Opinions on two jogging strollers?

Options
omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
I'm NOT interested in plunking down $300+ for a BOB or some other popular jogging stroller. Given that, I'm interested if anyone has opinions on these two strollers:

http://www.juststrollers.com/jogging-strollers/instep/instepsafariswivelsinglejoggingstroller.cfm

or

http://www.juststrollers.com/jogging-strollers/instep/instepflashfixedwheelsinglejoggingstroller.cfm

Replies

• omma_to_3
    Options
    Anyone? Even if you're not familiar with these particular strollers (which seem to get decent reviews) what is your opinion on fixed wheel vs. swivel with the option to fix?
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I have an instep double seated jogging stroller with a fixed wheel that I just love but where I run / jog with it its mostly straight not alot of turning involved at all so its the perfect stroller for myself with two little kids. I do also have a single jogger with a swivel wheel (jeep brand) and its wonderful for everyday use. I don`t jog with it much as I really prefer my double even when I only have one of the kids with me it just runs better for me but the single is wonderful in stores and on walks in town when You need to get aound things easier as the fixed wheel dosen`t turn well
  • jaynepickle
    jaynepickle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi! We have a Schwinn Tourismo double jogger that we LOVE! We debated a long time between that one and the in-step safari. Overall, i would go with the Schwinn, mainly because you get more bang for your buck. (We researched for over 3 months before purchasing and waited for a sale). The Schwinn is just better quality, lighter (a HUGE plus), folds easily, has cup holders that hold my camelbak water bottles, etc... I can't say how much I love my double jogger. The Schwinn is slightly more expensive than the Safari, but it is a much higher quality, and it's a one time purchase so we figured the extra 50 bucks was worth it.

Also, our Schwinn has the swivel front wheel which is awesome. There is a latch right below the handle bars that locks the front wheel so that you don't have to stop and fiddle with the front. I would only recommend a fixed front wheel if you are a serious runner. ie. super fast, going for time, marathoner style... The swivel is awesome for walking around in a store, (you can turn on a dime) but you can lock the front with the push of a button and head out for a jog. It's awesome!

Hope this helps! Buying strollers is scary business! And, we have had our Schwinn for over a year and it is still in great shape! I also go running every morning with the kiddos and they are comfortable and happy. Plus, they have their own trays for cups and snacks. (3.5 year old boy and 19 month old girl fit great as well!)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-Turismo-Swivel-Wheel-Double-Jogging-Stroller-Red-and-Gray/13264740?findingMethod=rr

We even have the red one. It's the best!!! :-)
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will help, but we have a Baby Trend Americana jogging stroller that we LOVE!!! It turns on a dime, easy to maneuver, SUPER light! AND, it was under $125 out the door. Inexpensive and my hubby and I are seriously in love with it! Our 15 mth old seems to love it, too. Falls asleep every time!

I guess my point was swivel wheels are GREAT!!!!! You can always lock it if you need to.........
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Thanks guys. I don't actually need to use this stroller except when I'm exercising...I have two other strollers already for that! A Maclaren and a Jeep. So I only plan to use this when walking or running for exercise.

I'll check out the Schwinn too, but an extra $50 may be a deal breaker since my son is 2 already and I won't be using it for that long.
  • stephyy4632
    Options
    thought I would add that my instep double was only 80.00 shipped I stocked Ebay for 2months to get that deal but they do come up so yo may want to peek at ebay and check prices before buying in a store mine was also brand new and had a parents tray with it
  • stephyy4632
    Options
    Thanks guys. I don't actually need to use this stroller except when I'm exercising...I have two other strollers already for that! A Maclaren and a Jeep. So I only plan to use this when walking or running for exercise.

I'll check out the Schwinn too, but an extra $50 may be a deal breaker since my son is 2 already and I won't be using it for that long.

my girls are 6 and 5 and both still fit happily and comfy I don`t plan to stop jogging with them anytime soon as they both weight around 36pounds and the stroller go`s up to 100pounds or 50 per seat

I also baby sit a 15month old but I use the stroller mostly for my own girls as I jog more on the weekends with them
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't have either of these strollers, but would like to comment on the fixed vs swivel wheel. I had a single babytrend with a swivel that shook horribly when I would pick up speed, so I did get a BOB ironman that had a fixed wheel and the problem was solved. I tried out several of my friends swivel wheel doubles, babytrend, schwinn and had the same problem. Once I get to a good speed it starts shaking. I have friends with fixed wheel, intsep etc, doubles that are just fine to run with. I run 15-20 miles a week with my kids & instruct a stroller fitness class, so I have a BOB revolution duallie that I absolutely LOVE. But, it is also my only double stroller. I can even rollerblade behind it and it never shakes.

If you are going to be using this just for working out, I would get a fixed wheel.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Yikes, the single version of the Schwinn is $240. I can get the Instep for $110 shipped.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I don't have either of these strollers, but would like to comment on the fixed vs swivel wheel. I had a single babytrend with a swivel that shook horribly when I would pick up speed, so I did get a BOB ironman that had a fixed wheel and the problem was solved. I tried out several of my friends swivel wheel doubles, babytrend, schwinn and had the same problem. Once I get to a good speed it starts shaking. I have friends with fixed wheel, intsep etc, doubles that are just fine to run with. I run 15-20 miles a week with my kids & instruct a stroller fitness class, so I have a BOB revolution duallie that I absolutely LOVE. But, it is also my only double stroller. I can even rollerblade behind it and it never shakes.

If you are going to be using this just for working out, I would get a fixed wheel.

Thanks for that info! Very helpful. I'm thinking that's what I may do too.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I had a fixed wheel instep. It was fine. The front tire never held air though, a slow leak, was too lazy to find the right tube to replace it though.

A fixed wheel is great for running. Poor for walking, horrible in any kind of store.
    A swivel wheel is decent for running but great for walking, and OK in a store.

The fixed wheel are better for running as the front wheel's diameter is bigger so it rolls easier.

Downsides to the Insteps: heavy, Bob's are at max 50% the weight. Cheaper plastics than the bob's, and cheaper fabrics.
  • Oki6_27
    Oki6_27 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have an instep safari double stroller and love it. I haven't built my stamina up for full on running yet so I can't really say how it does at a full run. For walking and jogging it's great. Never had an issue with shaking or instability. My husband ran with it a few times and says it works fine. It fits my kids well who are 3 and 1.