Who uses Advair & has side effects?

Options
JoolieW68
JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
Anyone else here use Advair and have times where you feel like your heart is thumping super hard - even when you're just sitting still, or trying to sleep? I've been using it for a little over 2 years, and recently started having (or at least noticing more) episodes where it feels like my pulse is super hard - and if I feel my pulse it feels like it's skipping a beat now and then.

DISCLAIMER: I have an appt to go see a doctor already, so please don't tell me to go see one...way ahead of you :smile:

I run 4+ times per week (3+ miles at a time 10 min pace or less). I have been tracking when these episodes happen, and am not seeing any pattern - like after a run, after I use the Advair, after I've eaten something, etc.

I was just reading up on it more and one of the side effects is a thumping heart beat and/or palpitations. Just wondering if anyone else who is using this med has experienced the same.

Replies

• albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    i have used it for years with no side effects..........
  • happypath101
    Options
    I used it for a while. I noticed that for sure. It's a known side effect: http://www.bing.com/health/article/goldstandard-GS749/Fluticasone-Salmeterol-inhalation-powder?q=advair&FORM=ECARDA#sideffects

I also had trouble with my attitude. Honestly, I was getting SO stressed out at work and easily annoyed and stuff. I'm not sure if Advair is a steroid, but a lot of asthma meds are. Granted, I was taking other asthma at the same time, but anyway, I really had to make myself calm down when I was on these meds. I was sort of like a red-headed incredible hulk - without the muscles. Anyway....

For what it's worth, I added in accupuncture and was able to wean myself off of the meds. I'm not pretending it will work for everyone. But, I went through more than a decade with a lung infection every winter. Once I started accupuncture, my asthma was under control, and the lung infections stopped - even without other meds. I can't tell you how happy that makes me.
  • cjipping
    cjipping Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Happens with me a lot when I use my abluterol inhaler, i get really shaky too. I think the increase heart rate has something to do with it being a steroid. I'm not a doctor so don't quote me on that. I've had asthma my whole life and I still get that feeling every time I use it. Let me know if you find out that this isn't normal:)
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    Options
    I am biased...but you should talk to your pharmacist about it. It's their job to know about the medications. Call the one where you get your refills at, they should be able to at least give you some information to work with.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I could not tolerate Advair...I had chronic thrush issues with it and it beat my immune system all to hell--so I ended up sick all the time. I've been MUCH better on Qvar with a spacer device, which also doesn't have the long-acting bronchodilator. That drug has some scary side-effects and risk potential.
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    bumping!
  • syradove
    syradove Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have used Adviar off an on in the last 5 years and not only do I NOT feel side effects, I don't feel anything at all! :( I get great results with my Albuterol, but nothing from Advair ( I understand they are totally different ) but still, waiting for something??
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    I started taking Advair because I was using my albuterol inhaler every single day due to shortness of breath. Sometimes multiple times a day. My former doc just continued to write the prescriptions for me and I kept using it. He retired and the new doc I got refused to do that (I wasn't happy at the time, either), and made me go to an allergist.

Fast forward 2 1/2 years and I a have been getting allergy shots for everything under the sun (they have helped so much I was able to get a cat!) and the Advair made the frequent asthma attacks stop. I do carry the albuterol and occasionally use it when I exercise, but not nearly as often as I was.
  • oharabears
    Options
    I took Advair for about 3 days, and it made me feel like a lunatic. I have an arrhythmia anyway, and the Advair really aggravated it, but I also had some weird mental side effects! Not fun. Allergy shots have helped me too--immensely! I was able to discontinue all asthma meds.
  • kzooprincess
    kzooprincess Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've used Advair for years and the only real side effect I've noticed is if I take it after 8pm, I probably won't sleep well. It tends to keep me up.

My insurance just moved this to the non-preferred list, so it now costs $80!! I'm going to have to switch to Dulera or Qvar because I just can't afford that every month.
  • happypath101
    Options
    FYI: I noticed someone posted about thrush issues. A friend recommended Oregeno Oil to me. A few drops under the tongue and it beat the thrush for me. It tastes like h-e-double-hockey-sticks, but it really works and you get used to it over time. :O)
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    FYI: I noticed someone posted about thrush issues. A friend recommended Oregeno Oil to me. A few drops under the tongue and it beat the thrush for me. It tastes like h-e-double-hockey-sticks, but it really works and you get used to it over time. :O)

Ha, I think that was one of the remedies I tried...unfortunately it didn't help. I kept having to do multi-week courses of Diflucan, only to have it return. I tried everything...gargling and brushing my tongue after taking it, strong probiotics, you name it. I think part of the problem was the effect it was having on my immune function. It was allowing yeast fungus to overgrow. Miserable stuff.
  • sassyleo73
    sassyleo73 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    im in the same boat. I have asthma and allergies. I take advair when i feel something coming on in my lungs. I did the whole shot thing for 9yrs. since I have stopped them i get bronchitis about 3 time a year! my dr said she has noticed an increase in patents developing bronchitis more f recently from patients that stopped shots.. don't know if its true or not. But any way she put me on singular and nasacort to help keep my airways clear for prevention. I also take allegra at night and claritain in the morning. so far this seems to be working for me. it has really cut down on my advair and abuteral use.
  • HauteT
    HauteT Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I gained alot of weight on advair but it did work. I am on Alvesco now and it is wonderful! No side effects and haven't had to use resuce inhaler since I started it!
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, all. I think I will go see my allergist first about switching from Advair to something else....