I need a great low cal alfreado recipe

Options
paulieboy113
paulieboy113 Posts: 58 Member
My family loves alfreado sauce and I am looking for a great tasting low cal recipe.

thanks Paul.

Replies

• sunshinerae1978
    sunshinerae1978 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use spaghetti squash instead of the noodles, cook the chicken and i use just a jarred alfredo sauce. its really yummy and hits the spot!
  • jlg6599
    jlg6599 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jodi4861
    jodi4861 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use the whole grain pasta but the spaghetti squash sounds like a good idea too. I have done it with a mixture of skim milk, fat free half and half and a couple of those laughing cow cheeses. Top it with a little of the fresh shredded parm and it's actually really good.
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/low-fat-lite-alfredo-sauce-100488

This is the best one I have tried. I have tried a LOT. I added an extra tbsp of cornstarch to it though because it was a little runny.
  • dprincess28001
    Options
    2 tablespoons nonfat sour cream
    1 small fresh garlic clove , minced
    1 tablespoon light extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon parmesan cheese , freshly grated
    fresh ground pepper , to taste
    Directions:
    1Brown garlic in light e.v.o.o. in extra small skillet. 2Add sourcream and parmesan. 3 heat slowly and Stir until parmesan has melted. 4Pour immediately onto small serving of pasta. 5Add pepper to taste. 6Enjoy!

Use the dry parmesan cheese, less fat, and grate yourself. I use more cheese than this calls for but tastes great!
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    This is what I did, it was thin at first, but thickened up after a while!

2 cups milk (i use half percent)
    2 TB Cornstarch (I think I actually used 3 to thicken it more)
    1/2 cup parmesan cheese
    salt and pepper to taste.

I actually got the recipe from Melissa d'Arabian's bit on the food network website for "Drop 5 lbs With Good Housekeeping" show. It was part of a bigger pasta recipe, but worked great as a stand alone with shrimp and pasta :)
  • scorpiomfs
    scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    http://www.waldenfarms.com/products/sauce_pasta.html

I just heard about these products from a forum yesterday, I personally have not tried them but they say thier alfredo has zero calories. This weekend i will be near a store that sells them and will try a few products out. I do hear they are made with splenda so that might not work for you if you dont use that. You can also but it online..

maybe someone can let us know if it tastes any good

Mo:bigsmile:
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My aunt posted this on her blog a while back.
    I'll repost here:

I had a little bit of a challenge today when a reader asked if I could come up with a Healthy Alfredo Sauce. What????
    I was a little scepticle to say the least. The first couple of tries were a little disappointing. I had started out with making a base using Skim milk, flour, garlic and chicken broth, bringing it to a boil until nice and thick and then finishing with parmesan. It was little thin and not as rich and full bodied as I would like. The last batch, I bumped up to 2% milk threw in a little more garlic, a little more Parmesan, and I must say it was bang on, rich, creamy and fully of flavor. Just what you are looking for in an Alfredo Sauce - Minus the Heart Attack.
    The great thing about Alfredo Sauce is it can be morphed into a zillion dishes. Luckily I had some Mushrooms in the fridge which I loosely choped up. I then sauteed some chicken in a little olive oil with more garlic and when it was all nicely browned I added in my mushrooms until they got nice and carmelized. I then Stirred in some of the alfred sauce splashed it with a hefty dose of Marsala, and an extra hit for me, and voila a fantastic chicken marsala dishes without the calories!
    Skinny Alfredo
    1 1/2 cups 2 % milk
    1 cup low sodium chicken broth
    4 cloves minced garlic (Roasted if you prefer a milder taste)
    3 tbsp flour
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 cup low fat parmesan grated
    In a medium sauce pan place milk, chicken broth, garlic & Flour. Whisk together until mixed and heat over medium heat until sauce comes to a boil. Continue to cook until thickend. Remove from heat and stir in salt, pepper and Parmesan. Stir to combine and serve warm.

Her blog if anyone is interested: http://donnabrousseau.blogspot.ca/
  • kdrew1
    kdrew1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I would highlyl recommend this recipe by Our Best Bites: http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/08/guiltless-alfredo-sauce/

It is really delicious. My husband is obsessed with it and that tells you a lot! It's super easy too.

Enjoy!
  • scorpiomfs
    scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    buy.....
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Bump this for later! We just had alfredo last week and I had to use the jar stuff and I would like something lower in calories!
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Use the "search" function on this site (it is right above your original post) and search for the word "Alfredo" and many posts will come up.
  • BeckyProctor
    BeckyProctor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I made a chicken alfredo using spaghetti squash instead of pasta.

boneless chicken breast (bite size pieces)
    whole spaghetti squash
    frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and carrot mix
    4 wedges Laughing Cow Garlic and Herb wedges
    3/4 C. low fat shredded mozarella
    spices (garlic, basil, and black pepper)

Cut the squash in half and bake (cut side down) at 350 for 40 min.
    Cook chicken and veggies
    When Squash is done, scoop out the seeds. Then take a fork and shred the squash
    Mix everything together until the cheeses are melted.
  • kiahpyr
    kiahpyr Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Great thread. My family loves alfredo.
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    Have you tried to subscribe to Hungry Girl, it's free? She had a great alfredo receipe on their for Dr. Oz a few months back. She used the tofu noodles, and for a plate of alfredo, it was only like 210 calories the way she would make it. I haven't had a chance yet to try it.
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lhaas24
    lhaas24 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love alfredo! Bump for later :)
  • cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I use spaghetti squash instead of the noodles, cook the chicken and i use just a jarred alfredo sauce. its really yummy and hits the spot!

GREAT IDEA! I love spaghetti squash
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Sacrilege.