Healthy Carbs?

Options
Any suggestions for healthy carbs to include in my diet? I'm torn when it comes to carbs since I've been told to remove them completely and others have said I need them for a balanced diet. Ultimately, I want to lose weight and be healthy. I'm not looking for extreme but I want to see results and maintain a balanced lifestyle. What carbs do you enjoy and consider healthy?

Replies

• wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Brown Rice, Quinoa, Bulga, apples, berries.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Healthy is entirely dependent on the content of your overall diet along with your dietary needs.
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I used to take the time to really cut down on carbs, but then I realized a low-carb and high-protein diet was not for me. I basically eat whatever carbs I want (although not in excess) as long as they are natural, which goes with the rest of my diet. Examples would include ezekiel bread, brown rice, quinoa, steel cut oats, and couscous. And of course carbs from fruits and vegetables. I've found that mango and pineapple both have a lot of carbs, but that's not going to stop me from eating them xP I try to stick to one serving size at a time (ex: one slice of bread, 1/2 cup cooked rice, etc) and avoid processed carbs (such as the ones found in pastries, muffins, baguettes, white pasta) as much as possible.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    fruit, rice, ice cream, cookies. I would stay away from the emo carbs.....they are not healthy.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Google, Low Glycemic Index Carbs, those are the ones that process slower in your blood stream. When it comes to carbs, the thing is to remember the carbs themselves is not what's bad, it's the way they are eaten and the over abundance amount. Generally when people eat carbs they eat unhealthy sugary carbs like sweets and donuts etc.

Eating these kind of carbs spikes the blood sugar resulting in A.) craving of more carbs and B) hungry only a short time after eating said carbs.

Low Glycemic Index Carbs have little to no impact on the your blood sugar, keeping you full longer and preventing you from craving those high sugar carbs a short while after eating.

The South beach Diet is a very good resource for Low Glycemic Eating.
  • smithybird
    Options
    excellent question, I've been thinking the same thing
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    Oats and breads/pastas/rice from whole grain. When I crave fruit I know it's because I need carbs, so I mix the fast acting carb (fruit) with the slow one (e.g oats) and some protein and I feel great after!
  • Bdde
    Bdde Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think our bodies need some carbs.... I just noticed that juice from a lemon has 8 grams of carbs! And these types of carbs can't be bad. I know that veggies also have carbs and i wouldn't think a healthy diet cuts those out as well.

I am going to try to avoid anything beyond 60 g of carb a day. I hope this works for me.
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options
    Oats, brown rice, quinoa, lentils, veggies, fruit, chickpeas, beans, corn, nuts, seeds, wholemeal crackers...All healthy types of carbs.

I try to aim for a ratio of 50% Carbs, 30% protein and 20% healthy fats. I hope to get this down to 40-30-30 but at the moment I'm just making small steps. You can change your macro settings in your "Goals" section.

I don't think eliminating any sort of food group from your diet is a healthy or sustainable lifestyle choice.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have cut out all processed foods, including white flour and sugar. I really enjoy quinoa, farro, wheat berries, forbidden rice, ezekiel bread, brown rice. I use whole wheat flour for baking. If I use sugar, I use turbinado sugar, which is raw sugar. Good luck finding foods you enjoy!!