Tough Mudder

Options
I completed the Tri-State Tough Mudder in NJ in 2010 and 2011 and the courses were basically the same. I am signed up for 2012 Pennsylvania Tough Mudder in May and the Tri-State one again in Oct 2012. I assumed that the NJ obstacles and course would be the same in 2012 as 2011 and 2010. I just reviewed the event page and saw that there are some newbies that may are kinda scaring me a bit! LOL

They ahve a new one that they call "Shocks on the Rocks" and the caption reads "The colossal obstacle nightmare of Arctic Enema meets Kiss of Death meets Electroshock Therapy challenges you to face all your fears at once."

At least when I ran through electirc wires, i could run really fast and dive through them, but not while I crawl on my face in the mud and water with wires and probably barbed wire overhead.

That being said, I CAN'T WAIT!!! Anyone else feel the same?

Replies

• chelseachelsea1991
    chelseachelsea1991 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    That's crazy! I'm signed up for my first Tough Mudder in Norcal in Sept of this year. I'm excited but the Electroshock Therapy obstacle is scaring the crap outta me....like you said though...CAN'T WAIT!
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    ...and it went from about 10 miles to 12 miles according to the map! I guess I should have looked before I signed up!
  • M2DandA
    M2DandA Posts: 12
    Options
    Good for you! I'm registered for the May 19th TM in the Twin Cities (12 miles - 29 obstacles). But I don't think I'm quite ready yet (registered months ago). :( I was hoping I'd be further along in my running. They already have the schedule up for 2013, and it's back in MN in July, and I WILL be there. No if's, and's, or but's!

You'll do great. It's kinda scary looking at the obstacles though. ;)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm in it to win it for the September Maryland Mudder . . . I'm so fing excited I can hardly contain myself! Giddy comes to mind . . .
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    ...and it went from about 10 miles to 12 miles according to the map! I guess I should have looked before I signed up!
    They changed our course last minute in January. From 10.5 to 12.5 miles, and added 9 obstacles. Just when you think you are ready... lol

You, sir, are a Tough Mudder addict. Giddy may be an understatement in your case. : ) I’m very jealous of your impending event. I am totally stoked about my next one…and that likely isn’t until October.

“They have a new one that they call "Shocks on the Rocks"”, we had this in Az. In fact, I think we were the debut for that obstacle. Since our course was very flat so they were looking for new ways to punish us. lol It’s not nearly as bad as it looks on paper. The voltage was MUCH lower than Electroshock Therapy. No 10 k’s, prolly all 1-2K.
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Did the Michigan/Ohio TM on 04/14/2012. I've been invited to join a different team for the 09/15/2012 one in Wisconsin. I have a Warrior Dash or two in between for fun.
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Mid Atlantic in September and absolutely stoked! Hooooooooooooo yaa!
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yeah man that sounds really cool. Do you run this on your own or with a team? I will have to check them out! Good luck.
  • tamerkins2
    tamerkins2 Posts: 212
    Options
    I am signed up to do Rugged Maniac in September in MN, which I am SO excited for!! I plan to work my way up to a Tough Mudder next year. It looks so intense and I cannot wait to try it.
  • BradyMommy
    BradyMommy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Doing a Tough Mudder is on my bucket list! I am hoping for the SoCal 2013 TM. I can't wait!!!!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Tough Mudder isn't coming to Tennessee until next year, but I'll be signing up for it! I'd love to get a team together for it, maybe some MFP'ers in the area will sign up with me!
  • Melzicious
    Options
    I'm doing the Carolina TM in October, can't wait!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    whooooooooooooo!!

im doing it this saturday!! wish me luck hahahha -- arctice enema is gonna be fun!! and jumping off the deck 15 feet to water -- i'm freaking pumped.

only thing i dont wanna do is the death march up the ski slope
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who was disappointed that this wasn't some sort of Firefly thread?

$(KGrHqN,!psE63ZjR16ZBPBpNj6tK!~~60_35.JPG
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    "Shocks on the Rocks" looks hectic doesn't it? My brother in law did NorCal last year and totally made me want to do it. Doubt I'll be ready this year, but you can bet I'll be getting shocked in Tahoe next September!
  • 84jeepster
    Options
    A few of us sign up individually but run together. It's a blast to run with friends but we don't feel like dealing with team stuff. Lol
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    A few of us sign up individually but run together. It's a blast to run with friends but we don't feel like dealing with team stuff. Lol

I'll let ya know how it goes since you running the may one in PA -- should be a blast-- we have a small team so we can really break through it :)
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Less than 4 weeks for the TM Twin Cities!! I've had this in my brain since January and haven't let up with training. The thing that scares me has evolved. First it was the distance and the rope climb. Then the electroshock ones. That bothered me for several weeks. Back to the ropes scaring me. I got that down. Now I'm back to the distance being a concern (I've been focused on building strength). Also, the arctic enema has me concerned. And that quarter pipe thing.

All that said, I can't wait!!!
  • 84jeepster
    Options
    In all seriousness, these events are a ton of fun and should not be a source of stress. They supposed to be tough, but still fun! The obstacles are tough but 99.9% of fellow mudders stop to help everyone out rather than race for a fast time, regardless if they are on your team or not. It's all about comraderie.

The distance can be intimidating, but here is my take on it. The obstacles break it up a little. You finish an obstacle and while running to the next one you are talking about the obstacle with fellow mudders. Then the conversation switches to what obstacle you think is next and how you plan to tackle that one. Next thing you know, you are at the obstacle, completing it and moving on. The cycle continues and all of a sudden, someone hands you an orange tough Mudder headband on the other side of the finish line.

Seriously, we wouldn't sign up if we didn't think we could do it. WE GOT THIS!!!!
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    i really wanted to do tne Tough mudder this year.. i did the Warrior last year.. but knee surgery in September has set me back.. and the fact that it hasnt' healed right or at all.. is not a good thing.. working twords it for next summer.