For women - bloating and weighing during periods

Options
I had a questions to all gals/women. I know we all bloat during that time of the month. But my question is - Do you bloat so much that you increase your weight noticeably? like a pound or more? and Is it correct to consider weighing during periods when you aiming at weight loss either thru exercise or diet? If no when should we avoid weighing ourselves to have the correct weight.

Any thoughts anyone?

Replies

• always4vin
    Options
    I think yes! I always notice not much of a weight loss or staying the same during that time. i have also read that you can even gain a couple pounds during that time. Your body is going through all kinds of stuff during that time. (it sucks!)
  • astrogirl76
    Options
    I've been known to gain a good 4lb during TOTM. It's horrible but it does come off once I'm finished, although it can take a few days to settle down again.
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My weight goes up 3-5lbs around that time of the month.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    2-3LBS 2 days before. Down 2-3 one day after it ends.
  • kcashwheeler
    kcashwheeler Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes my scales will go up 2 to 3lbs during that time so I don't weigh or measure at all during that week.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on you. And I'm probably different in that I advocate weighing every day to see what your natural fluctuations are. Obviously you don't need to record every day, but it is so useful to know how your body changes and how it reacts to different foods.

I bloat the week before my period, then my weight actually hits it's lowest in my monthly cycle the week of.
  • northfresh
    northfresh Posts: 111
    Options
    My weight goes up 3-5lbs around that time of the month.

Same. And I feel twice as big. I have to remind myself every time or I freak out lol. I just relax, stick to my diet and exercise, and weight later.
  • Tammylyn117
    Options
    My weight always goes up at least a couple of pounds, and sometimes as much as 5 pounds when my visitor arrives. Usually even a couple of days before. It usually comes right back off after the first couple of days, but sometimes it gets frustrating, and if I'm not paying attention ti what "time of the month" it is, I have been know to get frustrated and then start to pig out with my rationalization being, "it's not working anyway, so I might as well". I have recently read a couple of articles on this subject and some of the take - a - ways I took from them include avoiding carbonated beverages, and reduce even more your sodium intake. It seems that most of this extra weight is merely water weight (bloating) and you can eleviate that by eliminating foods and drinks that can cause bloating. Good luck.
  • kjbbdoll
    kjbbdoll Posts: 86
    Options
    I may feel like crap during my TOM but I have not seen any change in the scale during TOM for the past 3+ mos. I have consistantly lost 1-2lbs every single week with the exception of 1 week where I stayed the same (and it was not my TOM). I wonder if it has to do with not only one's hormones but the amount of sodium you are consuming?
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel a bit bloated but I agree with a previous poster that it is probably the sodium intake. People attribute sudden weight fluctuations to a number of things but a lot of times it boils down to too much sodium + not enough water.

But I always avoid weighing around my period because I do gain at least a few pounds.
  • flobee76
    flobee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    like PPs, I gain anywhere from 3-5lbs during TOTM. I found that drinking "PMS" tea and granberry "Weightless" tea (in addition to plenty of water) seems o help with the bloat.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I gain apx 5 lbs right before and then as soon as it starts I lose it. The same with getting a couple of blemishes.
  • hazleyes81
    Options
    I think it depends on you. And I'm probably different in that I advocate weighing every day to see what your natural fluctuations are. Obviously you don't need to record every day, but it is so useful to know how your body changes and how it reacts to different foods.

I bloat the week before my period, then my weight actually hits it's lowest in my monthly cycle the week of.

I also try to weigh every day. It let's you see trends better (more data points) and keeps me on track.
  • hazleyes81
    Options
    I may feel like crap during my TOM but I have not seen any change in the scale during TOM for the past 3+ mos. I have consistantly lost 1-2lbs every single week with the exception of 1 week where I stayed the same (and it was not my TOM). I wonder if it has to do with not only one's hormones but the amount of sodium you are consuming?

I eat the same regardless of the time of the month so I know it isn't increase in sodium.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy and probably don't belong on this thread, but....

Why not just weigh daily for a couple of months and learn what patterns of weight variance your body has, then you'd know what to expect?
  • WendySue75
    WendySue75 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm usually a "good" 3-5 lbs up on the scale.... and pretty much comes back down by the last day... wish I could have my non-TOM weight come off like that!!
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I usually gain a pound or two- it sucks. My suggestion, try to decrease salt in your food, drink plenty of water and I usually weigh myself couple of days after my period.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I gain about 1-2 lbs in the beginning of my period. I try to just not weigh during that week.
  • diana776
    diana776 Posts: 54
    Options
    definetly! i gain weight durin my period and days before i always feel all bloated up :( .. ive a question do you usually workout while youre on your period? need help :indifferent:
  • hwesp
    hwesp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I find I can get more tired during that week but when I push and workout, I do feel better.