Does this count as Exercise?

Options
Question: I am a nurse and I work in the Observation part of the Emergency Department...It is a VERY busy unit. I am lucky if I get to sit down for a total of an hour over the course of my 12 hour shift. I am constantly on the go. I wore my Nike's last night with my Nike+ sensor and kept my ipod in my pocket all night, According to that I burned a total of 1376 calories on my shift last night. I logged it and just used walking leisurely pace and modified the number of calories to match my ipod. Does anyone know how accurate the Nike+ is? Also should I be counting my shifts at work as exercise or not? I mean it definitely feels like exercise but I have heard you aren't supposed to count them because over time your body adjusts and you are not burning as much as you were when you first started? I am still very new to this job, just started at the beginning of April so I know my body has not gotten used to this routine yet as I am only part time and work twice a week.....

Replies

• Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    yes, my wife does the same thing. you burn a lot of calories being on your feet for 12 hours, but that also means you need to modify your activity level. if youre on your feet for 11 hours you have an active job.
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    bump
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you have set your settings for MFP. If you list yourself as sedentary, then yes, log your work calories, as they are "extra". But if you set it as "moderately active" then you should not count them, because they are already worked in to MFP's recommended calories for you.

You should only log calories that are extra, meaning out of your regular work/home day. All other regular calories burned on normal days are worked into the MFP profile based on the info you provide.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    for sure.
  • sarajesssica
    sarajesssica Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question! I have been curious about the same thing...I work as a cocktail waitress & my shifts are usually 8-9 hours & I am constantly on the move & busy (usually for the entire night, except for those occasional slow nights).

I had been back & forth on whether or not to count those calories I had been burning at work, but now realize that I don't need to as my body is used to them & I adjusted my settings here.
  • ktleight82
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone I will have to go check and see what I set my activity level as when I signed up...I probably set it as sedentary as I was still in nursing school at the time and was constantly vegging out and sitting around studying lol!!!!