over my protein allowance after lunch---newbie thx!

Options
I apologize if this has already been answered----I'm over my protein allowance which is recommended at 49. I had a protein shake for breakfast and 5 oz of boiled shrimp + salad for lunch.(which brings me to 59) I just joined and have recently been gaining and loosing the same 5 lbs. MFP has my goal of 1200 calories---I usually tack on some extra caloriesby working out---I'm using Digi-Fit for accuracy there. I'm 5'4 and weigh 138
I'd like to loose 8 lbs! Thx so much for any help.

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I apologize if this has already been answered----I'm over my protein allowance which is recommended at 49. I had a protein shake for breakfast and 5 oz of boiled shrimp + salad for lunch.(which brings me to 59) I just joined and have recently been gaining and loosing the same 5 lbs. MFP has my goal of 1200 calories---I usually tack on some extra caloriesby working out---I'm using Digi-Fit for accuracy there. I'm 5'4 and weigh 138
    I'd like to loose 8 lbs! Thx so much for any help.

MFP has a low setting of 15% for protein, so don't sweat if you go over it.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    MFP targets protein very low. I would suggest 1g of protein / lb of LBM.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    MFP protein settings are super low. You can set your own macronutrient ratios to meet your own dietary needs. I usually aim for 150g protein per day.
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Worry about your calories, not your protein. If you are working out a little extra protein isn't going to hurt you. You are going great logging everything. Keep it up.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    MFP protein allowance is actually a tad low. Going over on protein is not a big deal as long as you're keeping your calories where you want them. Good luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MFP targets protein very low. I would suggest 1g of protein / lb of LBM.

^^THIS^^ I shoot for 100 or so grams of protein a day. I tweaked their "recommended" settings to get that number.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I always give myself a gold star when I go over on protein. Haha. I would consider manually adjusting your macros, because as others have said, MFP's default is set really low. I've got mine set for I think 118g/day, and that works well for me. Play around with it and see how you feel!
  • BarbBBQ
    BarbBBQ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much.
    How does one figure out lbm (lean body mass)?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much.
    How does one figure out lbm (lean body mass)?

Try this - http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I would rather be over in protein than over in carbs. Protein is much better for your muscles and body. Don't worry about it. My guess is you probably need to be eating somewhere in upwards of 100g per day anyway!
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    fast way is go to www.fat2fitradio.com/tools and do the military body fat calculator.
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the numbers that MFP gives you for Protein, Fat, Carbs. Just keep your calories at or just under the total they suggest and you'll do great. I eat veg'n a few times a week, and on those days I'm way over on carbs and way under on fat and protein, but I keep to the total calories.

I think you have to find a gym or personal trainer that has the equipment to measure lean body mass ...

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey.
  • darlingkaya
    Options
    You can change your settings if you want.. i did, i eat over 100grams of protein a day.. try to aim for 130grams... it burns more calories then carbs ;)