Anyone use an Omniron body fat device?

Options
Do you like it? It's the handheld device you input age, gender, weight and height. That's what they have at the rehab center where I work out, im just not sure how accurate it is. If it's pretty accurate I thought about ordering one for home as I often do my cardio at home before I go lift weights there. Thanks :)

Replies

• KGFitnessGuru
    Options
    I use that at my gym, its pretty accurate but the best way those manual tools ( dont know what that tool is called lol) . but its a good reference to get an idea where your at.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    BIA devices are among the worst at measuring bf levels accurately
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

+1

depending on how well hydrated you are on any particular day you can get wildly fluctuating readings.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options

What's better? Noone around here does submersive testing and we don't have bigger gyms like Gold's or Planet fitness. Do you reccomend calipers? Thanks
  • KGFitnessGuru
    Options
    it gives you a range and yes not totally accurate, the best way is measuring yourself or have a trainer at the gym figure it out. calipers ... yes that was the tool I was trying to think of. That is a more accurate way of getting your BF.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I found it very inaccurate for me.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

What's better? Noone around here does submersive testing and we don't have bigger gyms like Gold's or Planet fitness. Do you reccomend calipers? Thanks

Calipers work, but accuracy is dependent on the skill and experience of the tester.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I find its very consistant but like 17% off lol
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    ACG is going to burst my bubble again ... but...

I had a Bod-Pod test at a local university. Their sports medicine department uses it for research and offers it to the community for a fee. Do you by any chance have a college close by?
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options

I had a Bod-Pod test at a local university. Their sports medicine department uses it for research and offers it to the community for a fee. Do you by any chance have a college close by?

University of Iowa.... Go Hawkeyes! :) I'll have to check into that
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have one. I like it.

It's accuracy is not too bad (for me) compared to calipers. If I do the caliper testing, the results are close. Not sure about comparison to MRI, Dex, Bod Pod, etc.

I think it's a good tool for trending one's body fat.

I generally test several times first thing in the morning, about once a month. There is usually no significant change from one test to another on the same day. I can see over time that my body fat as trended downward.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    yep the ones you hold are useless. they dont take into account water content. they just send an electric current round your body, fats got a high water content so conducts. the end product is how much current comes back. i tell my clients to use it purely as a guide, there are slightly more reliable ones, but its probably safer to get onto a lab and get hydro or bod pod or something similar for accuracy.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options

I am hoping to do this at my local college, to bad I didn't do it when I was still a student and it would have been free. Why burst your bubble, is THAT not accurate :(
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    Options

Calipers work, but accuracy is dependent on the skill and experience of the tester.

So are you saying that's the best tool? :)
  • shedoos
    Options

I am hoping to do this at my local college, to bad I didn't do it when I was still a student and it would have been free. Why burst your bubble, is THAT not accurate :(

*sigh* it isn't perfect... but then again, neither am I... :)
  • shedoos
    Options

University of Iowa.... Go Hawkeyes! :) I'll have to check into that

I'm sure they will have one given their sports department.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    The current "gold standard" if you can get one is a DEXA scan. It will be a little more money than the BodPod or submersion test at a university. Next up would be the BodPod or submersion tests. After that Calipers in a skilled person's hands (look out, people at the gyms will all insist that they know what they are doing) - after that not even worth talking about unskilled hands with a caliper or anything that is a home device (personal use of calipers, scales with testing, hand held devices).
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Options

*sigh* it isn't perfect... but then again, neither am I... :)

Haha, Being that I am also not perfect I will take it! I just want a fairly close estimate of my body comp!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Options
    BTW, shedoos I went and peeked and your photos, you look AMAZING!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

+1

depending on how well hydrated you are on any particular day you can get wildly fluctuating readings.

I've done hydrostatic and bioelectical impedance--within 1-2% I'd say FOR ME.