22lbs in 4 months...

Options
Im feeling a little discouraged. Im feeling as if I should be losing a bit faster, but no matter how hard I try - no matter how much water I drink...Im still losing .5-1 lbs a week. A few years back when I did WW/meetings, I would have a week now and then where Id lose .5, but then the next week would be 2+. Not happening this time.

We have one splurge day on the weekend, where I generally still eat within calories. Exercise is a bit non existant right now, with a 5 month old and an active 3 year old at home, then 2 older boys in school.....not much time.

I guess what Im asking is how do I know if Im eating too many or two few calories? Im also breastfeeding, so I know that adds in there somewhere (also thinking this is why I could be loosing a bit faster than I am!!!).....It just seems like forever since Christmas, when I started and Im STILL around 20 lbs?! WTH!

Im terribly picky and wont eat salads, uncooked veggies, etc....so that is also a henderence....Im not eating junk by any means

Sorry for the ramble. I just saw a friend on FB post that shes lost 16.8 lbs in a month on WW and Im a bit frustrated.

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    22lbs in 4 months is very respectable. And I know that for me, the first 15 came of SUPER FAST but the rest has been very slow and steady. And both my trainer and nutritionist agree that 1lb a week is pretty solid and normal.

For me, I started with a goal in a year. If, by January of next year, I'm down 30lbs, that was my goal. I actually already hit that goal and it's not even June! I think keep in your mind 1)it didn't go on overnight, it's not gonna come off over night and 2)in a year from when you started, won't you be happy to look back on that passed year???

I think you're going really good! It's gonna go slow, but it WILL happen and that's better than nothing, right? :)
  • kbbeale
    kbbeale Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yeah, better than nothing thats for sure.....its also hard having a husband thats losing along with me, and he started AFTER me and is nearly to 30lbs. I know, I know - men lose differently than women, but still. LOL

Im even over the top anal about not having too much sodium in the days before my weigh in (Fridays).

I guess in the big picture I have done well....I just wish that it came off quicker and more reliably.
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You have done a great job!!

As for your hubby - men have the gift for losing weight faster than women - but we women have so many other gifts, let him have that one :)

Seriously, have you considered that you may not be eating enough to lose the weight? See this link - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

A couple years ago I learned I had to eat more to lose the weight. I just found MFP and wish I knew about it sooner. There is so much great info that I spent a good chunk of the weekend learning more about doing this right. Dig around the site, you'll find so much on this topic.

Keep up the good work!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If it's any consolation, 16.8 lbs in a month is not a very realistic target. Your friend has probably lost a lot of water along with a bit of fat and muscle. 22lbs in 4 months is great - I've lost 25 in about the same time. It is frustrating, I know, but unfortunately weight loss is slow and boring. Slow and steady really is the best way though, especially if you want to keep it off long term. If your ticker is right, and you have about 34 lbs left to lose, then 1 lb a week is a good amount to aim for now.

As for how many calories to eat - getting at least your BMR is a good start. I'm not too sure about the breast-feeding calories but I believe you can log that in your diary as "exercise" and that will tell you how many more cals to eat. Here area couple more links that might help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations
  • kbbeale
    kbbeale Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I never log my breastfeeding calories. It adds an extra 500 calories to my 1800 per day. Do you think I should try eating them to see what might happen?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    This isn't really my area of expertise, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to eat more when you're breastfeeding.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I just sent you a friend request/message.

How did you arrive at the 1800 calorie goal? You should definitely add cals for nursing but first you need to know if the 1800 is correct. I also don't think your weight loss so far is that slow.