. but its not about the actual number, this is what i tell my clients - im a PT. as long as you are wering pretty much the same sort of thing you'll keeping variable similar. so you'll see a progress and loss. if youre intrested purely in the number, buy a pair of scales for at home and go nakey for weighing! :) i put my work clothes in a bag (not including trainers) and i was wering 2.5 lgs (about 5lbs) of clothing, that was a fleece, tracksuits 2 tops, a bra a croptop socks, undies and leggins so, yeah there was a huge differnce lol!! :) but yeah dont stress just wear the same sorta thing and do it that way :)
  • fionaface
    fionaface Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just to add my two cents...I like to weigh myself at home by myself without clothes on because I want as accurate a number as possible. Shoes can be quite heavy, and clothes can add up too (although not as much in the summertime of course).

It is also true that one scale is going to weigh you differently than the next. Also, if you need to weigh in a public place where you need to have clothes on, just try to wear the same clothes each time and pick the same scale too.
  • jessicataylor2
    Options
    It really depends on how heavy your clothes are. But since it's at the gym it's probably around a pound. If you wanna be more accurate you could take your shoes off. I still only weigh myself (unless it's at the doctors) right in the morning after I go to the bathroom, before I've eaten anything, and without my clothes. That way you only get your body weight. Not your food, water, or clothes weight.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself naked in the mornings, before I eat breakfast. That way I know my true weight and can't say the weight gain/loss is due to a lot of clothes. No excuses, it's just me on the scale. :)
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at work. I take off my shoes, but I still have a full outfit on. I just subtract 1lb or so.
  • clintbritt3
    clintbritt3 Posts: 123
    Options
    if you're weighing yourself at the gym, you've probably had at least a drink that day, even if not food! You may not realise, but a big glass of water weighs 1lb!

As you seem interested in accuracy, forget the gym scales and buy some of your own so you can weigh yourself first thing in the morning.

Yes, buy your own.... it doesn't have to be a crazy expensive one but a quality one that will give you an accurate weight (within a lb or so). I weigh myself in the mornings after I have gone to the bathroom and am in the process of changing out of my jammies, so I only have underwear on. A nurse friend of mine says this is the best, she tells her overweight patients to do the same thing. This is the weight I record, since I assume it's most accurate, although it can fluctuate if I had a high sodium meal the night before, so I usually on log my weight every week, and I take the lowest most consistent number (since mine can go up and down all day sometimes up to 5lbs) Hope this helps you :)
  • Xbwalker
    Xbwalker Posts: 65
    Options
    I strut around the gym naked before weigh in. It lets everyone know that I am about to weigh in.