Pork Rinds recipes?

Options

Replies

• GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Chicharrones with scrambled eggs in a corn tortilla. :-)
    :love:
  • bane0317
    bane0317 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Where are you in NC? If you can find a local flea market or anywhere that makes them fresh it is SOOOOOO worth it! The other way is at Sam's Club you can get them in a microwave form (like microwave popcorn). They are good too!
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    http://www.ehow.com/facts_6370701_collagen-protein-its-nutritional-value_.html

Protein Quality
    Collagen is not a complete protein because it is lacking in the amino acid tryptophan. A Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAA) of a complete protein is 1.0. Collagen's PDCAA score is 0.08.

1.0 is complete. so, anyone want to argue the wrong side some more?

Why sure.

Lots of things that we eat are not completely digestible. I am just trying to figure out why if it's not digestible would my physicians team have sent me a box of collagen protein supplements to try out because I seem to be having issues with other proteins.

Just because it's a .08 doesn't mean it has no value. It's actually been shown to be more helpful in repair of connective tissue and skin issues such as serious burns than whey protein. I don't think anyone was actually arguing though, I asked a question. That's how I learn, someone says something I look at the information provided and usually look into other information on my own.

Your statement was of particular interest to me because of what my doctors sent to me. I hadn't had a chance to actually do any research. I thought maybe you would backup your statement with something valuable.
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    dip in salsa verde or use to dip guac

Also, my dad has always made this "recipe": pork rinds, avocado, lime and diced onions and tomatoes. Usually eaten with tortillas, but you can skip that part if you wish :)
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Protein Quality
    Collagen is not a complete protein because it is lacking in the amino acid tryptophan. A Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAA) of a complete protein is 1.0. Collagen's PDCAA score is 0.08.

Why sure.

Lots of things that we eat are not completely digestible. I am just trying to figure out why if it's not digestible would my physicians team have sent me a box of collagen protein supplements to try out because I seem to be having issues with other proteins.

Just because it's a .08 doesn't mean it has no value. It's actually been shown to be more helpful in repair of connective tissue and skin issues such as serious burns than whey protein. I don't think anyone was actually arguing though, I asked a question. That's how I learn, someone says something I look at the information provided and usually look into other information on my own.

Your statement was of particular interest to me because of what my doctors sent to me. I hadn't had a chance to actually do any research. I thought maybe you would backup your statement with something valuable.

you mean like i did by giving the reason it is not a valuable dietary protein?
  • RachelsReboot
    Options

Protein Quality

Why sure.

You didn't give a reason, you only showed that it places lower than whey on the scale. It has value, its far more valuable than whey protein when it comes to the repair of connective tissue.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    awesome in Campbell's bean soap!
  • Testosterone
    Options

Protein Quality

Why sure.

You didn't give a reason, you only showed that it places lower than whey on the scale. It has value, its far more valuable than whey protein when it comes to the repair of connective tissue.

lol whey isnt even on the scale. the scale is complete protein and how far off from being something usable to your body collagen is as a dietary source of protein. it said "complete protein" meaning every protein with a full amino acid profile. chicken, fish, steak, pork, bison, venison.... .08 is a long way off from 1.0
  • Testosterone
    Options
    how come eating pork rinds didnt cure my stretched mcl?
  • RachelsReboot
    Options
    Nevermind. You think I am arguing with you and you want to be rude instead of trying to present useful information and resources to back it up.
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    I think you should put them in an envelope, seal it, and send them to me.
    Mmmm, pork rinds!
  • Testosterone
    Options
    Nevermind. You think I am arguing with you and you want to be rude instead of trying to present useful information and resources to back it up.

pretty sure my information was presented. it has no nutritional value. you can inject collagen into aging joints, yeah. but as far as nutrition, its a junk food, just like fritos.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options

pretty sure my information was presented. it has no nutritional value. you can inject collagen into aging joints, yeah. but as far as nutrition, its a junk food, just like fritos.

I will have to go back and re-read once more but why would you state that it has "no nutritional value" when you already acknowledged that it has some but was just lower on the scale of being complete? Also my bag brags of it being a protein source, does not state anywhere that I can see to "not be a significant source of protein" sure its not as good for you as eating a pork chop but I don't see how you can say it has zero /no value.
  • Testosterone
    Options

I will have to go back and re-read once more but why would you state that it has "no nutritional value" when you already acknowledged that it has some but was just lower on the scale of being complete? Also my bag brags of it being a protein source, does not state anywhere that I can see to "not be a significant source of protein" sure its not as good for you as eating a pork chop but I don't see how you can say it has zero /no value.

and i said it has no nutritional value. .08 on a scale of 1.0 means it has no value as a protein. read that until you understand it. as in the only essential amino acid it has is leucine. as in it needs 7 more amino acids (and they have to be ESSENTIAL ones, not ones your body can produce) to be complete
    might wanna read the nutrition facts, where it says "not a significant source of protein"
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    The wife cooked some up tonight in a jalapeno salsa with some diced taters. Hell yeah!
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Chicharrones with scrambled eggs in a corn tortilla. :-)

OMG! It's been forever since I've had chicharrones! Going home to Texas this weekend, so I'll be getting some then!

I also remember spreading mashed avocado onto a corn tortilla, crunching up pork rinds over the avocado and rolling that sucker up! YUMMY!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options

and i said it has no nutritional value. .08 on a scale of 1.0 means it has no value as a protein. read that until you understand it. as in the only essential amino acid it has is leucine. as in it needs 7 more amino acids (and they have to be ESSENTIAL ones, not ones your body can produce) to be complete
    might wanna read the nutrition facts, where it says "not a significant source of protein"

Found the statement. Ok so it has little/no value as a protein but nutritionally it is still a form of energy for the body. Just one that lacks carbs and is extremely tasty.
  • mbcan316
    mbcan316 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I eat them plain & I prefer the "spicy" ones. Just a little crunchy snack instead of chips.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    What are they again? Deep fried skin? Or is it deep fried intestinal lining?
    deepn fried skin. collagen, no protein value.
    I thought collagen was the most abundant protein found in animals making up something like 20-30% of our entire protein content?

Yeah, thought my biology class was right.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21582/

It has low bio availability, hence why on many pork rind packages, you'll see it says "Not a significant source of protein."
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    When I was on a low carb diet many years ago, I used them for breading for my deep fried fish and scallops. No carbs. I also ate them plain for snacks. When on a low carb diet, you can't always take a chicken leg or a pork chop with you.