Chocolate?!

Options
I am trying to eat between 1500 - 1650 cals per day. I am trying to stick with a fairly standard healthy diet- lots of fruit and veg, lean meat etc etc. I am also trying to eat moderately low carb ( no bread, pasta potatoes) as I find this works well for me. Due to all of the above, I am struggling a little bit to hit the calorie goal. I have added in almonds as a snack to up the intake but have also started eating a few squares of dark chocolate after dinner ( I ADORE dark chocolate- particularly with mint). Do you think this is ok or should it be more of an occasional treat? Currently I am eating it every day ( although staying within calories). Thoughts?!

Replies

• Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If you hit your calorie goal and your diet has a reasonable amount of balance, you're fine.
  • Jesslhernandez
    Jesslhernandez Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i would keep it as a treat , but thats just me, mix up your treats and try looking ups some recipies to add to your calorie count. sometimes a shake can help .
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Yes, keep them in your diet. I have a piece or two of chocolate almost every day myself. It is perfectly fine. =)
  • flowergirl9999
    Options
    i think its probably a bit daft giving up totally on the pasta, rice and potatoes and having chocalate to supplement your calorie intake. if your not going to go down the no carb route for the rest of your life its pretty much a waste of time doing it for even a short time as the weight just goes straight back on when you eat carbs again. stick with the choccy as a nice reward or treat and have the potatoes rice and pasta but have the pasta and rice wholewheat and brown as its much better for you. as long as you log every calorie nothing should be off-limits cos its hard enough as it is dieting without putting extra hurdles in the way. best of luck to you x
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's fine to have it every day, but it does seem to kind of defeat the object of going low-carb doesn't it?
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a bit of dark chocolate at the end of the day as a treat... as long as you're only eating a few small pieces, what would be the harm? :) Enjoy your successes!
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I go with keeping the chocolate... if it is good for your soul it is goo for your body xxx this is long term x I have two of the finest chocolates every single day xxx
  • ppar73
    ppar73 Posts: 6
    Options
    Yup, go ahead and keep it. Dark Chocolate that is the type that has 65% or more cocoa has health benefits and anti-oxident properties. Not only is it yummy but its good for you. 3 squares is very reasonable and a wonderful treat to allow ourself, once again if your staying within your calorie range.

Eat that treat!!
  • Scoats13
    Scoats13 Posts: 1
    Options
    Dark chocolate is pretty high in fiber. If you are eating 70% or greater a few pieces shouldn't hurt you. Just make sure you ration your portion and hide the rest until the next day's rationing.

I like to have a little bit of chocolate at breakfast. That seems to keep me from having much interest in sweets for the rest of the day.

A couple of pieces of chocolate a night might be incentive for you to do some more cardio during the day.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I saw keep the chocolate - not as if you are eating 5 whole bars. If it fits in your calorie goal - GO FOR IT! No sense in denying yourself things you enjoy. Denying yourself only leads to failure.

Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Yup, go ahead and keep it. Dark Chocolate that is the type that has 65% or more cocoa has health benefits and anti-oxident properties. Not only is it yummy but its good for you. 3 squares is very reasonable and a wonderful treat to allow ourself, once again if your staying within your calorie range.

Eat that treat!!

I second this. Google "dark chocolate health benefits" -- it's probably healthier than potatoes (smaller portions required unfortunately).
  • Marquism123
    Options
    i think its probably a bit daft giving up totally on the pasta, rice and potatoes and having chocalate to supplement your calorie intake. if your not going to go down the no carb route for the rest of your life its pretty much a waste of time doing it for even a short time as the weight just goes straight back on when you eat carbs again. stick with the choccy as a nice reward or treat and have the potatoes rice and pasta but have the pasta and rice wholewheat and brown as its much better for you. as long as you log every calorie nothing should be off-limits cos its hard enough as it is dieting without putting extra hurdles in the way. best of luck to you x

You are probably very right but the problem is I don't like rice and cannot stand wholemeal pasta!! I only like the white stuff - bread, wraps,white pasta, cakes and scones - so really prefer to avoid! Am not cutting out carbs - I still will eat Bran flakes for breakfast, Ryvita and plenty of fruit. Perhaps some wholemeal bread in the mornings. I make sure I log everything I eat - just need to find more interesting alternatives!
  • ppar73
    ppar73 Posts: 6
    Options
    I absolutely eat super low carb all the time and chocolate is not a normal carb. A rescent study showed that those that eat chocolate are thinner...I dont eat any potatos or rice or pasta whole wheat or grain much at all. I also keep my dairy on low...because I gain tons of weight when I eat it and the body actually needs very little of those things. I stick mediterranean with maybe some whole wheat toast or a wheat wrap but its not pointless to cut it out as long as when you lose the weight you intend on keeping it out. I rarely eat the stuff unless I have to. :wink:
  • terryjo623
    terryjo623 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    definite keeper, as long as its is in small amounts,enjoy it
  • Marquism123
    Options
    Thanks to all those encouraging the consumption of chocolate - my type of advice :-)
  • sensualmess
    sensualmess Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    everyone needs a treat! I think it's ok just in moderate amounts! :) Maybe try something different as well, like a fruit salad or something that would be sweet.. :)
  • NWdreaming
    NWdreaming Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a little dark chocolate everyday and I'm moving down the scale still, so I say in moderation it's good! Keeps my sweet tooth happy without feeling the urge to binge.

11490831.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate is great for you. I do the same just log the calories.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    i think its probably a bit daft giving up totally on the pasta, rice and potatoes and having chocalate to supplement your calorie intake.

I agree with this. You do need carbs.